After an hour of no signal, phone does not recover

Lumia928

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Not the best title but couldn't explain it better...

Basically I've noticed recently if I put my Lumia 920 in a metal draw or I'm in a building for a while without any signal (I seem to think its about an hour or so), the phone then never regains signal until it is switched off and on.

Anyone else experienced this? Does it need to go back to Nokia?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I want to clarify, you stated your 920, but your username is Lumia928. These are two different phones on two different carriers.

How long have you had the phone? Have you tried a soft reset? Hard reset?

Sometimes these phones have a glitch right out of the box and it just needs to be reset. It happened with my L822. Fortunately with my L928 it has been rock strong.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to clarify, you stated your 920, but your username is Lumia928. These are two different phones on two different carriers.

How long have you had the phone? Have you tried a soft reset? Hard reset?

Sometimes these phones have a glitch right out of the box and it just needs to be reset. It happened with my L822. Fortunately with my L928 it has been rock strong.

Experiencing this with my latest replacement 8X, but only with data. I generally just toggle "Airplane Mode" on for a minute, then off and it comes back. Its been irking the heck out of me, even though its a "simple" fix..

Lumia928

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 - UK on T-mobile, I just predicted there would be a 928 before it was announced hence username!

Have had the phone for a couple of months and it only seems to have started doing it the past month.

Have tried a soft reset now, but I'm wondering if there is a fault in the cellular chip or something and it is overheating or crashing trying to search for a signal when there isn't one.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is by design to save battery, nothing unusual. My old dumb phone will simply turn itself off in this situation. Low or no signal consumes most battery juice as the phone tries to boost its own signal output to reach the non-reachable tower. As such, phones are designed to slowly space out this re-try attempts to preserve the battery, e.g. from re-try every few seconds to every few minutes or even once every hour or so. Typically, you simply need to toggle the flight mode on and off to bring the phone out of this power saving cycle.

Lumia928

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
1 hour is not unacceptable imho, but the phone does not recover even after 12+ hours so it clearly isn't an intended feature.

Could do without giving it a hard reset but needs must I think.

Intrestingly after a soft reboot it seems to pick up a better signal for a bit. I think perhaps there is a hardware fault and the hard reset won't fix either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos