Anyone waiting on a true 920 successor?

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am. The 1520 is too big for me. I am looking for:

4.5-4.7 inch 1080p display (I'm not sure if I prefer AMOLED or LCD; I've only owned phones that have LCD displays)
Thin, colorful, matte unibody design
Huge Battery
Pureview lossless zoom camera (20 MP is good enough for me, I would take the 1520's camera over the 1020's because of that huge bump)
At least 32 GB, or 16 GB plus microSD expansion slot
Built-in Qi wireless charging

I don't care about processor or RAM because I know WP can run on mostly anything (although I would definitely prefer the Snapdragon 800). I will be picking up a Lumia 925 on T-Mobile, and hopefully in 1-2 years there will be a new flagship WP on T-Mobile that meets or exceeds my wants (probably exceeds because of how fast technology moves).

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I voted "YES" but not because I want to acquire the successor.

I actually want the 920, and when a successor is named, the 920 should nosedive on the unlocked open GSM market.

My 521 is fine, but I really want a flash, Compass - so I can use City Lens, and screen resolution enough to use "Quora" The 521 can't do any of these.

That's all folks. Otherwise, I'm super happy with the 521.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Voted "No".

While I really like my 920, I have big hands and banana fingers so I need a big screen. Also, my eyes get very tired if I stare at a small screen like the 920 for long. The bigger screen and better resolution should help with that. Besides that, I bought a Surface RT thinking I could use that for work, but it's just too big to be carrying around all the time so I have given it to my wife. The 1520 should fit the bill nicely as it sits right between phone and tablet with the portability of a phone that can fit in my back pocket and the usability of the bigger screen! Remote Desktop for WP can't come soon enough.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Love the 920, I don't want a bigger form factor though. This is just perfect for me. What I would like is the same size phone (though I can handle a 1020 back bump too), improved camera and video capabilities. Wireless charging is nice, but not a deal breaker. Loving the frequent updates from Nokia. But I would like to see MS really ramp up the missing features. Just dealing with downloads of MP3 podcasts is a real chore, when compared to my HTC Desire. The video files also are a bit choppy when I put them on my PC. Wanna stay Nokia though, love them. Even been getting a fair bit of interest in my phone recently, Nokia and MS are doing something right.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A5cent)- The 1020 has 2gb RAM to deal with image processing from the massive camera sensor, not a 1080p display.

Exactly. The thing is, the 1020 can't really be considered to be a 2GB device. Like you said, the second GB is used by the camera, so it is not really visible to the OS. Consequentially, the 1020 behaves no differently from any other 768p/720p device with 1GB of RAM.

The 1520 on the other hand, or any other future 1080p device for that matter, will ship with 2GB of memory, which is visible to the OS, like I said, to deal with the higher memory requirements of the larger video buffers and higher resolution resources.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I really like my L920, it's a great phone. A successor would only need to be freshened up. Maybe chuck in an amoled screen (I wouldn't want higher res), tweaks and improvements to the camera. Improving battery life should always be a high priority but that never seems to happen.

Frankly, all the work to improve the L920 needs to be done on MS end with WP8. I'm not saying that WP8 is bad, just needs a fair bit more polish. What I think is happening in the industry at the moment is that hardware, to some extent has plateaued. The technologies which were pushing boundaries, 6 years ago, are now more or less good enough, and we're seeing that with lackluster releases across the board in the smartphone world.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Built in wireless charging is a must and it's been absent in recent Nokia models... No clip on accessory for charging, that's BS. I don't even use a case because I like the looks of my Nokia 920 without one. Would like 1080p, more storage, and the ability to add micro SD card. I like to take my music, pictures, and video with me even where I have no connectivity. A high end camera would be sweet as well.

Oh, I just saw that but apparently my grandma came to me and told me, "Wake up, you'll be late for work"

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It must be 4.5" inch display { The main reason for buying 920 is the display Perfect size}.

I wouldn't say it must have the same size display. Rather, the overall dimensions shouldn't be any larger. If they can fit a larger display into a package of the same size or smaller, then all the better.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
It runs fine as you say, so why spend extra for hardware we really don't need? It just makes the phone more expensive to buy and here we all are with our 920s and tbh we don't really need new phones as it still runs amazingly after a year. I don't play top end games though, maybe a bit more power is required for gamers. Anyway the 1520 has the latest hardware in it, so Nokia have stepped up now in any case.

But I still would like a new toy, for me as a replacement I am fine with the specs of the 1520, but want it in a sub 5" device. I don't really want bigger than the 920's 4.5" screen, but reckon with a thinner device I could go up to 5" wide. So just a best of everything device, 920 built in charging, 1020 camera, 1520 internals and screen res, 625 screen size, 8210 weight (was my first Nokia).

Yea, I'm a huge phone gamer and play Modern Combat 4 and stuff like that. Having a powerful GPU is important for that kind of stuff, but if it weren't for me being a gamer, I'd have a 520 or something like that. I just want a phone that I can use one-handed without having to stretch my hand too hard or anything, has a screen as nice as the Moto-X or iPhone, and has expandable storage.

On top of that, Nokia has been charging for same price as devices who have the higher-end hardware that I speak, meaning you're paying more for a device (theoretically) has lower replay value; it's like paying more for a car than its worth at the time.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, maybe the Lumia 929 is a worthy successor to the 920?... Just need to confirm its existence and find out if it has expandable memory.

jorgemariom

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Why you wanna one hundred cores in the CPU? That's only marketing, I like the flow of my Lumia and it have only two but uses both.

What I wanna? A decent upgrade of the 925 every thing is OK.

What I really need? Battery life improvements.

Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I want the following improvements: battery, camera, storage space, & CPU speed... The 929, if real, looks to hit most, maybe all of those marks.

Yes quad core is trivial at this point, but a base speed increase will make the phone snappier... Maybe not on the start screen, but I've noticed my 920 having speed issues right after playing games like Tetris Blitz and Fruit Ninja.

christos5120

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
What are the main drawbacks of Lumia 920? In my opinion SCREEN and CAMERA resolution. I 'd love a new Lumia with the same specs (and the same body and colors!) as 920 but (1) with a 1080p screen resolution (probably at 4.8-5.0'') and (2) an 20 MP camera. Storage @ 32GB, memory @ 1GB and CPU are OK for WP8. Actually I like everything about the new 1520 except the SIZE! Can we have the new 1520 at 4.8-5.0'' ?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What are the main drawbacks of Lumia 920? In my opinion SCREEN and CAMERA resolution. I 'd love a new Lumia with the same specs (and the same body and colors!) as 920 but (1) with a 1080p screen resolution (probably at 4.8-5.0'') and (2) an 20 MP camera. Storage @ 32GB, memory @ 1GB and CPU are OK for WP8. Actually I like everything about the new 1520 except the SIZE! Can we have the new 1520 at 4.8-5.0'' ?

Looks like you've fallen prey to the blogosphere hype machine.

Unless you're planning to use your smartphone snapshots as a source for poster sized prints (where a real camera is recommended anyway), then there is no benefit to having a higher resolution camera. We've long past the point where increasing resolution makes sense, except for selling to people that don't know better, which unfortunately is the majority. An 8MP camera, as used by the L920, already delivers much higher resolution pictures than most computer monitors can display. Even if you have such a high end monitor, better colour reproduction would make a far more noticeable difference than higher resolution, which is usually sacrificed in order to print a larger number behind the resolution label on the spec sheet.

The exception to all the above are cameras that employ a form of oversampling, like the L1020, where a single pixel is not always treated as a single pixel.

The situation with display resolution is similar. Below 5", 1080p makes absolutely no sense. All it achieves it to bog down rendering performance for no discernable visual improvement.

In other words, neither screen or camera resolution are drawbacks.

These are the L920's real drawbacks:
  • the GPU, which was underpowered from day one
  • soft/fuzzy daylight shots, which is corrected using a sharpening filter that doesn't yield results that look as good as they should (compared to the iPhone 5)
  • thickness and weight (I couldn't care less, but it's important for sales)
  • imperfect contrast (although good for an LCD display)
  • battery life, including irregular battery drain and occasional overheating
  • underfeatured OS (hopefully corrected with WP8.1)

Slim it down, replace the current SoC with the Snapdragon 800 (primarily for the GPU), add the best possible OLED display (its thinner, has better contrast, but is not suitable for 1080p), fix the battery and camera issues, fit a higher capacity battery, and most importantly, give us a good WP8.1 update.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you've fallen prey to the blogosphere hype machine.

Unless you're planning to use your smartphone snapshots as a source for poster sized prints (where a real camera is recommended anyway), then there is no benefit to having a higher resolution camera. We've long past the point where increasing resolution makes sense, except for selling to people that don't know better, which unfortunately is the majority. An 8MP camera, as used by the L920, already delivers much higher resolution pictures than most computer monitors can display. Even if you have such a high end monitor, better colour reproduction would make a far more noticeable difference than higher resolution, which is usually sacrificed in order to print a larger number behind the resolution label on the spec sheet.

The exception to all the above are cameras that employ a form of oversampling, like the L1020, where a single pixel is not always treated as a single pixel.

The situation with display resolution is similar. Below 5", 1080p makes absolutely no sense. All it achieves it to bog down rendering performance for no discernable visual improvement.

In other words, neither screen or camera resolution are drawbacks.

These are the L920's real drawbacks:
  • the GPU, which was underpowered from day one
  • soft/fuzzy daylight shots, which is corrected using a sharpening filter that doesn't yield results that look as good as they should (compared to the iPhone 5)
  • thickness and weight (I couldn't care less, but it's important for sales)
  • imperfect contrast (although good for an LCD display)
  • battery life, including irregular battery drain and occasional overheating
  • underfeatured OS (hopefully corrected with WP8.1)

Slim it down, replace the current SoC with the Snapdragon 800 (primarily for the GPU), add the best possible OLED display (its thinner, has better contrast, but is not suitable for 1080p), fix the battery and camera issues, fit a higher capacity battery, and most importantly, give us a good WP8.1 update.

EDIT: to make is short and sweet.

I want any camera with sensor size 1/1.8 or better and at least 12MP. That's the biggest thing. I like the 20-41 because zoom is pretty legit. But to be honest the 20mp in the 1520 looks lackluster compared to the Xperia Z1 spec-wise. Smaller sensor, smaller aperture. Hope the picture quality is better.

Last edited:

christos5120

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Since you agree with the display resolution and I agree with all that you noted, the CAMERA issue still remains: The camera resolution is important (along with the software that processes the captured images). I agree that in a full HD monitor or TV 8MP (even 5MPs from my L620) is fine. But what if in a landscape picture of a city you want to zoom in into buildings details AFTER capturing the picture? Digital noise with fuzzy details. But L1020 camera and software work wonders. That's why I asked for an 20MP camera (although 41 MPs would be better!). And, wishing for a better OVERALL camera experience from a mobile phone is not to fall "prey to the blogosphere hype machine"...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
the CAMERA issue still remains: The camera resolution is important (along with the software that processes the captured images).<snipped> But what if in a landscape picture of a city you want to zoom in into buildings details AFTER capturing the picture?

That's the biggest thing. I like the 20-41 because zoom is pretty legit.

I think both of you are saying the same thing. I'm not saying you're wrong to like those camera resolutions, at least not then when they actually contribute to worthwhile features like they do on the L1020, and if we were talking about the successor to the L1020, then I would completely agree with you. However, we're talking about a successor to the L920.

If you are going to offer the zoom of the L1020, then you need to do it right, meaning a large sensor with the highest possible resolution. IMHO, trying to do the same with a 20MP sensor, or even a 12MP sensor, is a complete waste of time. It then becomes a sales gimmick rather than something truly useful. So we would need at least an equivalent sensor for those features to make sense, but that would mean a similarly sized camera bulge. That's not what the L920 was about.

If we are talking about a L920 successor, then 8MP is fine. It will probably be 12MP for marketing reasons, but that will make the actual results worse than if they stick with an 8MP sensor with the same surface area (particularly light sensitivity and noise). That is how tech works. Developing the best selling device is far more important than developing the best device.

Increasing camera resolution, after a certain point, offers diminishing returns. At least for now, we are past the point where further increasing camera resolution is important (again, for devices that don't intend to offer the L1020 huge sensor and zoom capabilities).

Of course, this applies only to camera smartphones. DSLR's are a different story.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs