Screen goes black during phone calls... any idea?

elvisff

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
My screen started going completely black during active phone calls, almost like the motion sensor is thinking the phone is in a pocket. I had this happen before and it was fixed with an update, but it seems to have started again with the most current updates. Any ideas. I don't want to hard reset my phone if I don't have to, just to find out it won't fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen goes black during phone calls... any inea?

DO you happen to use a screen protector that maybe covers the proximity sensor? A co-worker had the same issue on his HTC Titan, despite the screen protector being see-through, the phone would think the sensor was blocked. He then simply cut the screen protector and re-attached it, that fixed his problem.

If that's not working (or the issue), it might sound like a hardware issue. Either there's dust in the proximity sensor or maybe the connector is loose. If you're adventurous you can open the device and check.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

If you are saying that the screen goes off when you place the phone close to your ears, then its just the proximity sensor working in there. Its normal in every 920.
But if it always stays blank, then do as @Localhorst86 says.

J_WP

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

Is it possible you may have hit the lock/power button by accident? I ran into this the other day where my screen would be black even if I took it away from my ear and discovered I had "locked" my phone by accident as I was talking.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

It's a known problem of the proximity sensor, dust infiltrates inside it through the earpiece hole and prevents the light from reaching the sensor. You can blow it with compressed air or take it to a repair center. They'll insert a rubber gasket around it.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_249 using Tapatalk

KMV84

May 14, 2014
Visit site
My screen goes black during phone calls too, even if I have the phone sitting on my desk. The proximity sensor is not being blocked. It's especially annoying when I'm checking voicemails or in an automated system where I need to use keypad to enter digits during the call. I have to push the power button to unlock the phone and even when I do that, screen only stays active for a few seconds and then goes right back to the black screen.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My screen goes black during phone calls too, even if I have the phone sitting on my desk. The proximity sensor is not being blocked. It's especially annoying when I'm checking voicemails or in an automated system where I need to use keypad to enter digits during the call. I have to push the power button to unlock the phone and even when I do that, screen only stays active for a few seconds and then goes right back to the black screen.

How long do you have it set for your lock screen to stay on?

u6uta8u4.png

Urias Gadelha

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1520, and this problem started after the 8.1 update... when i'm calling or receiving a call, the screen goes black, and then ai have to lock e unlock the phone...

i dont think this is a hardware failure, because sometimes, it work just fine, going black when i put it in my ears, and the coming back to normal when i take it off...

any ideas???

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520, and this problem started after the 8.1 update... when i'm calling or receiving a call, the screen goes black, and then ai have to lock e unlock the phone...

i dont think this is a hardware failure, because sometimes, it work just fine, going black when i put it in my ears, and the coming back to normal when i take it off...

any ideas???
Same thing. It started after 8.1.
Hate it. I got 928

Pooio

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I have an Lumia 800, and recently once a call comes in the screen stays black until the caller hangs up.
Based on the advice here, I took off my protective case, got a drawing pin and scraped the gunk that had gathered in the thin slot where the earpiece speaker is.
I popped open the recharging cover, removed the SIM card, then sucked and blew several times...
Voila - it's working again!
Must have been a dusty sensor... yay internet you win again!

butarra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a Microsoft Lumia 950xl #MicrosoftLumia950xl and it appears that the sensor was blocked by the plastic covering that I had on the phone making te screen go black. SOLUTION: I removed the plastic covering and the screen is ok now.

1520_frustrated

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever resolve this, it's really irritating. Screen goes black as soon as you dial a phone number and only comes back if the other end of the call hang-up or you press the power button - a real pain if you're trying to call voicemail or have speaker conversation. It's not related to dirt / broken sensor or screensaver as the sensor works fine on/off when you're not on a call. It only started happening after 8.1 update.

skynnermcgee

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
My screen started going completely black during active phone calls, almost like the motion sensor is thinking the phone is in a pocket. I had this happen before and it was fixed with an update, but it seems to have started again with the most current updates. Any ideas. I don't want to hard reset my phone if I don't have to, just to find out it won't fix the problem.

I have an Android Turbo and this problem just started happening to me, too. Screen goes completely black, won't let me swipe or back out, and power button only works for a second. My display is set for 30 minutes. I turned my screen saver and security locks off. My proximity sensor is clean as a whistle. I have no other sleep or other display modes turned on. Turned 'privacy' off. Still keeps happening. I was about ready to hurl my phone off a mountain until I saw I'm not the only one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb