Need advice which lumia phone to get

charunkel

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm at the step to change from Android to Windows. I have currently a Samsung S3 which since I leave the US want to change to a windows mobile phone. The two phones which intrigued me most were the 620 and the 920 but I'm hesitant since all the subforms (928, 929, etc) confuse me.

Maybe you guys / girls can help me out: Since I have a surface pro, most of my work is really done on it. I realize that mostly I only use my galaxy s3 for email replies, a little bit internet surfing (facebook, news, reading websites e.g. wpcentral), very rarely GPS for navi and mostly also taking pictures (i stopped having a digicam), One thing which annoyed me a lot with the s3 is the battery. Pretty much when data is on, the phone does not last a day, which is a desaster. I barely play games on it or watch videos (surface is meant for that) so I do need the newest hardware.

I'm used to the screen size of the s3 but could also settle for a smaller one if necessary. In any case, I would appreciate any advice which of the currently available lumia phones could replace my s3 (or even maybe improve).

Thanks

char

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you're an avid "photo-take-outer", get the 920.

You'll have the same experience across both devices, but the camera and the screen set the 920 apart.

The 620 is a great device though and either one will improve your S3 experience.

It boils down to if the camera and screen difference is worth the extra money to you.

charunkel

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply.

I realized for instance that the camera with the S3 is very good to be honest and I start taking more pictures since i'ts just nice if you have a good camera on board.
I like to take pictures in the evening when going out which the S3 does quite well (for instance compared to the iphone of my girlfriend). I just wonder how much equal / better the 920 would stand out in comparison to battery life, apps (I really only need the standard apps, which I know exist on the windows store from my surface) and a good camera.

do you know if it's worth it to get the 920 now or is any major event coming out, meaning possibly causing a possible price cut on the 920?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome.

920 takes better pictures than the S3. Battery life is great. But, as always, the more you use your phone, the faster your battery will die.

We're waiting on the 1520 to release very very very soon. That may send the 920 down. Lots of upcoming sales as well. If you're patient, I'm sure you will get the 920 at a great price.

You haven't mentioned size. People complain because of the size of the 920 (and weight). Me , personally, i love it and will not trade it for a 925. Coming from an S3, you will feel the difference in your hand.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The 920 has a better camera (you can watch comparisons against the s3). At this time you can get the 920 for a bargain on ebay the 925/928 as well. If you want better things I would recomend waiting until the next gen devices (630, 730, 830, 930). It depends on tour wallet and patience ;)

charunkel

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
to be honest, i don't need the newest technology and I have maximum 1-1.5 months time (i would like to buy it when I'm still in the US). Does anyone of you know from upcoming signficant changes in this time frame and thank you for all the help. :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is a great phone. If you prefer something lighter and thinner, you might want to consider the 925. Both have incredible cameras. Actually, the 925 has a sixth lens. The 620 is also a good phone (my mom has it). The cameras on all the Nokia Lumia phones are actually all capable of getting quality photos, but generally, the best are 920, 925 and 1020.

jkimrey

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
If you are interested in a used 920, please PM me - I have a AT&T locked 920 with two wireless chargers and otterbox case I'm trying to sell for pretty cheap so I can get a 1520. :)

Would post in the buy/sell forum but I don't meet the requirements.

Didn't want to high jack your thread, just thought I'd mention it in case you were interested.

The 920, btw, is an awesome awesome phone. :)

charunkel

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the offer but I always prefer new when it comes to phones. Besides, I need an unlocked international one. Anyone knows if Nokia offers international warranty on their phones?

I think, it's then either the 920 or 925? To be honest, I have big hands and I like it when the phone is "bigger". My other problem for instance with the S3 was that it's very thin and light and it has a tendency to fell out of my hand. ;). I never understood why every phone has to become thinner...

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
hey there! So, I'll give my opinion for you,

As being said up here, if you want to take photos as well, just go with the lumia 920, it takes amazing photos that even though it's been 1 year since it has been released, few phones can match it, and it easily beats iphone 5 camera and even S4 in some cases, I came from android as well (motorola razr maxx), and I went straight to 920 and couldn't be happier, 920 is faster than s3 in general, and it does feel well built, you'll see that you'll be holding a stunning phone (mine is black matte, which matches it perfectly), and that nokia feel..

Battery life has never been it's strongs parts, at least for me (remebering that I use it all day long, every time..) and that it does support 4g as well, which would be nice for you since you could easily watch videos and etc..

the screen is great and reading it directly from the sun light as well, in every ways, amazing phone..

I would say that you should get the 920, even because I don't think 925 is better.. it has an ''almost nothing'' improvement over 920's camera, and it has 16gb against 920's 32gb, which is very handy..

either way you choose, wp8 experience is great and you'll not regret it, I would say for you to go for the 920, even because it's been cheapier since 925 has been released..

also, lumia 1520 is very close to be launched, I would say 2 weeks max, so you could wait a bit more to see if 920's price would get even cheapier, remebering that you can find 920 sealed in box for around 350 dollars on ebay, which is VERY good, since it was nokia's flagship and response to iphones and galaxies, which I think that 920 is superior to them all..

charunkel

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you all. I actuall forgot to mention that i got the 620 for my mom and it arrived today as a surprise. So i will see how she can figure it out. I guess 920 it is for me then. In Germany they are 350 Euro btw which is quite a steep price compared to approx 350 dollar here. The reason, I want to get it before I leave...

charunkel

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
now i saw the comparisons with the 1020 and oh my god, the quality of the camera is superb. tough decision making. I feel nokia really did a great job with the lumia phones.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
now i saw the comparisons with the 1020 and oh my god, the quality of the camera is superb. tough decision making. I feel nokia really did a great job with the lumia phones.

and they did make, believe me, I decided to adopt lumia 920 few months ago, and I was VERY scared, I mean, going to a totally new platform that has been growing.. I was very afraid, even because I paid a lot for the flagship (920), but I have no regrets, this cellphone is amazing in every aspect and I just won't leave wp8 anymore..

oh, I never had a nokia as well, I had an android and blackberry.. and man, what a difference..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett