Nokia Care Suite - Can anyone get it to run without crashing?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to flash my 920 to the AT&T dev GDR2. I've managed to download everything needed but I've tried Nokia Care Suite on 3 PCs so far and each of them seem to give me different issues.

On my Win8 system it will crash once or twice on launch but I finally get it up after about 3 tries. Once I get it up and running it just doesn't seem to find the firmware, even checked settings and reset the path to the firmware.

One one Windows 7 PC it crashes all the time.

On a third Windows 7 PC I have it will crash the first few launches and then finally run. However, it never sees the phone when plugged in.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried to use the NCS but found it a bit clumsy. If all you want to do is flash your phone, I'd recommend the following software:

Nokia Software Updater for Retail: Nokia Lumia 920 Software

Simply connect your phone to usb, run the program and update. It literally couldn't be simpler and as far as I can tell it's basically the software the Nokia Care stores use. Fair warning: flashing through this program will completely wipe your device of your own user data.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Software Updater for Retail: Nokia Lumia 920 Software.

Agree with you -- NSU is a user friendly program that resets (and updates if your phone is not on the latest f/w)
-- but OP is trying to flash the AT&T dev rom - NSU checks the phone's product code and then searches for the latest F/w for that product code in NCS, so the phone would get reset to stock AT&T rom by using NSU. Flashing rom with different product code is only possible through NCS I think.

On my Win8 system it will crash once or twice on launch but I finally get it up after about 3 tries. Once I get it up and running it just doesn't seem to find the firmware, even checked settings and reset the path to the firmware.

Which version of the NCS are you using? Do you have Visual C++ 2005 redist installed on your system?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed what you are saying. NSU sees the download folder but on the Home tab it show the current retail firmware, not what is in the download folder.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, NCS now works and sees the phone after installing NSU. However, it doesn't see the downloaded firmwares. It just shows "New Software version: Not available"

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Agree with you -- NSU is a user friendly program that resets (and updates if your phone is not on the latest f/w)
-- but OP is trying to flash the AT&T dev rom - NSU checks the phone's product code and then searches for the latest F/w for that product code in NCS, so the phone would get reset to stock AT&T rom by using NSU. Flashing rom with different product code is only possible through NCS I think.

Which version of the NCS are you using? Do you have Visual C++ 2005 redist installed on your system?

Version is 5.0.0 (2013.1.3)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte