I guess gorilla glass isn't all it's cracked up to be...

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I had an LG Optimus 7 which got run over by a bus face-down (phone dragged face-down on the road) and not a single scratch on it! The screen is still in perfect condition to this day! No scratches! My Lumia 800 and 920? Not so lucky. My Lumia 800 fell from my younger brother's table (1 foot) and scratched badly. My Lumia 920 on day one, slid out of my pocket onto the uneven surface ground after my friend tackled me and my friend tried to grab it and he slid it face-down on the floor causing an unimaginable amount of scratches on the glass. (Got the screen repaired).

Conclusion? Curving the screen MAY weaken the glass' resistance towards scratches.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Jeffydude hit it right on the head. Its all about the angle at which it hits. Its funny because you hear stories from both extremes. If they can get the price of artificially grown sapphire down to reasonable levels we will see a whole new era of smartphone glass. Sapphire is damm near indestructable. Its orders of magnitude stronger than any glass. Right now however it is expensive.

For those that like to invest there are a few companies out there working on this. GT Advanced Technologies is one of them. Be careful though. Sapphire is very closely related to the Solar industry which is a rollercoasrer ride to say the least.

PeSoNder

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
keys are the only thing I can think of, I know the only time I saw a tiny scratch on my 900 was when I put it in my pocket with my keys by accident.

Most likely it is the sand in your pocket. Sand contains quartz which is harder than glass or equally hard, so it can scrach your screen. Most metals are softer than glass.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I work construction and just a couple of weeks ago a guy I was working with cracked his iPhone 4 in his pocket. The first thing he said was this is the 2nd time I've cracked the screen. Pants pockets can put a lot of pressure on a screen if you squat down and stand up a lot.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Let's go through everything in case people miss some points here.

1. Gorilla glass is 'toughened' glass but it's still glass
2. Glass when scratched weakens, therefore it's quite possible to break Gorilla Glass just like any other glass.
3. Glass on our phones is curved and square, therefore hitting it on a weird angle on a corner is likely to break it.
4. Our phone backs are polycarbonate and flexes. In most cases this helps with impact however on a corner impact it's likely to cause more damage to be done rather than less.
5. As long as we use glass on a phone that is inflexible it's highly likely we'll continue to see broken screens on all mobile phones.

That is all.

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm a similar situation here. Dropped on concrete, landed on upper-right corner and the glass has broken. I sent it in service and waiting for diagnose. Have you replaced the screen yet? Did you noticed any differences between original and repaired one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers