Bricked during GDR 2

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry. Was there something helpful in your statement to those of us having issues with the phone, or are you just here to be a ****** and troll? We already have that guy here.

Ah yes, ****** and troll. The common outcry of those who can only impotently rage-gasm on a forum somewhere. LOL.

All I was saying is that ALL phones brick during updates. ALL phones take variable amounts of time during updates. Portico on my 920 took 4 hours and I thought it was going to melt. Amber took about 15 minutes including download. iOS 7 on my 4S took about 30 minutes (not including download) but iOS 6 took closer to 2 hours. iOS 4 on my 3GS bricked it.

Coming here and threatening to leave the platform because you're phone isn't updating the way you want it to makes you look silly.

scooooters

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
And now an update from the 920 Spinning Gear that cost Scott business, dubbed the toy phone in my household. The wonderful people of AT and T have informed me that A. They've seen 15 of these since the update yesterday do this. 15...in one day. B. That apparently it's resetting and it should take 2 DAYS to finish. C. The 920 is the only phone that they have seen that has this kind of long delay. D. The 920 has given their staff the most trouble since the Spring update came out than iOS6 or currently iOS7. So there you have it. Good business model, Microsoft. NO ONE CAN BE WITHOUT A WORK CELLPHONE FOR 2 DAYS.

scooooters

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh and to prove that the 920 is definitely flawed, do a search of bricked and 1020...there are ZERO threads for that. Now do it with the 920...FLOWING. There is something fundamentally wrong with a phone that takes 2 days to reset.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Oh and to prove that the 920 is definitely flawed, do a search of bricked and 1020...there are ZERO threads for that. Now do it with the 920...FLOWING. There is something fundamentally wrong with a phone that takes 2 days to reset.

Of course you won't find anything on the 1020. GDR2 / AMBER is already installed on it!

The 1020 hasn't received any kinds of update yet.

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Soooo... Here is my story.... I need serious anger management help. I wish I could punch ATT, Microsoft and Nokia alltogether.

This is my 6th Nokia Lumia 920 - all replacements under warranty after the original started acting funky.

Tried to install the long awaited GDR2 last night. Downloaded fine, then got stuck on "restarting" message, then it bricked on it's own (brought it back to life with hard reset), then got stuck on "installing" message with no progress whatsoever, then told me that the process "could not be completed". So, I got sick of it and went to bed.

In the morning the device wanted me to download the update again, I did, it went smoothly, got my spinning gears for 10 mins or so, then migrated the data and voila - all done. I was quite happy.
The phone restarted. And that was it, back to Lumia/ATT reality.
After the restart nothing works. Nothing except Voice (Phone calls). If I tap on ANY app (settings, system apps etc), even camera, it gives an error message saying that there is a problem with my app, I need to either get it from a store or uninstall and then get it from the store. Needless to say that I have no data, so I can't do anything about it.

I did a factory reset via setting menu, after hours of spinning gears, it reset itself in it's own creepy way - there is no desktop, no usual step-by-step set up menu. Just emergency call and slide down shut off screen. Numerous all kinds of resets didn't change anything.

Spoke to ATT twice, first time rude tech/warranty wanted to send me the 7th NL 920 and was denying to no end that I'm entitled to a New Different Make device without contract extension free of charge. Second ATT rep was slightly better and less aggravating. After 2h on the phone, they are supposedly sending me a New 1020 as a replacement. Unfortunately White Color. I wanted black.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

so you did a search of bricked and 1020 but your search didnt help you realize that the 1020 already comes with gdr2+amber update?

Khyzersoze

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My situation went from bad to worse. I finally got GDR2+Amber installed. Weird thing was that I didn't see radio, but I saw glance. On top of that issue, whenever my screen went into lock screen, the touchscreen got disabled and the only way to use the phone again was to do a soft reset. Due to that issue, I decided to reset the phone to factory settings from the settings menu. Well... gears went spinning, phone was plugged into the wall. Funny thing was.... my charge wasn't going up. My phone is now a brick. I can't even power it up. Won't charge from the usb cable either after leaving it plugged in overnight. Went to AT&T service center, and requested a replacement which I'll need to wait 2 days for.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My situation went from bad to worse. I finally got GDR2+Amber installed. Weird thing was that I didn't see radio, but I saw glance. On top of that issue, whenever my screen went into lock screen, the touchscreen got disabled and the only way to use the phone again was to do a soft reset. Due to that issue, I decided to reset the phone to factory settings from the settings menu. Well... gears went spinning, phone was plugged into the wall. Funny thing was.... my charge wasn't going up. My phone is now a brick. I can't even power it up. Won't charge from the usb cable either after leaving it plugged in overnight. Went to AT&T service center, and requested a replacement which I'll need to wait 2 days for.

That's what happened to my 920 and I had to get it replaced. However on the replacement 920, GDR2 was installed but Amber wasn't. It's so weird.

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
It's too bad this phone has these reset\update issues. Great phone except this major flaw. As angry as people are with ATT, this one is on nokia and microsoft.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It's too bad this phone has these reset\update issues. Great phone except this major flaw. As angry as people are with ATT, this one is on nokia and microsoft.

Actually, I think the problem is with AT&T. They had 2 months to change some stuffs (taking off data sense, etc...) in the ROM and it made it unstable.

The GDR2/AMBER update went almost flawlessly on all the other carriers in the world!

Khyzersoze

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I think the problem is with AT&T. They had 2 months to change some stuffs (taking off data sense, etc...) in the ROM and it made it unstable.

The GDR2/AMBER update went almost flawlessly on all the other carriers in the world!

I generally agree with this statement. I think the update would've been more stable if it weren't tampered with.

scooooters

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The 920s have threads on here talking about reset bricks back in November through the summer. The update isn't the only thing that's bricked the toy phone 920. The 1020 apparently has a much more stable internal structure, according to the head technician at AT and T.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

this is indeed true. my lumia 920 had the eu gdr2+amber update on it and when i did the update it only took 15min to complete and everything was working flawlessly after the update. the battery life was actually better than what i had been having. at&t had to of messed something up with this update on their end. which would explain why it took them so long to get this update out. their field testing must have had alot of issues.

scooooters

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Here's the final note on this. AT and T is replacing the phone because it is in fact, bricked. I'm sure this really disappoints the IT God that was Shawn who was just certain that my impatience of 25 hours of spinning gears was entirely MY fault. Instead, I find out that AT and T's repair center is having to have close to 30 phones sent directly to customers tomorrow due to bricking issues. So I guess when you have a less than 3% marketshare, the key is roll out updates extremely late and extremely buggy. I'm no longer concerned as AT and T will just give me a new phone each time. So problem solved.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Here's the final note on this. AT and T is replacing the phone because it is in fact, bricked. I'm sure this really disappoints the IT God that was Shawn who was just certain that my impatience of 25 hours of spinning gears was entirely MY fault. Instead, I find out that AT and T's repair center is having to have close to 30 phones sent directly to customers tomorrow due to bricking issues. So I guess when you have a less than 3% marketshare, the key is roll out updates extremely late and extremely buggy. I'm no longer concerned as AT and T will just give me a new phone each time. So problem solved.
so impatient . Should wait at least 50 hrs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster