Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Ed Boland
  • 1 Post By Coreldan
  • 1 Post By Jazmac
  • 2 Post By blacksea00
  1. Fresh0razoR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
       #1  
    Hello everyone,

    just an hour ago I was walking on a wall and I lost my phone (I was trying to use with only one hand -> failed!). It fell down (height: about 2 meters/6-7 feet). Since then I have a clicking in the sound. I will try a hard reset later. Maybe it helps. But my question is: Is this normal?? Doesn't survive my phone falling down a height of only 2 meters?
    Any other experiences like that?

    Regards
    Fresh
  2. Ed Boland's Avatar

    Posts
    1,491 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,497 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #2  
    You were "walking on a wall and lost your phone"? I don't get it... and what does this have to do with stability?
  3. metalchick719's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,280 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    #3  
    Rock climbing, maybe?
    http://mowned.com/sig/metalchick719.extended.jpg
  4. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    #4  
    Also, 6 to 7 feet is a HUGE fall for a cell phone or any electronic for that matter.
  5. Fresh0razoR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Also, 6 to 7 feet is a HUGE fall for a cell phone or any electronic for that matter.
    really? its a phone, not a laptop. omg. my old iPhone was going through MUCH more without probs...
  6. edv2009's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #6  
    Well, my 920 fell from about 4' out of my pocket, but I was doing about 160km/h (100mph for my Yankee friends) on my sportbike. It cracked the glass, but the display and everything else worked still. I'm hoping its survived being driven over by a combine though... New touch screen will be here any day. They're tough phones. I wonder if ur speaker came loose from the fall... Watch the YouTube vid if u feel comfortable disassembling it.
  7. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh0razoR View Post
    really? its a phone, not a laptop. omg. my old iPhone was going through MUCH more without probs...
    The 920 is a more durable phone than the iphone. That said, no phone was built to handle drops from 6 to 7 feet, esp. multiple drops.
  8. hcrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    279 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh0razoR View Post
    Hello everyone,

    just an hour ago I was walking on a wall and I lost my phone (I was trying to use with only one hand -> failed!). It fell down (height: about 2 meters/6-7 feet). Since then I have a clicking in the sound. I will try a hard reset later. Maybe it helps. But my question is: Is this normal?? Doesn't survive my phone falling down a height of only 2 meters?
    Any other experiences like that?

    Regards
    Fresh
    Yes, it is normal. Anyone dropping an electronic device 6ft shouldn't be surprised if some damage occurs. Sometimes you get lucky, depends on what it landed on and how it landed (ie. angle of impact). Torture tests and comparisons have been done and they show the 920 as being significantly more durable than iphone, so maybe it was just an unlucky day for you.
  9. hcrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    279 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Boland View Post
    You were "walking on a wall and lost your phone"? I don't get it... and what does this have to do with stability?
    I'd say walking on a wall has lot to do with stability...just not in relation to the phone :)
  10. #10  
    The 920 is a tank. I always say it can hammer nails, but I wouldn't want to test that out. I have a thin black Nokia case on it, mainly for grip.
  11. Fresh0razoR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
       #11  
    What I think at the moment is that the spend a lot time to make a stable display (e.g. Corning glasses) and a hard cover. But the inside is just not build very good into the form so that a fall can destroy the mainboard or something like that. This way I have a huge stable display but the rest inside is like inside my stomach :/
  12. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts
    #12  
    In the end the height of the drop is mostly irrelevant when dropping phones. You can drop an iPhone just 10cm and have it shatter the screen or it can survive a fall from a three story building, same goes for Lumia, even if my experience tells me that Lumia typically has a bit better chances to not break when falling than most others phones.

    What matters is how the phone lands. Apparently you didn't shatter a screen though, but just some audio related issues. But as said, this is as anecdotal as it gets. It's like me saying the 920 is indestructible cos I've dropped it several times and theres not even a scratch on mine, let alone any flaws in the inside hardware. You got bad luck, maybe next time don't walk on walls and drop your phone? :P
  13. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    In the end the height of the drop is mostly irrelevant when dropping phones. You can drop an iPhone just 10cm and have it shatter the screen or it can survive a fall from a three story building, same goes for Lumia, even if my experience tells me that Lumia typically has a bit better chances to not break when falling than most others phones.

    What matters is how the phone lands. Apparently you didn't shatter a screen though, but just some audio related issues. But as said, this is as anecdotal as it gets. It's like me saying the 920 is indestructible cos I've dropped it several times and theres not even a scratch on mine, let alone any flaws in the inside hardware. You got bad luck, maybe next time don't walk on walls and drop your phone? :P
    I get what your first paragraph is saying, but maybe it should be more like "A phone can suffer major damage from almost any height if it lands just right. It can also suffer little damage at many heights if it lands just right." I wouldn't call height irrelevant though.
  14. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    I get what your first paragraph is saying, but maybe it should be more like "A phone can suffer major damage from almost any height if it lands just right. It can also suffer little damage at many heights if it lands just right." I wouldn't call height irrelevant though.
    Pretty much this, yes.
    mase123987 likes this.
  15. Fresh0razoR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
       #15  
    I hope I will get warranty for this. Probably something like this is not under warranty. But my guess is still, that the focus of stability is just on the display. Maybe because of marketing or something like that. So they can say this phone falls down and there is no scratch whereas the other stuff inside is screwed...
  16. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh0razoR View Post
    I hope I will get warranty for this. Probably something like this is not under warranty. But my guess is still, that the focus of stability is just on the display. Maybe because of marketing or something like that. So they can say this phone falls down and there is no scratch whereas the other stuff inside is screwed...
    Again, no phone is designed to be dropped 7 feet. That said, based on pictures, Nokia does a really good job at laying out the internals of a phone. There is no secret scheme to make the insides break while the outside stays pretty.

    I hope your warranty does cover it. That said, you are going to be breaking many phones dropping from that height.
  17. Games Goblin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    #17  
    That is sad to hear - you should be lucky that your screen did not shatter - if your phone is under warranty, I think Nokia will fix it for you - just don't mention to them it happened due to a fall

    Whenever 920 build toughness/reliability is called into question:

    Drop Test



    At around 3:19 into the drop test, the reviewer drops it from head height - 920 was unfazed - not to mention it survived their whole round of testing of multiple drops from various heights etc -- after this in another video they subject the drop tested 920 to a knife and hammer test (cutting it with knives, pounding it with hammer and using the phone itself as a hammer) - and amazingly it survives this torture test with flying colors - with the display and touchscreen still intact! That video never ceases to amaze me

    but I have read cases where screen shatters from drops of less height - so it's all about lady luck being on your side - but overall I think it's safe to say that the 920 is a phone with excellent durability

    Iphone 5 drop test in comparison



    1:14 -- Screen cracked when dropped from chest height.


    EDIT: I would recommend getting a good sturdy case+screen protector for your phone
  18. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh0razoR View Post
    I hope I will get warranty for this. Probably something like this is not under warranty. But my guess is still, that the focus of stability is just on the display. Maybe because of marketing or something like that. So they can say this phone falls down and there is no scratch whereas the other stuff inside is screwed...
    Maybe you should get one of those phones construction workers use. Those are pretty durable. Oh wait "stable".
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
  19. boovish's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    296 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,462 Global Posts
    #19  
    I'm 6 foot 5, an I kept dropping my launch day iPhone 4 from my ear onto the pavement. I had it until I bought a 64GB Gold iPhone 5S. Never had a problem.
    LG VX8500>KIN ONEm>Palm Pixi Plus>KIN ONE>Palm Pixi Plus>Lumia 822
    >Droid X>Droid 1>Lumia 822>Droid 3>Lumia 822/iPhone 4/Veer 4G
    All on VZW except iPhone and Veer
  20. Giddora's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    177 Posts
    #20  
    Yeah... Same with my Lumia 800 and my Lumia 920 too... But two days after I sold my Lumia 800 to a girl that's around 162 cm 5 foot 3, she dropped it from her lap and cracked a corner in the screen.


    Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Yellow (YAY!!)
    Future Phone:
    Previous Phones: Lumia 800, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, HTC Hero, Iphone 3GS
    Carrier: 3 Sweden
  21. Joseph Davis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #21  
    You must of had a good one, I remember back when a lot of people had iphones in our office, about half of them was walking around with cracked screens. Not sure anyone is over 6ft in our office.
  22. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,114 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Boland View Post
    You were "walking on a wall and lost your phone"? I don't get it... and what does this have to do with stability?
    I'm still waiting to get an answer to the deceleration trauma question. I guess I don't understand how people treat phones. Who would risk having their phones in such precarious positions ON PURPOSE? Among the features I like in the 1020 is that it has a wrist lanyard. I just can't see hanging my phone over a precipice, say during my recent trip to the Grand Canyon to snap pictures without one. But some people do really questionable things with these smart phones and when it breaks always blame the phone.
    metalchick719 likes this.
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Davis View Post
    You must of had a good one, I remember back when a lot of people had iphones in our office, about half of them was walking around with cracked screens. Not sure anyone is over 6ft in our office.
    You do not know how many fellow students I have seen with busted iPhone and iPod displays
    A some are minor, others, you see the guts...
  24. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18,049 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,059 Global Posts
    #24  
    I've dropped my 920 and my wife has dropped her 820. Neither has suffered. They didn't drop 6-7 feet but around 3-4 feet. Saying that I believe it they hit the wrong way they'd have either cracked screens or other damage. It really comes down to how it lands. Once flex displays come along we'll see less cracking of the screen but internals are still sensitive. Unless the device is designed with full shock absorption it's likely it will still get damage of some sort. Nothing is full proof. There's always an element of risk in design.
    Ignorance, there is a cure.

    I also own a Lumia 920.

    I'm on Instagram - Travel and food photos is my thing.
  25. blacksea00's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #25  
    A dealer sold me a car and i made accident... this is stupid... i wouldn't buy that car anymore!
    xandros9 and Hoku001 like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Lack of "corporate" apps is killing WP
    By Hydrated in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM
  2. Task app that auto-syncs in the background?
    By svenhassel in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 10:58 PM
  3. Whats best Amber rom for ATT 920?
    By Rissen1k in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
  5. Windows Phone Blue for Lumia 920?
    By Fresh0razoR in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions