Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

madogmoody

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Got internet sharing to work on my ATT branded 1020 running on T-mobile but Cyan broke my internet sharing and i cant get it back! :(

Last edited:

calvano915

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Flash to Rogers ROM and you get T-Mobile internet sharing, LTE, visual voicemail, and everything else that "breaks" with ATT ROM (it appeared my signal reception got better as well, but that may be just an updated radio firmware. I like to believe flashing enabled AWS but haven't tested). It's a bit of work but I've been enjoying 8.1 with only one issue which is that Dev Preview wouldn't update correctly. This may be fixed now, but I'm sticking to what's current anyway since I've read about battery issues, etc with the GDRs. I don't know why this advice is being ignored by anyone with an ATT 920 that still has these issues. FYI I still did the foreign sim trick after getting to Rogers 8.1 just in case.

Bonnie_Raitt

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a AT&T Nokia 920 that I recently unlocked and started using on T-Mobile. I foolowed your instructions with a Giffgaff card ordered from Italy via ebay. Internet sharing is working. Thanks a lot buddy. Man I love the internet. If you can read you can be a guru.

Bonnie_Raitt

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, I just tried this on my wife's Nokia 1020 (ATT) that I unloacked to run on T-Mobile and it failed. Has anyone found a solution to the 1020 problem

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Wow, this is a complex thread. When I have a chance, I'll try and sift through it all...

If I can pose a question (sorry if this seems lazy), but has anyone used these techniques to get Internet Sharing that was lost with the 8.1 update working on the T-Mobile network again? This seems to be an issue with 920s and 925s, that internet sharing worked fine in 8.0 on unlocked internation handsets, but was lost when updating to 8.1.

I think this is what people are pondering now, and that there hasn't been a solution.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this is a complex thread. When I have a chance, I'll try and sift through it all...

If I can pose a question (sorry if this seems lazy), but has anyone used these techniques to get Internet Sharing that was lost with the 8.1 update working on the T-Mobile network again? This seems to be an issue with 920s and 925s, that internet sharing worked fine in 8.0 on unlocked internation handsets, but was lost when updating to 8.1.

I think this is what people are pondering now, and that there hasn't been a solution.

Yes, the main topic of this thread now is that Cyan/8.1 broke the internet sharing fix. So far, no fixes to the fix except maybe flashing to Rogers, which I don't think I'm wanting to mess with. Living without it for now, but still hoping someone will figure out how to make it work again.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The latest minor update on dev preview has fixed my mms problem and internet sharing on my 920 so you guys should test it out too.

FourT2

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
TL;DR - Got this to work on UNBRANDED, UNLOCKED 1020, running 8.1.

I originally had an AT&T branded 1020 that I had unlocked. The procedure in the first post worked fine until I upgraded to 8.1. Picture messaging worked, but not internet sharing.

Just came back from MS store after exchanging the AT&T branded one for a new, unlocked and unbranded 1020, which came with 8.0. Out of the box, internet sharing did not work.
All I had to do was update to 8.1 and picture messaging and internet sharing started working. No weird SIM tricks. I am running 8.10.12393.890

wp_ss_20140924_0001.jpg

calvano915

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't post links but just search these forums for "920 flash convert to indian". Just read everything first and then take each step slowly, and you should be fine. The final step is staying on Rogers rather than moving to a different foreign rom (unless you want to risk losing LTE or other risks). You just get to Rogers pre-portico and then update all the way to latest. It seems you can download the cyan Rogers rom and flash straight to it after doing pre-portico, but I didn't want to risk flashing again since it worked as it was. All the updates take a while but it was totally worth it for me.

calvano915

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Edit: Apparently the quote did not come through. This was in response to someone saying they know for sure that AWS doesn't get unlocked.

I know...I know...but it FEELS like it did :) I'm sure its just the updated rom/radio firmware that increased my signal reception in general.

calvano915

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Edit: This is in response to the person asking for step by step instructions for flashing to Rogers.

Search the forums for 920 indian convert flash or similar and it should come up (i can't post the link). It has many pages and very popular. Just read everything first and understand the risks and then take it step slowly, and it should go fine. When the guide says to stop if you want to stay on Rogers that's where you stop (going to any other roms will most likely cripple LTE, possibly other risks) and then update from there on the phone itself. I think it's likely you can flash to cyan after the Rogers pre-portico that you flash to in the guide, but I didn't want to risk choosing any incorrect rom. All the updates take a while but I still have 0 issues weeks later. On the other hand someone is saying that the latest dev preview fixed internet sharing on ATT rom but I still will never regret going to Rogers instead since they don't screw with the features like ATT does.

Edit: One last thing, with the additional update released today to Dev Preview (8.10.14176.243) I was able to take the plunge and update to as much as MS will let me through Dev Preview. In other words, the error I was receiving previously that prevented Dev Preview updates beyond cyan was definitely due to an MS bug rather than Rogers or the flashing procedure. So this confirms that I *officially* had 0 problems flashing my red ATT 920 to Rogers and updating to the absolute latest version of the OS (Which adds bluetooth internet sharing among other features :) ). The Dev Preview problem had initially been the one thing that didn't work right after flashing/updating but no moar :)

Last edited:

ariez84

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
So after updating the dev preview and Cyan, I cant internet share with tmobile. I used the foreign SIM trick and worked for a few months, now its all ****ed up again. *sigh*

Im about ready to give up on Windows Phone.

Jonahkirk

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Don't use internet sharing, and didn't know MMS was broken until this afternoon. Unlocked ATT Lumia 920 on T-Mobile USA, DP 8.1+ updated to Cyan last night. Access Point using same MMS APN settings seems to have fixed MMS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb