Field test in GDR 2?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
oh man i really hope the GDR2 update doesnt disable the field testing (currently works on my Rogers L920)....i actually use it to troubleshoot some scenarios aside from forcing to a specific data connection (which i find its inconsistent, sometimes it works and sometimes not). Its a cool tool i like to have avaliable, gives me # of cells available, signal strengths and other neat ratios.

gothfebrio

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
if you select 3g it will try to use 3g unless there is no 3g then it will switch to 2g..
If you force it and there is no 3g you won't have an connection?

thats correct. the phone tends to change to a lower speed with stronger signal to save the battery. he just need the speed at his location and doesnt mind the battery.

Its gone on my amber l920 as well. but my phone is always on 4G these few days even with 2 bars, last time(before amber) it was like 3G and 4G depending whether im upstairs on downstairs. this is a very welcoming improvement.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Again thats upto Nokia and not MS. MS provides the OS, this is a firmware feature which only Nokia can enable. This is not available on other WPs hence its a Nokia only feature

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure whether this is available on other phones/platforms since enabling this/forcing 3G only can not only have disastrous battery issues but also cut off your signal forever (if you force 3G only in an area which has only 2G for the n/w). Field test mode was made only for Nokia engineers when needed and not for the users. I highly doubt MS/Nokia will enable it though (if they have purposely disabled it)

Chand Darling

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Not sure whether this is available on other phones/platforms since enabling this/forcing 3G only can not only have disastrous battery issues but also cut off your signal forever (if you force 3G only in an area which has only 2G for the n/w). Field test mode was made only for Nokia engineers when needed and not for the users. I highly doubt MS/Nokia will enable it though (if they have purposely disabled it)

It is upto users to lock their signal to 3G or 2G, I agree that 3G takes more power but they can keep a warning and let the user choose what to do with that.

If they disable field test, they shud make a app to lock signals. Andriod and Other OS got this option!

gothfebrio

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Galaxy s, s2, s3, s4 have this, not sure about other manufacturers. Other OS like Symbian also have this. iOS on the other hand is almost like windows phone, they can only turn off the highest connection.

its not about relevant or not. The feature was there and people use it even its hidden while the update removed it.

not many people have stalkers, but pretty sure no one wants the sms+call feature to be removed.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Features depend on carriers/country's telecom laws/manufacturer's regional protocols, etc. Eg AT&T here in the US has disabled highest connection speed and the ##3282# menu since a while on all its Lumia ROMS while my Rogers 920 from CA has all it enabled, not sure why AT&T has and Rogers hasn't but they might have a reason for it. If Nokia disabled the field test menu on all phones then they might have a reason for it as well.

And I do agree, IOS is like WP since they are closed systems while Android can be altered as needed by the manufacturer. Field test was/is never considered a core OS feature and is something that's definitely not on Nokia's priority list so enabling it is something unforeseeable as of now

Chand Darling

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Features depend on carriers/country's telecom laws/manufacturer's regional protocols, etc. Eg AT&T here in the US has disabled highest connection speed and the ##3282# menu since a while on all its Lumia ROMS while my Rogers 920 from CA has all it enabled, not sure why AT&T has and Rogers hasn't but they might have a reason for it. If Nokia disabled the field test menu on all phones then they might have a reason for it as well.

And I do agree, IOS is like WP since they are closed systems while Android can be altered as needed by the manufacturer. Field test was/is never considered a core OS feature and is something that's definitely not on Nokia's priority list so enabling it is something unforeseeable as of now

Even Unbranded device also can't access field test!