N00b question: How to receive Skype calls?

jackypaper

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both own the Lumia 920. We have installed Skype on each handset. We are signed into the app and into our Live accounts. I used her phone and Skyped my phone. Nothing happened. Though her Skype showed my phone to be "ringing," my phone in fact never gave any indication that a call was trying to come in. There was also no notification on the lockscreen, though I enabled that feature on my phone's settings.

I went into the Skype app and looked under its settings, but all I find are toggles to turn on Skype and Messenger messages, both of which are on. I know that I'm missing something. How do I know when someone is Skyping me?

Thanks!

jackypaper

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I checked Background Tasks on the handset. Skype doesn't show up on the list of blocked apps. But neither does it show up as "allowed." When I go into Background Tasks > Advanced, there is a list of grayed-out items that I "may not be able to block," and Skype is on that list. But I can find no option to manually permit it.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Skype works in the back ground, you don't need to do anything. just install, sign in, that's it.

that apparently works on our phones, but not on his, hence he is here asking whether he missed something. I remember I had some issues as well in the past and just reinstalled to get it to work.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually tried this yesterday using my HTC7 Mozart using a secondary Skype account. I haven't signed into Skype on my 920 in ages, yet the call came through perfectly. Are you connected to WiFi or only cellular? If only cellular, maybe your ISP is deliberately blocking Skype calls?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

jackypaper

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm connected to my home's Wi-Fi, and I have LTE cell service.

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I'll keep tinkering and see what happens.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My call is coming in just like a phone call alert.

Is your Skype caller from different platforms? Or WP caller?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Uninstall, and then when you re-install and first login make sure you keep the app open for around 10 minutes to see if that helps the phone register itself correctly against the servers.

(Yes, it sounds odd but that was the advise from the Skype people in their forums)

If that doesn't work then go to the Skype forums. There is a WP thread there where you can give them your details and they'll look into your account not working. I had to do that and it fixed it for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon