Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
TL;DR - Got this to work on UNBRANDED, UNLOCKED 1020, running 8.1.

I originally had an AT&T branded 1020 that I had unlocked. The procedure in the first post worked fine until I upgraded to 8.1. Picture messaging worked, but not internet sharing.

Just came back from MS store after exchanging the AT&T branded one for a new, unlocked and unbranded 1020, which came with 8.0. Out of the box, internet sharing did not work.
All I had to do was update to 8.1 and picture messaging and internet sharing started working. No weird SIM tricks. I am running 8.10.12393.890

Congrats. This is the opposite of T-Mobile--Internet Sharing works perfectly on 8.0, completely loss in 8.1.

On T-Mobile, even the proposed solutions are all over the place--seems like those that do work frequently break over time. Sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but it sounds like AT&T actually has a solution because they are rolling down the updates (on the 925, I've heard). So the T-Mobile solution might be to optimistically hope for the same (i.e. no solution aside from the official one).

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
OF COURSE unlocked unbranded phones have Internet Sharing working just find. Because they SHOULD. They are free of ATT's meddling. ATT has intentionally broken Internet Sharing.

anon(5884236)

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
My wife's unbranded 1520 on T-Mobile worked and now it doesn't. My ATT unlocked 1020 also doesn't work on T-Mobile. So in my case, it doesn't have anything to do with ATT.

I recall seeing a post way back that Internet Sharing will not work on T-Mobile LTE. I downgraded my 1020 to 4G and Internet Sharing worked fine. After upgrading to 8.1.1, it broke. I can't find the fix to downgrade to 4G anymore. Anybody remember that fix?

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Just found this thread and it does seem that the 8.1 update that I got for my 8x on Tmo has broken this. Was thinking of doing a device reset but it looks like that won't help.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Just found this thread and it does seem that the 8.1 update that I got for my 8x on Tmo has broken this. Was thinking of doing a device reset but it looks like that won't help.

If you're resetting and still in 8.1, you may have the same issue that I had with my Lumia 925--basically, internet sharing only works in 8.0, and no versions of 8.1.

But did you actually have a T-mobile phone? If T-Mobile rolled out an update that broke internet sharing, then they'd really screwed up big-time, but I hadn't heard that 8.1 had gone out on the 8X. If you've got an unlocked phone, like me, you may be out of luck (since I don't know if HTC has a tool that can downgrade from 8.1 to 8.0). Nokia's tool only works for 8.1, not 8.1.1 (as it's called).

If it is a T-Mobile phone, and not unlocked, you have a case for a replacement, at least.

Reading through this thread, it really doesn't sound like any of these solutions apply to T-Mobile (just AT&T, and that's if you're lucky, and they may be temporary). As they seem to involve a phone wipe anyway, I'm very reluctant to try them myself.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
ALL:

This thread got my internet sharing and MMS working. I have T-Mobile and am using a Rogers 1020. However, after I installed Cyan, my internet sharing stopped working but I fixed it rather easily.

The first thing I did was go to Cellular+Sim and switch Manual Internet APN to Off. Internet sharing still wasn't working so the next thing I did was reinstall the access point app. Now internet sharing and MMS is working. Possibly if you have Cyan, this thread might not be needed anymore. Can anyone confirm?

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
ALL:

This thread got my internet sharing and MMS working. I have T-Mobile and am using a Rogers 1020. However, after I installed Cyan, my internet sharing stopped working but I fixed it rather easily.

The first thing I did was go to Cellular+Sim and switch Manual Internet APN to Off. Internet sharing still wasn't working so the next thing I did was reinstall the access point app. Now internet sharing and MMS is working. Possibly if you have Cyan, this thread might not be needed anymore. Can anyone confirm?

How do you reinstall Access Point--or rather, how do you uninstall it? It's not a normal app, but an integrated function.

I'd be happy to try this out otherwise.

EDIT: Also, under Cellular+SIM I don't have a Manual Internet APN setting. Hmmm...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ALL:

There is no "manual APN to off" on the ATT ROM.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
How do you reinstall Access Point--or rather, how do you uninstall it? It's not a normal app, but an integrated function.

I'd be happy to try this out otherwise.

EDIT: Also, under Cellular+SIM I don't have a Manual Internet APN setting. Hmmm...

I'm not sure if that step is necessary since it didn't fix my internet sharing until I reinstalled Access point. You can install an app called Sys App Pusher to get access point installed. The directions in the beginning of the thread showed how to uninstall it.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if that step is necessary since it didn't fix my internet sharing until I reinstalled Access point. You can install an app called Sys App Pusher to get access point installed. The directions in the beginning of the thread showed how to uninstall it.

Ah, you're correct--Access+ can be removed quite easily like that.

I still don't have that option under Cellular+SIM but, as Inteller suggested, that might just be my handset's ROM, so there's no way to test it. It was worth a shot, and it's not like I had any functionality to lose by trying.

cooltaj

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It didn't work on ATT 1020. I hate ATT.
It was working prior on LUMIA black, it seems only thing LUMIA CYAN brought was arrows and "tethering" block. MS should control this OS feature, not ATT....no wonder their "firmware testing" takes a long a$$ time to properly test how they can screw their customers over.

Paul Park1

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
i had the same problem. this article's solution won't work for cyan anymore.

after researching for a week, the answer that i got is that they will never fix this problem. att edited the rom like this.

i bought a rogers lumia1020 few days ago. after setting up my new 1020, i am selling this crappy att1020.

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
So I take it that the only real solution here, for those of us who want to upgrade the OS & firmware, is to flash to a different ROM, like Rodgers?

I have been unsuccessfully trying to flash my 920 to the Rodgers rom since I inadvertently let AT&T update the phone to cyan.

Not sure if I'm going through the process incorrectly or if AT&T has also blocked (through cyan) the ability to even flash the phone to a different rom.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have been unsuccessfully trying to flash my 920 to the Rodgers rom since I inadvertently let AT&T update the phone to cyan.

Not sure if I'm going through the process incorrectly or if AT&T has also blocked (through cyan) the ability to even flash the phone to a different rom.

The only way you can flash the Rogers ROM onto the ATT 920 is by first flashing it to the pre Portico ROM (search around). Yes ATT has locked out the 920 and the pre Portico Rogers rom is the only option

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
The only way you can flash the Rogers ROM onto the ATT 920 is by first flashing it to the pre Portico ROM (search around). Yes ATT has locked out the 920 and the pre Portico Rogers rom is the only option

Since the update to cyan, the Nokia care program does not recognize my 920 - can't flash the pre-portico.

Like I said, not sure if it is user error on my part or if AT&T has managed to prevent the phone from being flashed through the Nokia suite via cyan.

At this point I'm using an old 520, waiting on a 735 or a 830 to become available in a non AT&T variant. I think the 830's are available from a couple of Canadian carriers but I haven't had the time to research how easily they can be unlocked for use on Straight Talk.

Initially I bought the phone outright (unsubsidized) from the Microsoft store - frustrating that AT&T can control and limit the functionality of my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo