Is the 920 obsolete.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Does this one-time flagship have any shelf life left as a "top-tier" WP device? Or is it now, officially, a full-fledged "budget" alternative?

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
It isn't any worse than the Lumia 925 or 928 - they're all essentially variants of the same phone. The 1020 probably multitasks slightly better due to having more RAM, but otherwise no - it isn't a low-end device by any means.

sutimcon91

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Does this one-time flagship have any shelf life left as a "top-tier" WP device? Or is it now, officially, a full-fledged "budget" alternative?

I prefer it to a bang for buck rather than a low-end phone. Since it's specs is matched up with other Lumias top-tier phone, I think it will survive at least 1.5 - 2 years before turning into a "budget" one.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

budget phone? Really?

Of course its not obsolete, its a striking design, has wireless charging built in and has ois.

That and a 720p screen, dual core processor and 1gig of ram.

I know apple think a budget phone costs ?450, but come on!

tomcrook

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I didnt even look at the specs or if it was a 'top tier' phone before I bought it.
I went into the shop and played on some phones and chose the one that felt right. I still feel I made the best decision I could.

I don't get people who dwell on these things.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
obsolete?? of course not!

even though 920 already has 1year of life (pratically), even the newest phones (s4 and sony's Z1) can't match 920's camera! OIS, carl zeis lens, much more faster/fluid system than android, run apps better and still is the best phone with a camera on it! (not camera phone, like 1020)..

If the 920 is obselete, so every others flagship are too! 920 is the most incredible phone I've ever used, and I use to LOVE iphone, but after 920.. android or iOS never more!

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
920 is the starting point of it all for WP8, so no, I wouldn't consider the 920 being antiquated.

Us Lumia WP7/7.8 users are the ones who should be worrying about our phones being labelled "obsolete" even though they are still pretty good.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No, it's the highest end phone except for the camera. 1020 is the special camera variant, and the others are worse in different areas. Only 920 has full RGB stripe resolution. 925 and 1020 don't have built in wireless charging.

No Name3

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had a 920 and a 925 and I actually prefer the 920. The 925 looks more sleek and new but the 920 felt better. The seem equally as fast to me. Having said that, I would never consider either of the two to be high end phones. I would consider them mid tier phones. Maybe the high end of mid tier. But next to a Samsung Galaxy 4, the Lumias just look like a step down to me. And I have a STRONG preference for wp over Android but just my opinion.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I would always consider Lumia 920 over 925. For me its weight is not an issue. I like the design of 920 over 925. It is better build quality. The worst thing that I find in 925 is, micro USB on top instead of bottom

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion a a phone that is obsolete is a phone that the manufacturers no longer release updates for, such as the iPhone 3GS, but come on, that came out about 5 years ago.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
After GDR2 and Amber my 920 feels like a new phone. Honeslty I was thinking about 1020 but after looking at Pictures and comparing with 920 Picture quality, and other things like shot-to-shot time, I found that I will not get 1020. In my oppinion 920 will live long Life and I will not change it yet. Maybe in a year from now, let's see what next phones comes. 5s touch ID is really nothing Worth mentioning it.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Depends what you mean by obsolete?

It is still a current phone on Nokia's website and I am not aware that it will be removed, or that they are considering phasing it out because is reaching its end of life from a product and marketing point of view. Neither would I consider it to be obsolete personally, for daily use, or that it is sliding into a mid-range position.

What might be a little confusing is that Nokia have released the 925, but it is very nearly the same in regard to the internals with the exception of a 6th lens in the camera. Nokia have also set themselves on a blistering track of releasing new phones every few months, but these appear to be to fill markets where they perceive they are short of a model - they have a strategy of creating a model for a particular market. The opposite of Apple, who have a "take it, or leave it" approach and who have only just chosen to offer 2 current phones, instead of this year's and last year's.

It might be thought of as long in the tooth, but that doesn't equate to obsolete. What did you mean when you said obsolete?

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
As far as being a budget phone. You can get Like new L920s on EBay for $200-$250 all day long. Sure they are used, but Compare that to $400+ for a L925 or I've even seen 1020s go for over $700 on ebay. If you are diligent you can grab a L920 in almost mint condition for the same price as a new 620

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb