Is the 920 still worth buying?

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at taking a phone contract for a family member. We've found the 920 with no upfront payment and ?23 a month on a two year contract.

This seems like a good deal but I have reservations. By the end of the two years the 920 will be well out of date and with Nokia releasing new phones all the time it is being superseded regularly. It's obviously still a fine phone with 32GB, built in wireless charging, etc.

Would you go for it on that deal or spend the extra for a 925 (?27 no upfront cost) or a 1020 (?34 with ?69 upfront)?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They're essentially the same phone with some things slightly different.

L920 - built in wireless charging, LCD display, 32GB - Nokia Lumia 920 - Full phone specifications
L925 - dual LED flash, AMOLED display, 16/32GB - Nokia Lumia 925 - Full phone specifications
L1020 - 41MP camera, AMOLED display, 32GB, 2GB RAM - Nokia Lumia 1020 - Full phone specifications

The weight and battery are the biggest complaints regarding any Lumia. Though the L920 gets the most for both categories.

Saying that, I have a L920, I'm mostly happy with it and I think it's a great phone. I plan to keep it for now and see what comes. Would I get it on a 2 year contract? Not sure. Sort of depends on the person using it. Then again, that can be said about any current WP.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If it was me I would go for the 925. For me it is worth the extra ?4 a month but it depends on what you like in a phone. 925 is slimmer and lighter but needs a shell for wireless charging and has less storage, although i think a 32g storage version is available in some markets. As for it being out of date in 2 years time, well the 920 and to a lesser extent the 925 already are, and for that matter a phone that comes out tomorrow will be in 6 months too. You can go crazy and broke trying to keep up with the latest :)

Chris_kosmidis

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The built-in wireless charging alone, is a great reason to buy 920 over 925..Altough i love my 1020, the charging covers are a bit annoying, and believe me, you will be needing often charging..Anyway..Hope i helped!
Cheers!

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at taking a phone contract for a family member. We've found the 920 with no upfront payment and ?23 a month on a two year contract.

This seems like a good deal but I have reservations. By the end of the two years the 920 will be well out of date and with Nokia releasing new phones all the time it is being superseded regularly. It's obviously still a fine phone with 32GB, built in wireless charging, etc.

Would you go for it on that deal or spend the extra for a 925 (?27 no upfront cost) or a 1020 (?34 with ?69 upfront)?

i would suggest you buy the 920 simfree from tesco. ?230. and that way if something else comes along you want instead, you will not have pay to end your contract early

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i would suggest you buy the 920 simfree from tesco. ?230. and that way if something else comes along you want instead, you will not have pay to end your contract early

To add that, if you're off contract you can get a Virigin SIM for ?15 unlimited everything. There are other offers out there as well of course but that's what I'm using currently with no complaints other than the usual crappy UK mobile tower network.

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Unless the family member is worried about "the latest phone" go for the 920. I got mine mid year and im still glad i did. I was trying to pick between this and the nexus 4, and im glad i don't have to put up with android anymore! Its high spec enough that it gets all the updates Nokia release (pro cam etc.), and itll get 8.1 next year too! 2 years is a while, let th family member play with one for a bit too. I like the weight, but they may hate it! At the end of the day, if they want it as a phone with some extra stuff, even when its "really out of date", itll still meet their needs. Plus its indestructible!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Plus its indestructible!

I wouldn't go that far. Hit on the right angle and it will break. There's threads where people have dropped their phone about a meter or less and the screen cracked. It's still glass.

Yes I have dropped mine face down onto pavement and didn't even scratch the damn thing but I got lucky and I know it.

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay, ill give you that but we've all seen the state of iPhones when they get dropped (mainly the glass on the 4/4s)... Lumias seem to have a bit more survivability than the average smartphone.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what you're after really....the 925 has a better camera than the 920, and is also slimmer and lighter (personally I don't notice), but the 920 has more internal storage (16GB vs. 32GB) and wireless charging, which I really wish I had on my 1020. Personally I'd go for the 920, you can get it in yellow and have wireless charging :D

Anbztht

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
i got the 920 2 days ago and its awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... !!!!
btw is not that heavy ... :winktongue:

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had the 920 for a year now and still love it. I do not have any other lumia envy. You get 32gb and qi charging with a good camera. Unless something earth shattering comes up w/in the next year I'm not even considering switching.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I guided a friend to the AT&T 920 last week, first smartphone and she loves it. I had no second thoughts. She travels a lot and it is her primary source for her laptop WiFi connection.
We have had two since launch with no problems.

GerOrBa

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
920 all the way! I have mine for 2 weeks and it's greatness in my hand! ... 925, 928 and 1020 are versions of the 920 with an extra gimmick, in which, arguably, only the 1020 is worth the added cost, and only if you are into photography, but the camera on the 920 is still great (and the one in the 925 only marginally better).

SamiSaifDine

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Go for Lumia 920, more storage + Wireless charging + updates ( since I bought it 2 months ago , I updated it 2 times and the next updates ( Lumia black, Windows phone 8.1) will roll on it too + color choices + not heavy at all + I read a review testing photos taken by 920 vs the ones taken by 925 .. And somehow the 920 ones are much better ! My only problem with the L920 was the battery .. But since last week it was good enough ! ( when you buy yor lumia make sure before using it , its charged for 8/12 hours maybe that was my mistake ) I hope i helped you in your decision .. ( btw, I had the same confusion and posted a similar post in theverge.com and now i am happy with my decision :)
Lumia 925 battery is better using the AMOLED SCREEN Which saves a lot of battery lifetime beside the LCD SCREEN of lumia 920

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Not at full price but yes, its still fantastic phone. I have to upgrade it at some point but I have yet to know anything that can replace my Lumia 920.

CGA1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Bought mine a couple of weeks ago. Coming from Android I'm more than happy and I would definitely say go for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster