Windows 8 Driver problem? Win8 won't recognize my phone

briankiser

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

When I plug in my Nokia 920, my Windows 8 does not seem to recognize the phone. When I look in Device Manager, I see this:

RM-820/Nokia Lumia 920 (it shows up under "Other devices" with a yellow exclamation point)

I have all my Windows updates. I have tried installing the Win 7 driver (no luck). I installed windowsphone.exe, but when I click it, it just doesn't run. It doesn't even show a window, or an error message, or anything.

I've read everything I can find online, but had no luck. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Looks like some sort of driver problem, but beyond that, I have no idea.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Right click on the phone in device manager and remove it. Unplug phone and replug it back to the pc, unlock screen and password and you will see the device installing. Also try to download and install the windows phone pc client as well if possible.

Tapani K

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have tried restarting the phone, didn't help. I then hoped the Amber update or 8.1 would help, but no.

The phone isn't visible in the device manager. When connecting to my PC, the only effect is that the charging starts. I've tried different USB ports at the back of the PC, USB 2 and USB3. Nothing works.

Due to this, I can't create any playlists of the 1000+ songs on my phone. Can't transfer the photos to the PC (except through SkyDrive, which is slow way to do it). I like the phone, but small things like these should work. Or my next phone won't be a Lumia,,,

kobraservis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
If you have some memory card in your phone, try to format it (settings/phone storage) or remove it.

Formating worked for me :smile:

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the issue is the USB Cable you are using. Most cheap USB cables will only charge devices and not send any data to the phone. Are you using the original USB cable that came with the device or another Third Party cable?

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Actually I had the same problem with my 720 and it is pretty easy to resolve. Just as the other pointed out remove the phone from device manger.
Rebooting your pc is recommended, however is not required. Use the original USB cord (one that came as the charger). Connect your phone to the Pc,and reboot your phone.

Thats it, it will in 90% of the cases solve the issue. The problem for me was near identical.

The phone would be detected, but I was unable to eject it as the "Safely Remove" option used to vanish after the connection in Windows 8.1.

If either of them doesn't work, just downgrade to either Windows 7 or windows 8. I know it sucks. But however I eject the phone using Musicbee.

oel200e

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Am having the same problem with my Huawei windows phone...I tried everything suggested, no luck. When I connect it chargers then it doesn't show anything in my computer. when I look in device manager, it is detected as windows phone 8 but fails to install a driver, I connected online and tried to update but then I get a message "windows was unable to install your windows phone 8"...I tried to uninstall, and restart but when I connect again it begins to install and then the same problem, I see nothing in my window explorer:unhappysweat:. Funny thing it detects in my friend's windows 7 pc and shows everything. Am a using windows 8 (win 8.1 also didn't help), Hp envy dv6 i7 ...

Simba Durio

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. Following the cable suggestion worked like a charm. I did not know some usb cables don't transfer data. Thanks again!!!

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Okay I got your solution.

With your phone on and plugged onto your powered-on PC, press and hold the volume down along with the power button for about 15-20 seconds (until your phone vibrates) this will perform a soft reset and your drivers for your PC will automatically install and it works!

Enjoy!

mark norton1

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been working around the same problem and found 2 things that sorted the problem, 1 the usb connection lead must be good quality and pref the one that came with the phone and secondly I had installed the phone software on an old work computer and could not get the software to install on anything else until I found the old work pc out and deleted the software from that as you can only have sopport from 1pc at a time.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo