Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
October 8th update: Clarification on not currently being able to go back to the stock ATT ROM.
*I take no responsibility if anything happens to your device. That said, me and many other people have done this without issue, so proceed with caution.*
This is a guide to flash GDR2/Amber on your Lumia 920 (RM-820 or RM-821).​
Why should I flash my phone?:cool:
Flashing this ROM has many pros, like:
-No carrier logo on bootup
- there's a way to get FREE internet sharing on at&t if you have any data plan.
-No carrier crapware
-Data Sense, which isn't expected to come to the Lumia 920 on at&t and other carriers
-Ability to install new nokia apps, like Pro cam, Smart cam, Video upload, and Video trimmer.
-No need to wait until your carrier delivers the OTA update
-This ROM gives you FM radio
-You'll receive future OTA updates.

Why shouldn't I flash my phone?:crying:
-As with all flashing there is a small chance of
bricking your device.
-Currently, there is no way to go back to official ATT ROM. This may change once/if ATT releases the GDR2 update.
-Voids your warrantee if you don't flash back to stock before sending in your device.
-At&t and other carriers *might* deliver this update soon.
-You won't be able to restore a full backup (at least not on AT&T) if you flash this ROM due to the need to switch to LTE 2 through access point, which, like Wi-Fi (FIX THIS MICROSOFT!), doesn't pop up until after you're asked to sign in with your Live ID.
-Some people have reported not being able to use tethering after flashing, even with a tethering plan.

Accepting the risks, how do I flash this ROM?
-Don't plug your phone into your computer until I tell you to-
This guide details the process for a 64-bit Windows 8 computer. For other versions of windows, additional steps might be necessary.
Step 1: Download the hacked Nokia Care Suite, Amber ROM, and Rogers Pre-Portico ROM.

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror This SkyDrive folder contains Nokia Care Suite 5, French Amber ROM (rm-821), and Rogers ROM (rm-820). Download the 3 ZIP folders, and extract them by right-clicking on the folder and selecting Extract All.

Step 2: Install Nokia Care Suite. If it asks you to install Microsoft files, use Ctrl+C and Ctrl + V to paste the links into your browser, then download and install them.

Step 3: Move the Rogers and French Amber ROM folders (rm-821 and rm-820) to C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products. If you don't have a Products folder, create one.
If your phone is NOT at&t-branded, skip to step 9. If your phone IS at&t-branded, or the flashing doesn't work, start here.

Step 4: Open Nokia Care Suite, Open Product Support Tool for Store 5, choose care suite external to sign in, Click work offline, click File, chose open product, and type in RM-820.

Step 5: Choose Programming (bottom left), and Recovery. Then click Update List, select the rogers ROM (rm-820), and click Start.

Step 6: When it tells you to retry because of lost connection, turn off your phone, Plug it in, and hold down volume down key. Click retry when you hear the short vibration. If asks you if you're sure, and that the product code doesn't match, click Continue.

Step 7: Wait until the ROM fully flashes. DO NOT LOGIN TO MICROSOFT LIVEID AND RESTORE BACKUP ON THIS ROM, then connect to Wifi and unplug the phone, and download the newest OTA update under "phone update" in the phone's settings menu.

Step 8: Wait for the OTA update to download and install. It will take a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Step 9: In Support Tool, select open product, this time RM-821. Then Programming, Recovery, and select the French Amber ROM.

Step 10: Select Start. When it tells you to retry because of lost connection, Turn off your phone,
Plug it in, and hold down volume down key. Press retry.

Step 11: Wait for the flashing to finish. When it boots up, select English (US) to change from French to English.

Step 12: For free tethering on att, go to access point in settings and select "LTE 2". Then download the Spanish (Spain) keyboard and install. After your phone reboots and updates, you should have free tethering. Changing any setting in access point WILL disable tethering until you factory reset your phone. Enjoy GDR2/Amber with an unbranded ROM on your at&t Lumia 920!

Extra Step 1: Download access point here: access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) Then, in settings, open access point and select "AT&T LTE 1 - Lumia" to be able to connect to at&t's LTE network, or any kind of internet from at&t. LTE shows up as "4G" in the status bar and 3G is "H" or "H+" To turn on double-tap to wake, update the app here: display+touch | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)and then check the option under display + touch. To get Call + SMS filtering/Blocking, update this app: extras+info | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)and then go to call + SMS filtering in settings.

Extra Step 2: Many people have had issues with speech-related features after flashing. This includes voice search, speech commands, and voice-to-text texting. In order to get these features back, you need to hold down the windows key to open voice commands, then download the required language pack for speech.

Frequently Asked Questions
1) HELP! I CAN'T GO ONLINE USING CELLULAR!
See step 11.
2) Will I be able to connect to AT&Ts 4G LTE network with this?
See step 11. Yes.
3) Will this void my warranty?
If you don't flash it back to at&t ROM before sending it in, yes.
4) Does Data Sense/FM radio work on at&t on this ROM?
Yes, it does. The official GDR2 for L920 from at&t probably won't include data sense, as L1020 GDR2 doesn't have it.
5) Can I still install at&t specific apps, like myAt&t or at&t locker?
Yes. all AT&T carrier apps still show in the store as "AT&T featured". Cartier apps on WP depend on the sim card that the phone is using to connect to the network, not the firmware. I can download at&t Locker and I've already downloaded myAT&T.
6) Will this SIM re-lock my device or unlock it if its locked?
No. This flashing doesn't SIM unlock the device, nor does it Re-lock it if its already SIM unlocked.
7) Is it possible to revert back to the at&t ROM later?
In theory, after flashing the rogers ROM, you can flash back to any ROM for the Lumia 920. I have not personally tested this, and no one has done it with success yet.

Useful tips after installing the ROM:
To install new Nokia apps designed for Amber/GDR2: I just installed Nokia Pro Cam,Nokia Video Trimmer and Nokia Video Upload on my lumia 920 with amber update, here's how : windowsphone

To increase battery life, turn off tap + send in settings (is on by default) and turn on battery saver in settings. Select only when battery is low.

Awesome people who helped me make this guide (you should thank/like some of their posts ��):
-Thanks for providing feedback on your experience and helping other people get updated (and helping me get Windows 8.1 RTM on my Surface Pro and Asus VivoTab RT a bit early ��) http://forums.windowscentral.com/members/derausgewanderte.htm

-Thanks for the awesome guide http://forums.windowscentral.com/members/veganovus.htm , http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ia-lumia-eu-rom-gdr2-amber-download-link.html

-Thanks for the feedback and tips: http://forums.windowscentral.com/members/visceralmonkey.htm

Please Like and Thank this post to motivate me to make other useful tutorials in the future :D

Last edited:

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to flash ATT Lumia 920 with amber

Good man, glad you figured it out.

yeah, the actual problem was that the Rogers rom I download had a folder name "rm-820 Rogers". So NCS didn't register it. After renaming the folder to "rm-820", all was good :)

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Any update on a rom with ATT LTE bands?

the Euro Dev ROM I'm using seems to get LTE. However, the icon is just "L". I opened access point in settings and it let me choose 3G or LTE. Speeds seem to be LTE.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

I can also confirm that Data Sense is working. If you don't mind loosing your app data, this is a better rom than AT&T will ever provide. Not only is it completely unbranded, but it includes data sense (L1020 with GDR2 on At&t doesn't even have it) and all the great Amber features.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

Got a download link to the actual pre-portico? All that leads to is a .lnk file which downloads a .download file...

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Gracis, excellent work from you the others involved in getting this working!

Question, does tethering work without problem? I would imagine it would with no ATT restrictions baked into the rom.

So you get:
Amber Update
Data Sense
And tethering
Same LTE speeds
No crapware ATT apps loaded.

I'd say that's more than worth it.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

Does MMS work? Does AT&T tethering work with the Euro ROM if the account HAS the tethering option? Does tethering work is the accounts does NOT have the tethering option?

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Gracis, excellent work from you the others involved in getting this working!

Question, does tethering work without problem? I would imagine it would with no ATT restrictions baked into the rom.

So you get:
Amber Update
Data Sense
And tethering
Same LTE speeds
No crapware ATT apps loaded.

I'd say that's more than worth it.
Unfortunately, the tethering is still tied to the network. When I tried to use tethering, it told me that I had to call AT&T customer service by dialing 611.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Well, crap. That is surprising and unfortunate.

yeah. I still love the fact that there's no at&t logo on boot up. To clarify, all SMS/MMS and tethering services work as they would on the original att ROM. Data sense works. Glance and peek work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros