Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    First time my L920 dropped, and it got scratched up. At least it didn't break I guess but those scratches annoy the **** out of me.. Scratch resistance my ***!
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 07-31-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Global Posts
    901 Global Posts
    lol, sucks.

I always put a screen protector on. just in case :)

Scratch resistant, not scratch proof. You only need to see a gorilla glass screen next to a normal glass or plastic screen after a year of use to see how much better it is.

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    It was likely the coating on top of gorilla glass that was scratched, not the actual glass.

Gorilla Glass protection doesn't mean "unbreakable" glass...

Gorilla Glass, not bullet proof glass, try dropping a Samsung phone like the way u dropped ur 920

After dropping my brand new 920 and denting the corner, I realised how stupid it was not to put a case on.
    Thanked by:
    RiSbO_28 likes this.

I've got the 8X and the Gorilla glass 2 is brilliant but that doesn't mean I don't have to take care. It's thin so that sheds weight but increases overall fragility somewhat. I've so far resisted the temptation to add a protector or a case not because I'm a daredevil but because I like and appreciate the shell design so much, I can't bear to cover it up in anything. However, in almost 8 months of usage, in and out of various pockets, alongside keys and coins, I've not picked up a single scratch or scuff that I can detect - that's what it does best. I still have to take care though, a drop from a reasonable height on anything other than pile carpet is likely to crack it.

2 years of iPhone 4 no case-no marks. 2 weeks with L925, lots of hairline scratches up left side of screen. Its not great glass.

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    I will not buy a phone personally that I feel needs a case or other protection. Since november with my 920, no scratches or other damage. Ive managed to drop it 2-3 times. I dont keep anything else in the pocket the phone is in.
    Windows 8.1 PC, Lumia 930, Surface Pro 3, Xbox One
    tgr42 and In Limbo like this.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Just be happy that we can replace the glass on the 920 with ease compared to an iDevice or Galaxy device. Too bad it's $80 for the digitizer compared to around $30 for the other guys.
    original.gif
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I will not buy a phone personally that I feel needs a case or other protection. Since november with my 920, no scratches or other damage. Ive managed to drop it 2-3 times. I dont keep anything else in the pocket the phone is in.
    and your phone's resale value will be **** when the time comes.

Global Posts
    1,934 Global Posts
    I had a 8X for 3 months and never even had a scrach on the screen... I am carefull but, I also have kids and always running around crazy, so crap happens. It was dropped a few times and put in a area where I thought a scrach would happen but, after 3 months, the phone still looked mint with no scraches or damage on the case....

Gorilla Glass is strong but, not perfect by any means. I have seen some devices really beat up....but, I have some others look flawless after 6-8 months. I guess it's all how you care for your device. If your prone to dropping your phone, then you should have a nice strong case. Personally me, I hate the look of cases on a sexy phone and I think it wrecks the look and the feel of the device.

I will never use a case on any of my phones, if I drop it and it breaks, I have to fix it myself or pay the $100 to get another one (insurance)...and that is the cost to go caseless but, I think it's worth it...
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    I don't typically sell my phones, I keep the previous one as a backup phone in case my main phone is temporarily unavailable for whatever reason. And when I have a new phone and my previous phone is the backup, the "2nd backup" is usually old enough already that it's not worth the effort to sell. That said, my N8 still has better camera than most sub-100€ digital cameras out there (except for optical zoom), so I wouldn't want to sell it anyways, as I have it around also for my fiancee to use if she wants to take good pics. Same will likely go for the 920 when the time comes to upgrade, I'll likely want to keep it around for it's camera.

Also, I can almost bet you that my previous phones that have never had protection are in better condition than most protected phones owned by this forums' users after the same amount of use :D My N8 after almost 2 of every day use is still pretty much pristine. At least nothing that an ugly, clumsy case would've protected.

I've yet to break a single phone in my life. Probably when the screen shatters when I drop my phone accidently I will probably have to re-evaluate my stance in all of this, but I doubt I'd even then go for a case.
    Cheewii Poon and In Limbo like this.

can you recommend me one ?

apeterson93
    lol, sucks.

I always put a screen protector on. just in case :)
    Gorilla Glass from my experience is more shatter proof than scratch resistant. My Lumia 920 (bought on launch day) has about 5 hairline scratches from just putting it in my pocket alone with no other items. One day I was walking while listening to music and my phone slipped out of my hand and landed on the screen. To my surprise, the screen did NOT shatter or crack but a period sized hole was left right above the back button. This proved to me that gorilla glass is more shatter resistant than scratch resistant. I want a tempered glass screen protector like Bodyguardz Pure, but they couldn't make it because of the curved glass of the 920 (I don't think they tried hard enough)
    HaibaneReki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer BIGxyz View Post
    Gorilla Glass from my experience is more shatter proof than scratch resistant. My Lumia 920 (bought on launch day) has about 5 hairline scratches from just putting it in my pocket alone with no other items. One day I was walking while listening to music and my phone slipped out of my hand and landed on the screen. To my surprise, the screen did NOT shatter or crack but a period sized hole was left right above the back button. This proved to me that gorilla glass is more shatter resistant than scratch resistant. I want a tempered glass screen protector like Bodyguardz Pure, but they couldn't make it because of the curved glass of the 920 (I don't think they tried hard enough)
    I've had simular issue's; i got 2 hairline scratches in the middle of the screen of just normal usage [like you said, just from putting it in your pocket]
    To be honest i was kinda shocked that my ''lumia 920 tank'' already got scratches on it so i made an complaint to nokia.
    Anyway some time later i dropped my phone from concrete stairs [like 3 floors down] and it bounces a couple of times and it had 0 scratches on the screen and only some light scratches on the back side...

So yeah, its more crack/shatter proof

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    Heh. Your arguement reminds me of going into someones home and seeing that nasty clear plastic covering all of the furniture. And carpeting. If you buy something and have to use such extreme measures to protect it then maybe you shouldn't have gotten it in the first place.

I'm not one that tears my stuff up but I also don't go out of my way to ensure things stay pristine either.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    James8561 likes this.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer BIGxyz View Post
    This is so true, is more shatter resistant than scratch resistant.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I have a case on my phone, but I don't have a screen protector, I don't like the feel of the screen with a screen protector.

I had an amazing glossy one on, but ripped it off, that screen is so beautiful its worth the risk. Also had a matte one on before and that felt really good too

Sent from my windows phone

Don't misunderstand the gorilla glass capabilites, it only "protects" from slight scratches. However it's a different deal talking about drops. As far as I know gorilla glass isn't more than a super glass and only glass that's because it doesn't give you full scratch protection, because is only glass :)

PIN
    Email
    Personally I found that gorilla glass is what it is cracked up to be - some phones are nearly unscratchable, whereas some just pick up scratches like mad. I guess the creation process doesn't create equal batches. For example my L920 got scratched a deep one at that by a small paper clip - my heart sank when i saw it, however one of my friends phone didn't even scratch one bit when he bent a paper clip and scratched along his L920... he did it to prove me wrong lol.

Furthermore I was speaking to my brother in law about it and he also noticed the same thing, he said that he noticed several GS3's also so scratched up you'd think they had no gorilla glass at all but his still looked brand new. He wanted to trade it for my L920 so he could use it for a day, unfortunately I couldn't say yes I need my phone for work lol as I managed to convince him to try out WP. Hopefully he has managed to get down carphone warehouse to try them out. But knowing my luck the display units will be either dead or shelved in a corner and the CR will know nothing about WP.
    Can We Auto-Correct Humanity?

Centralised folder for game data + saves, which in turn is backed upto the cloud.

User voice vote link

Vote here for smart dialing!!!

User voice vote link for smart dialing

Vote for Jen Taylors voice in english speaking countries (my ears are still bleeding after listening to UK version of Cortana ) :
    User Voice link

Forum Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinJnr View Post
    2 years of iPhone 4 no case-no marks. 2 weeks with L925, lots of hairline scratches up left side of screen. Its not great glass.
    From what I've read, this likely has more to do with the outer clear black coating that provides better sunlight visibility.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast