Wireless charger chimes in the middle of the night after GDR2/Amber

drderbydog

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
After applying the latest GDR2 and Amber updates I am having an annoying issue. I use the wireless charging plate with my Nokia Lumia 920, and I charge my phone overnight next to my bed while sleeping. When you place the phone on the charging plate, you hear the charging sound (or chime or whatever you call it). Since applying the GDR2 and Amber updates, the charging chime is now sounding in the middle of the night (which of course wakes me up at 3AM). I read some speculation that this could be a "full charge alert" for the phone, meaning it sounds once the battery reaches 100% charge. That seems like it might be true although I haven't found any official evidence that this "feature" was added. This definitely did not happen prior to the update as I have always put my phone on the charger at night and it has never woken me up before (unless it was not properly centered on the charger, which I know is not the problem here).

This is double bad for me because both my wife and I have the Lumia 920 and we both charge them at night. Our phones are both chiming at different times in the night, meaning we both get woken up twice.

If this is a new feature, it seems like a kinda cool feature but it needs to be able to be turned off.

Does anybody know if this is an intentional change in GDR2 or Amber and if so can you point me to some official announcement about the change? I would love to weigh in with Microsoft or Nokia and ask for a way to disable it.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There have been threads where, since the amber update the wireless charging is a lot more "fickle" .it happens to me too. The noise you're hearing is when it stops charging and starts back charging. You may even notice the light on the wireless charger blinking.

Sometimes I just power off and power back on the charger as well as the phone and it works fine.

Will have to wait for a software update. Hopefully GDR3 or Bittersweet Shimmer, fixes this issue.

Hope this helps :)

vignesh25

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue on my Nokia 920 . . tries on two different wireless charger. Phone keeps activating . . . randomly and vibrates (only way to stay sane is to turn vibrations off) . . but there must be some setting causing this . . still haven't figured out. Hope someone does, so I have options other that to keep the phone silent at all times (which kind of defeats the purpose of a phone)

iveys

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I just updated my 920 to GDR3 (minus the bittersweet shimmer) and still no luck. I have the same issue with both my 920 and 928 phones.

h_portal

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's happening to me with my 920 Amber + GDR3. It's weird because before when it hit 100% the charger started blinking, but now it's constantly on, like charging.

littlejay

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I got this issue too, but it seems to be the start of more battery problems. Wireless charging chimes all night and says 100% when done, and the battery dies very fast. Charging with usb on my pc does not charge the phone at all. It just sits at the current charge (30% today). Charging off a power adapter seems to be the only thing that really charges the phone normally but the battery still drains more than normal.

I have done all the suggested things. Brightness is low. NFC, location, data, bluetooth, and feedback are off. Background tasks are only weather and battery widget. I reopened all apps with location on like suggested in another thread.

I can't go to sleep with my phone on a full charge without it being dead. This isn't good :/

Edit: I turned off glance and removed it also.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue before the GDR2. I would be sitting in another room and all of a sudden it would start chiming. I would have to take it off the charger and put it back on to stop it and then a few hours later it would start up again. I just went back to plugging in the unit instead. I got a free wireless charger from ATT so I am not out any money on it. It does defeat the purpose.

drderbydog

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments, glad to hear I'm not the only one having this issue! I have had the "placement" issue before with wireless charging where it gets into the infinite chime loop. That is different than what I am seeing here. Also I double checked and Glance is not turned on for me.

This definitely seems to be a new feature. Now I am silencing my phone at night but that could be bad if there is an emergency and somebody needs to reach me.

mcraine

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got this problem as well. Hear the charging engaged sound randomly on the wireless charger. My glance is enabled on my 920 on ATT. Update: installed gdr3 and still have the problem. Most often it's just after 6am pst.

Last edited:

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I had this with glance set to peek, now ive set it to be on all the time & night mode 10 pm till 6 am and i no longer get woken in the night, im running GDR3 & amber on my 920

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. I am running GDR3 and it just randomly dings every few hours. Glance beta is no longer installed and I have glance off. I am not sure how to avoid this without turning glance on such as bozza72 did. I think glance is pointless and just a waste of battery.

moxsea

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This problem of the charging "chime" sounding off when the phone is on the charging plate has been happening constantly since the Amber update to my Lumia 920. If the phone is setting on the charging plate, it will sound off repeatedly, at random intervals, regardless of how carefully the phone is placed on the charging plate, regardless of time of day...like it's out to get me all the time, not just when I'm trying to sleep. Wireless charging was a key reason for me to get a Lumia 920, but now it's a primary pain in the ***. Maybe it's time to get a cheaper phone, you know, one that just works...thinking Lumia 520...warranty exchange?

clickclacker

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I am having the VERY SAME issues and it is dring me insane. NO SLEEP!!! I use my phones as my alarm clock but to interrupted all darned night long is ridiculous. I use the wireless stand and I too believe that when the phone is fully charged is when the ALERT 3 starts sounding. That's the alert that you hear when you place your phone on the charger. But in the past that is the ONLY time you heard. Now you hear it when it charges and it keeps going off all night long. I turn off my text, email sounds at night and now have turned everything lese off but that sound still occurs. MICROSOFT/NOKIA - PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wiscamper

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list. My wife and I both have 920's with the wireless charging plate from Nokia. The wireless charging worked great until the Amber update. Now it is VERY frustrating! The phones wake us up at random hours of the night. We have to put phones on silent to get any sleep. Not a good situation! Turned Glance off, but didn't help.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Also seeing the issue on my 920. At home I have the Energizer double-pad charger, and I usually get a chime at about 5:30 MDT. At work, I have the Nokia puck in a custom LEGO housing, and it will chime a lot more often if I try to leave the phone unlocked (screen timeout is 5 min, when it chimes, it resets the timeout, so it never really goes to sleep). If I keep locked (Glance on and Beta installed), I don't get the chime except maybe once every few hours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos