Official Lumia 920 GDR2/Amber Update Thread

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
With the flood gates opening regarding the release of GDR2 bundled with Nokia’s Amber Update, everyone is dying to know when their Lumia 920 will receive the magical update message. Also, some of you may not know what is included and how it will make your phone better. This guide should provide everything you need!

Has my update been released?

Nokia has a great page for helping its customers discover if their carrier has released the update yet or not:
Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

To check for your phone, click on the region you belong to on the left side of the webpage. This will bring up a list phones/carriers organized by country.

What is included in GDR2?

Fixes Low Res “Me” Tile Pictures - For more details, Click Here

FM Radio - Back from the dead! It is now included on WP8 phones. You can find it in your Music & Video Hub.

Data Sense - It is now available for more phones. For more details, Click Here.

Change Default Camera Lens/App - Name says it all!

CardDAV and CalDAV Support - Now sync your calender and contacts from services that use these standards!

HTML5 Improvements - Now view HTML5 sites better in IE! Pages should load faster and with less errors!

Lynx and Skype Stability Improvements

What is included in Amber?

Block Calls & Text Messages - While the API for this feature will be on all phones, Nokia has implemented block calls and text messages based on a blacklist or from numbers that have been withheld. For more details, Click Here.

Video Trimmer - A Nokia app that allows for quick editing and sharing of video. For more details, Click Here.

Double Tap To Wake - Now you can double tap your phone to turn it on! No more finding the power button in the dark.

Glance - This feature allows you to view the clock whenever you take your phone out of your pocket or when you wave your hand over the sensor. For detailed information, Click Here.

Nokia Pro Cam - Want the fantastic app the 1020 uses to take pictures? You got it if you have the 920, 925 or 928! For details, Click Here.

Do you have some new information to share? Post it here! Does this show your phone not having the update yet, but you just verified receiving it? Post it here!

Last edited:

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see why people are separating Amber and GDR2 to be two different things, when they are advertised to be the same exact thing. "amber + gdr2" "amber and gdr2". Or am I getting something wrong?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see why people are separating Amber and GDR2 to be two different things, when they are advertised to be the same exact thing. "amber + gdr2" "amber and gdr2". Or am I getting something wrong?

GDR2 is from Microsoft. Amber is from Nokia, and only for Nokia phones.

ajeesh yacob

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

grd2 s from MS
amber from nokia . if wrong correct me..

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
GDR2 is from Microsoft. Amber is from Nokia, and only for Nokia phones.

flashed my lumia 920 black indian unlocked on 5th august via nokia software update for retail.details are given below of the leaked firmware
os version :- 8.0.10328.78
firmware version :- 3047.0000.1326.2001
hardware version :- 1.0.202132.3
chip SOC version :- 8960
Accessories agent 2.5.3.3
feedback to nokia :- 2.5.0.1
firmware update notifier 1.0.1.7
nokia first user experience 1.5.1.1
nokia spam filter 1.5.4.2
silent installer 1.3.0.6
sim unlock 1.0.0.5
sms vcard receiver 1.2.0.1
manufacture name :- RM-821_im_india_443
mobile operator :- 000-IN
configuration id :-244541
label id :-3047.0000.1326.10144
application version :- 1.12.0.1

the phone says its up to date,installed pro cam from the store ,video uploader,updated all nokia apps,smart cam was pre installed and now i just got a update for it in the store . everything works fine.there are two search enginees in ie(bing,bing) no google.glance,double tap,data sense,some third party apps like zomato,book my show,creative studio were pre installed. my question is what is the differnce btw the official software vs the leaked one i have installed and using it since 10days.its working fine with serach engine bug i guess.plz confirm ,crosss check all the info with the official update with my leaked one .hoping for a quick reply.
thanx
Himanshu Chowdhary

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
flashed my lumia 920 black indian unlocked on 5th august via nokia software update for retail.details are given below of the leaked firmware
os version :- 8.0.10328.78
firmware version :- 3047.0000.1326.2001
hardware version :- 1.0.202132.3
chip SOC version :- 8960
Accessories agent 2.5.3.3
feedback to nokia :- 2.5.0.1
firmware update notifier 1.0.1.7
nokia first user experience 1.5.1.1
nokia spam filter 1.5.4.2
silent installer 1.3.0.6
sim unlock 1.0.0.5
sms vcard receiver 1.2.0.1
manufacture name :- RM-821_im_india_443
mobile operator :- 000-IN
configuration id :-244541
label id :-3047.0000.1326.10144
application version :- 1.12.0.1

the phone says its up to date,installed pro cam from the store ,video uploader,updated all nokia apps,smart cam was pre installed and now i just got a update for it in the store . everything works fine.there are two search enginees in ie(bing,bing) no google.glance,double tap,data sense,some third party apps like zomato,book my show,creative studio were pre installed. my question is what is the differnce btw the official software vs the leaked one i have installed and using it since 10days.its working fine with serach engine bug i guess.plz confirm ,crosss check all the info with the official update with my leaked one .hoping for a quick reply.
thanx
Himanshu Chowdhary

I don't know where the leak is from. That said, most leaks for WP8 are official releases for a certain phone and carrier. There might be differences between what you would have received and what you flashed isn't for your carrier. Differences can be like different apps preinstalled and access to different bands.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know where the leak is from. That said, most leaks for WP8 are official releases for a certain phone and carrier. There might be differences between what you would have received and what you flashed isn't for your carrier. Differences can be like different apps preinstalled and access to different bands.

thanx for a speedy reply :)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
How can I make Pro Cam Shot as my default camera app?
install amber update if it is avalibale then head into store and search pro cam.if sucess then go to settings ,swipe right to applications and go to photos+camera .select the option pressing the camera button opens will show a listnof avaliable camera options.select smart cam or pro cam.next time you press the camera button the desired cam app will be launched .have a nice day :)

Pega5u5

May 22, 2013
Visit site
How can I make Pro Cam Shot as my default camera app?

goto settings - applications and select pictures and camera
on the bottom you'll find a dropdown list to select your app to start with the camera button

(some names might be a little different due to translation from dutch:
"Instellingen - toepassingen en selecteer foto's en camera")

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I presume Pro Cam must be everyone's favorite camera application. What settings do you use to get best photos, specially under normal day light condition?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I presume Pro Cam must be everyone's favorite camera application. What settings do you use to get best photos, specially under normal day light condition?

I would go to camera forums for that info since it isn't phone or update specific. If you click forums on the webpage and then scroll toward the end, you will see three forums regarding photography.

I personally have no experience with the app, nor am I any good at photography.

Manojkumar_25

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
why in IE settings i can see two "BING" for default search"...i can confirm that this is in place after AMBER update..
I checked after GDR2 update it showed BING and GOOGLE. After Amber update it got changed from BING and BING.

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can someone tell me what does "Waiting for Approval" mean for unlocked country variant phones. There is no carrier locking to who has not given approval ??

@unlocked country variant phones outside US does not depend on AT&T

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Today I got my Lumia 920 back from customer support. They gave me a new device (exactly as I wanted). But without GDR2!!! I am so tempted to flash my device, because currently it has no files on it anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism