Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    My son's phone slipped out of his hand onto a wooden table from a height of 3-4 inches.

gorilla-glass.jpg

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    It sucks when freak sh*t like this happens
    ~Sal

That sucks...One of the obvious perks of having a protective case...
    On a side-note - did you have a screenguard installed ?

I've dropped my phone from waist high into my tile bathroom floor and nothing has happened, sounds like a sucky or unlucky break.

It looks like impact was on the lower left corner of the phone. Structurally, the corners should be the weakest places on the phone. I've dropped my 920 down stairs onto concrete without a scratch to either the body or the screen, and my roommate has dropped his from shoulder height onto concrete (landing screen first) in a parking deck with no damage.

I would also assume that glass isn't nearly as strong to forces parallel to its surface as it is to forces perpendicular.

Anyway, sorry for your loss. Perhaps replace the screen?

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I'm going to assume it landed at a particular angle which caused it to shatter.

........ = / i know how it must've felt..... dropped my lowly 810 face first and bwam..... planning a funeral for it later.

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Has nothing to do with Gorilla Glass, and everything to do with dropping the phone. It sucks, but put the responsibility where it belongs.
    -Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ejb222 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejb222/
    jleebiker and Gergolos like this.

Maybe it had fallen before and just needed a slight push to fully crack?

That pick broke my heart :(

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    That stinks . Mine has survived multiple drops onto concrete and hardwood floors, but I have a TPU case on it and a screen protector.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    I think Gorilla glass is more to help prevent scratches, but all phones crack if they hit at the right angle.

There has to be some kind of design flaw with this phone. I have read countless stories about people dropping their phone from a low height and having the digitizer smash like a cheap glass cup. Now before people say, "yeah well glass breaks... duh" I will add that the problem seems to be more prominent with the 920 than with most other phones.

I wonder if the curved screen doesn't take impacts well or if the weight of the phone has something to do with it.

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    There has to be some kind of design flaw with this phone. I have read countless stories about people dropping their phone from a low height and having the digitizer smash like a cheap glass cup. Now before people say, "yeah well glass breaks... duh" I will add that the problem seems to be more prominent with the 920 than with most other phones.
    I wouldnt say that...i dropped my Samsung Focus and Galaxy S3 from a short distance to the floor (1 foot) and both cracked, much like the picture above. Im pretty sure it mostly has to do with the fact that nowadays our devices account for 90-95% glass covering the screen, compared to back in the day when it only accounted for 40-50%, bezel was enough to stand such an impact. But ya, you would thing with the bezel 920 has, it could hold up better than a cheap plastic Samsung device...but unfortunately doesnt look to be the case. Sad really.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    Gorilla glass does not prevent your phone screen from cracking when it falls.

People have a total misconception of Gorilla Glass. My phone has fell several times without damage and two times with damage. Both times it got damaged, it fell at an angle. The point of impact is everything. On other ocasions with it falling face first, nothing happened.

Up to this morning, i turned around to flush the toilet and my phone fell from chest height, bounced off the toilet bowl and face first onto the floor (THANK GOD! I THOUGHT I FLUSHED IT LOL). I picked it up, dust it off, and there was no (additional) damage.
    Gergolos and spyderzWPC like this.

My L920 has a very small scratch, I don't know how it happened :(

That sucks. I've dropped mine twice onto concrete from about six feet. The first landed face down, no damage. The second impacted the top right corner and then came to rest on the screen. It suffered some pretty hefty damage to the case on the corner and a couple of small dings in the glass, but still intact. I hate cases on phones so I opted to install Nokia's thin case to cover the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpider_MX View Post
    My L920 has a very small scratch, I don't know how it happened :(
    keys are the only thing I can think of, I know the only time I saw a tiny scratch on my 900 was when I put it in my pocket with my keys by accident.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Ouch.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    my 925 is scratched so much
    Owned Phones: Nokia Lumia 925, iPhone 5
    Favorite OS: Windows Phone 8
    WP8 Colour: Cobalt on Dark
    Instagram: Krusty Yeti
    Photos taken with my Lumia 925: Flickr
    Friendly Photo Contest anyone?: Shootout

I had an LG Optimus 7 which got run over by a bus face-down (phone dragged face-down on the road) and not a single scratch on it! The screen is still in perfect condition to this day! No scratches! My Lumia 800 and 920? Not so lucky. My Lumia 800 fell from my younger brother's table (1 foot) and scratched badly. My Lumia 920 on day one, slid out of my pocket onto the uneven surface ground after my friend tackled me and my friend tried to grab it and he slid it face-down on the floor causing an unimaginable amount of scratches on the glass. (Got the screen repaired).

Conclusion? Curving the screen MAY weaken the glass' resistance towards scratches.
    Hit the "thanks" button if you thought the post above was helpful!

[HR][/HR]
    Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370
    Firmware: 2424.12.12.3
    ROM: UK OPEN
    Network: StarHub
    Dev Unlocked: ✔

Jeffydude hit it right on the head. Its all about the angle at which it hits. Its funny because you hear stories from both extremes. If they can get the price of artificially grown sapphire down to reasonable levels we will see a whole new era of smartphone glass. Sapphire is damm near indestructable. Its orders of magnitude stronger than any glass. Right now however it is expensive.

For those that like to invest there are a few companies out there working on this. GT Advanced Technologies is one of them. Be careful though. Sapphire is very closely related to the Solar industry which is a rollercoasrer ride to say the least.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Quote Originally Posted by spyderzWPC View Post
    keys are the only thing I can think of, I know the only time I saw a tiny scratch on my 900 was when I put it in my pocket with my keys by accident.
    Most likely it is the sand in your pocket. Sand contains quartz which is harder than glass or equally hard, so it can scrach your screen. Most metals are softer than glass.

Quote Originally Posted by PeSoNder View Post
    Most likely it is the sand in your pocket. Sand contains quartz which is harder than glass or equally hard, so it can scrach your screen. Most metals are softer than glass.
    this i can agree with..
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,376 Global Posts
    I work construction and just a couple of weeks ago a guy I was working with cracked his iPhone 4 in his pocket. The first thing he said was this is the 2nd time I've cracked the screen. Pants pockets can put a lot of pressure on a screen if you squat down and stand up a lot.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast