Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    My 920 has been stuck at gears for 15 min now when trying to update to GDR 2 :(. Anyone else have that problem?

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boo516 View Post
    My 920 has been stuck at gears for 15 min now when trying to update to GDR 2 :(. Anyone else have that problem?
    Mine took about 15 minutes. Others are reporting 10 minutes, while others are reporting 30 minutes. Be patient.

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Oh ok. I'm almost at 20 min.

well mine is stuck between the nokia screen and the att screen anyone have a fix?

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    try 30+ It isn't bricked....but who the hell knows who this step isn't the same for most. must have something to do with available space or exactly what kind of files you have on there that I presume are getting shuffled around.

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    I had spinning grears for just about 2 hours before it came out of it on a past update. 20 minutes is nothing. :-)
    You should be fine.

I just finished 40 minutes of spinning gears during the first of apparently two updates before coming out of it so it can take a while. Migrating data now but that's going to take a while as i've only a couple of gigs free.

No clue how long the second update will take.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    mines been spinning for 35 minutes....hopefully it's not bricked
    Mine is at about an hour spinning. Last time just for downloading a different keyboard. It took 4 hours. It is ridiculous.
    Mine is now migrating data step 1 of 5. This was no 5-10 minute estimate that the update said it would take

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I actually have a new problem. My update went through after 45 min. But as soon as I put my phone to sleep the screen becomes disabled. I can click the middle button to get to lock screen but cannot swipe up. The cApacitive buttons do not work either. Only the side physical buttons work. However if I reset my phone through volume down and power the touchscreen can be used again. But if I put it to sleep again, screen becomes disabled again. Anyone else have this?

3 hours of spinning Gears. Resets don't help. This is ridiculous. Any advice?

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Spinning gears here too. Hard reset my wife's 920 phone a couple of months ago when I got her the 1020, and the 920 stuck in gears mode and had to be swapped out at the AT&T service center.

I'm going to throw this phone in their face and demand either a 920 with the GDR2 already installed or give me a 1020. This is 2 for 2 going bad and that's unacceptable.

I am p!ssed!!!

WTH did they do to test this update for the last two months?

Update:

Success ... after 3 1/2 hours! Went back to my phone, and it was updated. Not sure why it took so long. I sure was going to raise some hell over this if it didn't work. Very happy with the new Glance features.
    Last edited by Tempest790; 10-10-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Looks like the install went fine...then restarted to a sad face, then spinning gears...for a half an hour. If this doesn't clear up in the next 30, I'm done with this phone. Great tiles and interface does NOT make up for bricking software and phones. And we all know none of these companies give two damns about us. And I'm not that damned tech superior to do this nightmare reboot nonsense that was listed.
    Gurggles likes this.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    two hours and counting. Reset did not work, looks like an hour drive to att is in order tomorrow
    Developer

my 620 took 15 minutes, my 920 took 2 hours. my advice: don't worry.
    MikeSo likes this.

I dont know how many people i have to explain this to, the phone is SUPPOSED to go into spinning, depending what data you and whats installed this can range anywhere from 10 minutes to literally 15-20 hrs, you resetting while the gears are spinnign is essentially interupting the flash and then you possibly brick your phone, all you impatient people bricking your phones and blaming nokia and everybody is ridiculous, they never said it would be under a certain amount of time, you cant wait then you deserve a bricked phone. I'm here to there is NO PROBLEM with bricked phones except people resetting it in the middle of an update or reset, its your fault, returning the phone to at&t because you didnt wait until update was done. At&t has no clue about windows phones they dont know any different. You CANNOT interrupt a flash in the middle of it, doesnt matter what your flashing, routers, phones, usb, they have to finish or you risk bricking whatever your flashing. And it has nothing to do with any hardware what so ever. If you have spinning gears its fine plug it in leave it alone might take all night next day it will be updated. If you dont like waiting that long then delete all the crap off your phone BEFORE you try to update it will update in 20 min easy.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu, MikeSo, Sakeeboy and 1 others like this.

Mine was done within 30 min. No problem for me here...

Perhaps the phone shouldn't say "IT WILL ONLY TAKE ONLY A FEW MINUTES" when updating and we wouldn't be concerned. I've had 2 of these things brick already and I'm down to my last nerve. I didn't reset or restart it either time, but I'll be GOD DAMNED if I wait 20 HOURS for an update. If it takes 20 hours, then that SHOULD BE BROADCAST before anyone updates. Who can go without a business phone for 20 hours?! And you're an *** saying someone DESERVES a bricked phone. Go crawl back under your bridge troll.
    Mine was done in 10 mins and it frozed after the required restart. I needed to force shut it down with the volume power and camera button.

Quote Originally Posted by boo516 View Post
    I actually have a new problem. My update went through after 45 min. But as soon as I put my phone to sleep the screen becomes disabled. I can click the middle button to get to lock screen but cannot swipe up. The cApacitive buttons do not work either. Only the side physical buttons work. However if I reset my phone through volume down and power the touchscreen can be used again. But if I put it to sleep again, screen becomes disabled again. Anyone else have this?
    Have the exact same problem...not happy.

Scoooters its called planning ahead, as i have posted today on other threads about bricked phones you had 2 bricked phones because your impatient and dont know what your doing, factory resetting phones every other month cause you think it will fix some problem you were supposedly having. i have personally had it take 10-15 hrs to do a reset, heres and idea start it before you goto bed and you got a good 8-9 hrs jump on it, Truth is after 8 hrs or so i lose track it might not have ever taken more than say 7 hrs but i do it before i goto bed, so you can say you didnt reset all you want but i know after, 2 or 3 hrs you and every other person that bricks them restarts the phone unplugs it turns it off whatever you interrupt it. My wifes IOS7 update took like 18 hrs to complete, and your complaining about 5. The bigger and more complex the OS get and the bigger your storage is because its backing up everything you have on your phone if you got 20 gigs of crap on your phone guess how long it takes to move 20 gigs to a backup? A VERY LONG TIME. So yes its your fault the other 2 were also your fault. Stop giving nokia a bad name with your impatient ignorance to electronics.
    MikeSo likes this.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Mine is 40 mins and going. I'm little worried now. I've to leave work in another 30 mins. Can I take it off the charger while the gears spin? The battery is at 100%. I can connect it back to power in 2hrs. Please help.

Ask Sean...he's got ALL the answers.

People needs to be patient with the update and don't touch the phone... If you mess with it during the update, it could brick
    Regards,

FearL0rd

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast