My Developer Edition Lumia 920 running GDR3 - Lumia Bittersweet Shimmer

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to see how adding custom notifications sounds works, which might relate to the question above about showing the folder structure via Explorer on the PC. I'm curious if there's a Notifications folder now.

And PS-- thank you for posting these details for us and coming to WPCentral for this instead of some crappy site like Verge or Neowin.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Tell me how.

Haha, even I don't know how, but I don't think if that's even possible with this platform.. Sorry for the dumb post, I was just optimistic :p.

Otherwise, do you experience any speed-up of the system? How is the battery management, if you can report about that?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Many of the comments in the article on the main page are about people upset that there is an 'X' to close the app rather than swiping down. Seriously, people are upset that they have to tap an 'X'...

Sometimes it's good to take a break from reading comments.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Well it is a lame update, I really hope he just got the early stage of GDR3 because there is literally nothing to look forward too in this update besides a little 'X'.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Well it is a lame update, I really hope he just got the early stage of GDR3 because there is literally nothing to look forward too in this update besides a little 'X'.
That's all relative and honestly, I'm not sure why people have such high hopes for these updates. We explained that the main focus of the GDR update series is for new hardware support for OEM partners with a few new features for current users.

It's only in people's heads where they build these up to be so huge. It's like GDR2, everyone is complaining that they don't have it and yet there's really not too much to it either, yet the drama that surrounds is off the charts (especially the AT&T crowd).

The point is, a lot of the changes are subtle but they do impact user experience. I personally don't pay attention to a lot of comments though because the hardcore users, while relevant, are in the minority. Everyone's personal gripe against the OS magically becomes the "must have missing feature that is preventing the OS from taking the lead!". It's just hyperbole and overreaction. (I especially chuckle when the "Where's lossless playback!?" folks, all two of 'em, sound off each time a new update comes out).

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 is about enabling new hardware alright. But Nokia's firmware update is usually filled with goodies.

@XS2K : Does the glance screen have any notifications? Also, is there any improvement on the Speech recognition side (offline recognition) ?

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
GDR3 is about enabling new hardware alright. But Nokia's firmware update is usually filled with goodies.

@XS2K : Does the glance screen have any notifications?

This is a good point actually. Everybody is focussing on GDR3 but nobody has thought to ponder what could come with Bittersweet Shimmer.

Robbie_Jardine

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I think it's likely that since Microsoft now owns Nokia (well in part) that most of the features found in the Lumia lines will become a standard part of the os as a whole and eliminate brand priority given to Nokia since the Microsoft-Nokia partnership started.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I think it's likely that since Microsoft now owns Nokia (well in part) that most of the features found in the Lumia lines will become a standard part of the os as a whole and eliminate brand priority given to Nokia since the Microsoft-Nokia partnership started.
Or it could go the other way round, no exclusive features to any other OEM but Nokia

Robbie_Jardine

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Or it could go the other way round, no exclusive features to any other OEM but Nokia

It's possible but there is no financial benefits in Microsoft doing this since they need as many partners as possible and at the moment there aren't many to choose from, but it does make sense offering a universal experience across devices and allowing the hardware to speak volumes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon