- 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM #1
I am an Android phone user who is quite happy with my current phone. But ever since I saw the rise & rise of Windows phones (the 920 & now 925) I am getting curious. That is why I would like to ask these questions that would decide my choice for my upcoming upgrade late this year.
1. Does the Lumia's Bluetooth allows my phone to connect to any Bluetooth devices such as speakers, etc.? Or send a photo via bluetooth to ANY phone?
2. Does Lumia have a quick toggle to settings to instantly turn on or off settings such as wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. (much like the notification drop down bar of Android)?
3. Does the Lumia 920 have Dolby Mobile or Dolby capability in its music player? Is there a customisable equaliser to the new Lumias? Surround sound? Bass? Preset EQ settings?
Can one create a Playlist on-the-fly or via the device itself? And does the Lumia's music player have the ability to "find" or search for the Album art of a song/s?
4. Can I drag n drop files (.mp3, .flac, .mp4) from my Mac to the Lumia with ease? No need of any 1st-party app?
5. Can I set my default email to Gmail?
What alternatives can you guys recommend for Google Maps, Google Chrome, Google Translate, and Google Drive and Google Keep (that new note-taking app)?
6. Is there a pinch to zoom feature in zooming objects for taking photos? Is there an option to edit then share them via Email, Bluetooth, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, etc.? A way to set photos as a phones's wallpaper?
7. Any Skype typing feature? ( The one that lets you slide your fingers over the screen for faster typing)
8. Any good alternatives music player, video player for the Lumia?
9. Does the Lumia (or any WP8 phones) have the capability to print wirelessly to a wireless printer?
10. Slightly off-topic....Can one send complaints suggestions to an app developer via the Marketplace? (much like Google's Play store)
11. How fast is the shutter speed of the Lumia cameras? Is there a panorama mode? Can i easily or quickly see a photo that i have taken then easily & quickly edit them then send them via bluetooth or post them via Twitter, etc.,?
12. Battery life any good? Does it lasts say at least 24 hours unlike my Galaxy S3 LTE that lasts barely a day.
13. I like playing games on my mobile. If im bored or waiting for something. But games are still a disappointment as i am writing this 8 out 10 of my Android games are NOT on the Marketplace. is MS doing anything about this?
Please advice. Thanks.
09-04-2013, 01:56 PM #2
- 190 Posts
To answer your questions:
1. Bluetooth connection with other devices works.
2. WP8 has a lot of 3rd party apps that does this. I, myself, am using Quick Settings app until MS provides this functionality through the OS.
3. Lumia 920 has equaliser and Dolby (for headphones only). You can create playlist but it is not as intuitive as on Android. I'm not sure if you can edit the playlists.
4. WP8 has a desktop companion app whose task is to sync or transfer files from pc to phone and vv.
5. You can use your Gmail on WP8, but trust me, it is better if you have a Microsoft account as well. WP8 has Bing Translate, Bing Maps, Here Maps, Here Drive, Here Transit, SkyDrive, 3rd party Google Maps and lots of Cloud storage apps. Here Maps can be downloaded for offline use especially useful for GPS. OneNote, EverNote, etc also available.
6. Pinch to zoom not available on Lumia 920 because of the tap-to-capture functionality of the camera. Lumia 1020 does have this feature though. You can share photos on social networking sites like FB, Twitter, Instagram through 3rd party apps. Upload to Dropbox, SkyDrive etc.
7. No other keyboard functionality available other than the stock keyboard.
8. I have not tried 3rd party music apps. I only used Nokia Music and Xbox music. GDR2/Amber update unlocked the FM functionality of Lumia 820/920.
9. Don't know. Have not tried it.
10. I don't think so but I may be wrong.
11. Acceptable considering its superb camera. You can easily view the photo immediately if you want. WP8 does have panorama and Photosynth lenses and many others. Easi share your photos.
12. Some people have good battery life, others, poor. Mobile connection sucks battery life out of your phone.
13. What kind of games do you play? Xbox games?
Btw, photo quality has been bad since the OS update (GDR2/Amber) few days ago.
09-04-2013, 01:59 PM #3
- 67 Posts
1. yes to speakers, haven't tried photo myself so can't answer.
2. no. for security, apps can lead you to specific settings page and you can do it there.
3. yes. I don't have anything dolby so don't know how it works though. no for built-in music+video app, dunno about 3rd party apps. There's an app, MPAtool for adding album art.
4. doesn't use mac so can't tell.
5. WP8 creates account/tile for each inbox so there's not really a "default email". if you have multiple email accts and sending something from app then you'll choose which account to use.
Map - HERE maps. Chrome - no way around it, IE. Translate - Bing Translate. Pretty good but can give you weird translation sometime. Google Drive - SkyDrive. Google Keep - OneNote.
6. Editing-then-sharing is app-specific but WP/Nokia has a bunch of lenses/apps for these. yes to all others.
7. you mean swype? no.
8. not sure(unlikely), built-in ones are good enough for me.
9. if app supports it yes. Android(the OS, not 3rd party app) does it? by discovering there's a wireless printer on the network?
10. reviews? just started doing dev so not sure about it.
11. default shutter speed is automatic and you get lenses to change that(ProShot/Nokia ProCam). Lenses can do panorama. photo hub is for that. yes for immediate viewing after taking.
12. depends on usage, but generally full day is no problem.
13. Dunno about MS, but if you are VERY into apps, then WP is not quite there IMO.
I tried my best to answer and didn't pay much attention on formatting...sorry about that
- 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM #4
Some good questions and good answers. Research is key to making an informed purchase.
I gave WP7 a try, now thinking about giving 8 a shot as well. (Currently using a note 2).
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mobile Nations mobile app
- 09-04-2013, 05:33 PM #5
Very interesting and insightful replies.
So far based on my own research 7 out of 10 of amy Android apps are found on the Marketplace or have good alternatives. (Especially with the Google apps) I feel i'm somehow stuck to them but as you guys said change is good but....dunno.
Games i like 8 out 10 are NOT found on Marketplace. The only ones i can find ( and ones i have on my Galaxy S3 and ones i "want") are Temple Run, Jetpack Joyride & Bejeweled. And if you guys noticed these are not-so even graphic intensive games. I can play them on my tablet no problem. Some known games like Sprinkle, Subway Surfers, Dead Trigger, Virtua Tennis or platformer/shooter games like Contra or Metal Slug are not even available yet which is a slight let down.:-(
- 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM #8
Since this thread is already going, I'll throw this question in here. Is there a setting in WP8 that allows for either sound profiles or bedside mode? Similar to what the legacy BlackBerry devices had, or my current Note 2, which has a "Blocking Mode" which allows you to tweak what notifications come through. I need to have my phone on at night (no landline), but don't want to hear emails and such coming in. Apps, settings, etc?
09-05-2013, 03:45 PM #10
- 309 Posts
I came from android and blackberry and I don't regret not even a little bit.. perfect phone, you won't regret..
- As nighthawk said, yes, you can use an app for wireless print..
- Yes, lumia 920 does have pinch to zoom feature, you just have to use nokia's pro cam app, which is much better than the default one (and you can set it to default app)
-Yes, you can make a playlist, but is not as good in android..
-Yes, a lot of 3rd apps music apps, such as audicloud and nokia music (which, for me, it's the perfect app for knowing good musics)
- Shutter speed on lumia 920 is very fast and intuitive, but under low light it takes a little more to get light for the photos come out if it was like in a sunny day, and using nokia's pro cam app, you can choose whatever shutter speed you want to =)
- Yes, you can send files to any device bia bluetooth
- Yes, you can set gmail as your default email
- Yes, you can connect your phone to your car's speaker
- Battery life depends on your use, I spend all day long on 3g, using whatsapp, 6tag (better client for instagram), facebook etc.. it lasts around 13hours
- A lot of 3rd apps allows you to make shortcut for wifi, data connection and many other things, but the system itself, no.
- Dolby only for headphones, but the sound is nice and clear, amazing quality there
- 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM #13
Can one do a screenshot of the phone's current screen via some settings or a 3rd-party app?
Is there an Airplane mode to the current Lumia 920?
Off topic again....can one save a photo on Twitter?
And is this Nokia Pro Cam app pre-installed on the device or downloadable via the Marketplace? Is it a "separate" app that you access to take photos or mainly an editing software?
09-05-2013, 06:11 PM #16
- 309 Posts
it's MUCH better than default camera app, more functions, much more control, easier to use, sound recording is better than default app, perfect app!
here's a video if you want to see it =)
09-05-2013, 09:47 PM #18
- 330 Posts
Get the 822, if you want pro cam app you can still get it by using the proxy glitch/hack, and WP8 doesn't have easy fast wireless printing, I have to email my documents or things I want printed to my printer, but on my iPod touch I can just press print and have it done in 5-10seconds.
- 09-05-2013, 10:31 PM #20
09-06-2013, 03:08 PM #23
- 330 Posts
AirPrint Basics Do research before you try and tell me I'm incorrect. Here is the quote if you still don't want to research.
To print from your iOS device using AirPrint, you need one of the following devices using the latest version of iOS:
•iPad (all models)
•iPhone (3GS or later)
•iPod touch (3rd generation or later)
- 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM #25
How about multitasking skills? Can i multitask in-between apps or games or a website without pressing the Windows symbol?
Re: Twitter sometimes you see a photo on Twitter. With Android you have the option of saving the app on your device itself. IS that possible in the WP8 app?
Is a Bing voice search in the works? Or is the Google search app able to do that Siri-like functionality?
Do i need an app to view/read a .pdf file?
Is copy & paste functionality possible in almost anywhere in the device?
- By nwhitemcse in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 11Last Post: 08-04-2014, 04:42 PM
- By NATE072107 in forum Nokia Lumia 822Replies: 4Last Post: 12-18-2013, 02:49 PM
- By Gino Guillermo in forum Nokia Lumia 925Replies: 14Last Post: 09-13-2013, 05:58 PM
- By ccarrascoofwgkta in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 5Last Post: 09-09-2013, 01:17 AM
- By GideonTerblanche in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 7Last Post: 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM