Difference between nokia lumia 920 and nokia lumia 920.1 mobily

Nikhilteja

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, my friend bought a phone for me from different country. Actually he thought that it is the actual 920 but when I saw the box it is shown NOKIA LUMIA 920.1 BLACK MOBILY. I thought it is locked phone of mobily. But here all sim networks work fine. Then what's the difference? Please give some clarity regarding this.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure that doesn't mean "1 black mobile" in a different language? You can learn more about the variant if you look at the 'Manufacturer Name' under extras+info.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same phone, dont worry, its a gsm phone.
He bought it from Saudi Arabia, here the LTE frequencies the carrier Mobily use are slightly different from what th 920 supported, so the phone's LTE was locked down when the phone was released.
This was fixed with the amber update, and I enjoy LTE now.

Nikhilteja

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much WNxAshik for your positive reply. I was thinking that this is one of that carrier-locked phones. So are there any differences between them ? If there are not many (or any) then why would one buy mobily's 920 rather than 920?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much WNxAshik for your positive reply. I was thinking that this is one of that carrier-locked phones. So are there any differences between them ? If there are not many (or any) then why would one buy mobily's 920 rather than 920?

Regional cell networks vary and use different frequencies.
All of them are basically 920's.
but there are minute differences in the software and frequency bands supported. for example, my AT&T 920 is modded a bit to be fully compatible with AT&T's network, but if I took it to say, Singapore, it may not be able to pick up LTE or 3G from a carrier there.

at least i think thats how it goes

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Nope, this 920 doesnt lack anything from a normal one. People buy this version as it is the only retail version provided by NOKIA in the country.

@Xandros9 , I think 3g would do fine, and the general LTE bands would too, unless singapore has a custom frequency for lte.

Nikhilteja

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
So, you mean, I can't get LTE from my 920?
And also I'm not able to get H+ while that particular sim when inserted in another model getting H+

Last edited:

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Try for yourself, it should work fine in most countries. Where do you live?
Even if it doesnt support it, then flash the country variant firmware and you are set to go.

Nikhilteja

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Actually the mobile was bought in saudi arabia and it is with me right now (India). After coming to India, I updated that phone to latest firmware (Amber). Before that it used to run old software. And I also noticed that there is no 4g option available in the settings though using a 4g sim. Now I performed Amber update, lets see if 4g works.

Nikhilteja

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Actually my frnd is living in saudi arabia. He bought that phone there and told me that 4g option is not available. Few days back he came to India, here I did the amber update and there is no way to check whether 4g is working or not until he goes back to saudi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos