Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

blzr409

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I never had any issue with MMS on my Rogers 920 running on T-Mobile. I never was able to get Internet Sharing to work until I got the Black update this week. It now works perfectly. Didn't have to try any special techniques to get it working at all.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I finally got MMS working on my phone, which was a big plus. Now I can't enable Internet Sharing. It takes me to the page for T-Mobile to sign up for it, which I already am with 2.5GB data plan. My workaround for the MMS was installing the Spanish Keyboard hack again and after wiping my phone and starting all over again.

canadian1der

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's really disappointing to be honest. I remember buying unlocked phones straight from Nokia off of their website, even when you could buy locked models straight from ATT. (RIP my old E71!) It's terrible annoying that they apparently admit to gimping branded-but-unlocked devices from working 100%.

I suppose I can deal with it, as long as we are able to continue using the workaround described by the original post. The question is what the future holds. Hopefully we can continue using this method after the coming Windows Phone 8.1 updates.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I never had any issue with MMS on my Rogers 920 running on T-Mobile. I never was able to get Internet Sharing to work until I got the Black update this week. It now works perfectly. Didn't have to try any special techniques to get it working at all.

Open Access Point once and a restart will take you back to how it was before

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
unless something has changed. I have bought unlocked nokia devices in US. I bought the maemo n900 a few years ago (prob way more than a few) and it was unlocked. I bought from newyork, I think they also have stores in LA and Chicago. maybe something changed though.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
unless something has changed. I have bought unlocked nokia devices in US. I bought the maemo n900 a few years ago (prob way more than a few) and it was unlocked. I bought from newyork, I think they also have stores in LA and Chicago. maybe something changed though.

Sorry, Nokia closed all its US stores and doesn't sell any unlocked phones in the US, no one does unless they are imports and apart from Rogers devices which are pentaband (and still technically a carrier phone) you can't buy a current US Nokia device unlocked and unbranded.

zabto

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
MZ3 (and others) can you confirm internet sharing can be initiated on LTE as well? I could start sharing on everything but LTE before trying this out; Using a new Telus CA sim resulted in claims of no cellular data connection available AND no MMS functionality.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
MZ3 (and others) can you confirm internet sharing can be initiated on LTE as well? I could start sharing on everything but LTE before trying this out; Using a new Telus CA sim resulted in claims of no cellular data connection available AND no MMS functionality.

With my 1020, tethering works on lte.

mz3

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

My internet sharing works when it says LTE so I'm assuming yes. I can connect my surface to it and stream Netflix pretty well if that means anything

Roger Luechtefeld

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried this on my AT&T 920 with a Bell SIM from Canada. This did not work for me. If I am on 4G it works fine, but not if I'm on LTE. I was careful to follow the instructions exactly and even tried them a second time. Interestingly, when I try to enable internet sharing now, the failure message I see no longer mentions AT&T so the process did make some difference. It says I need to update my account to use internet sharing and gives me a link to T-Mobile's web page. I have the 2.5GB plan which is supposed to include tethering. Any suggestions?

swimmer160

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so another update. I ordered a Virgin Mobile Canada Micro SIM from ebay, and followed all the steps for both access points on the SIM (a Bell and a Virgin AP), the Bell one didn't work in my wife's 1020, but the Virgin AP changed the message that I received on the phone. I double checked and triple checked the AP settings for T-Mobile, and everything was as it should be. I reinstalled Access Point, with the T-Mobile SIM in, and tried the internet sharing and it worked just fine. Connected a laptop to it and all. When I rebooted the phone, a message then pops up saying Internet tethering is not authorized on this account (or something like that). Now her internet sharing and MMS won't work, when MMS has been fine this whole time.

I'm trying the process on my 1520 right now and will update with those results...

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the Orange SIM card linked to above from Amazon, after trying a Centennial card I got from a cell phone store yesterday (didn't work). This is an add-on item so you can't just buy it, you have to buy $25 of other stuff, shipped from Amazon to be able to add this item to the order. We should start mailing these around to each other after we are finished with them. I'll do that with mine after I'm comfortable I won't need it again. One stamp and an envelope is no big deal compared to what I was just forced to buy from Amazon (stuff I needed/wanted anyway :) )

IamPablo

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I have tried this any way I can. I even transferred my service to Tmobile to follow the instructions exactly. This will NOT work with the 820. I keep getting the message "There's no data connection to share right now...." I get this even though I am able to connect to the internet and send pictures on texts. The only way I can get this to work is to follow the steps and then reinstall the Access Point app. This will work until I reboot and then Access Point will reset the settings from the Tmobile card and not work again.

I have the exact same issue as maxmin. I've got an unlocked AT&T Nokia 1020 - works great with T-Mobile service, just no internet sharing. I got wind of this "workaround" and was excited to give it a shot!

Tried O2 SIM from Ireland and Vodaphone SIM from Spain - exact same results as maxmin:

"I followed the steps and I couldn't connect. I reinstalled the Access Point App and then I could connect. The problem is when rebooted the phone I could no longer connect. The same procedure applied to both ATT and T-Mobile. I couldn't connect without Access Point installed. But on reboot Access Point will read the sim card and loose the foreign settings." I also tried un-installing Access Point with the date trick while Internet Sharing was working. As soon as I rebooted, the foreign settings were lost.

I had already updated to Lumia Black before trying any of this.

Any tips, ideas, or suggestions?

ggonzalez777

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that this fix works on an AT&T 920 using a giffgaff micro sim. I'm on T-Mobile and LTE is being shared and MMS is working too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs