Nokia Lumia 920 Black update - UKEE

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you look at the situation in the whole of the EU you'll notice that in a lot of places most devices, L920 to L520, have not been updated to Black as of yet. So we're not the only ones. I'm not entirely sure what the hold up is or why it's taking so long but it would appear carriers are dragging their feet with the older devices.

I don't trust EE at all. They had a fallout with Nokia and MS after they botched the launch of the 920. The fact they take forever to release an update is another sure sign that they could care less about WP and especially older WPs.

I'm not trying to sound paranoid but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release WP8.1 or if they do it will be far down the track.

Also, to clarify something that seems to come up. Unlocked just means you can use your phone on any carrier, however your IME is still locked to the carrier so you're stuck waiting for their update cycle. This will be my last carrier phone ever. I refuse to play their stupid little games. I'd rather wait for the price of the unlocked phone that I want to come down a bit and then buy it.

Last edited:

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Actually they released Black for the 1020 and the 925 virtually straight away. I guess if you buy a new phone every 6 months you can get the updates on time. I won't be flashing though, I don't want to lose my town on Total Conquest.

Is the GB CV Version 3051.4000.1349.0007?

Yup.

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Ive flashed mine to the CV version and updated to black nice and easily, should help me continue to get the lastest updates without having to wait for EE to approve, also got it sim unlocked and moved to 3.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If you look at the situation in the whole of the EU you'll notice that in a lot of places most devices, L920 to L520, have not been updated to Black as of yet. So we're not the only ones. I'm not entirely sure what the hold up is or why it's taking so long but it would appear carriers are dragging their feet with the older devices.

I don't trust EE at all. They had a fallout with Nokia and MS after they botched the launch of the 920. The fact they take forever to release an update is another sure sign that they could care less about WP and especially older WPs.

I'm not trying to sound paranoid but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release WP8.1 or if they do it will be far down the track.

Also, to clarify something that seems to come up. Unlocked just means you can use your phone on any carrier, however your IME is still locked to the carrier so you're stuck waiting for their update cycle. This will be my last carrier phone ever. I refuse to play their stupid little games. I'd rather wait for the price of the unlocked phone that I want to come down a bit and then buy it.

Nah mate if you flash with the CV ROM (I just did) then you should in theory get CV updates from then on. By the way if you are desperate to update because you want to see what the camera quality is like. Don't. It's significantly worse than Amber.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Nah mate if you flash with the CV ROM (I just did) then you should in theory get CV updates from then on. By the way if you are desperate to update because you want to see what the camera quality is like. Don't. It's significantly worse than Amber.

So I've heard. I'll wait for the EE update first. I did a complete wipe of my phone using NSU and it fixed the camera issue I was having which was with lights in night time photos. I got streaks and blurs. I want to do the proper update to Black to see if anything goes wrong and then use NSU again if necessary. You can't do that with a ROM as it detects your IME.

I am starting to think that the OS and firmware get buggered by other programs possibly or just over time deteriorate and need a refresh. My phone has been great since the complete refresh.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
well, EE has been known to take their sweet time with releasing updates and support for WP8 devices. Look at how long it took for them to release an EE film app and My EE app for WP8 users. Not to mention the delay in the GDR2 (Lumia Amber) update. Fingers crossed we get it by the end of January. If the WP8.1 update is going to take another century to get to the EE Lumia next time, I'm going to flash the CV GB firmware. The only thing stopping me is the hassle of configuring the start screen and reinstalling all my apps at the moment :\
Same here really. I'm sticking with EE for this update, but if it gets confirmed that WP8.1 will only be issued OTA by carriers, then I'm flashing to the CV firmware. I really don't want to rely on EE pushing down such a large update, it would take them forever to finalize it. I'm just hoping WP8.1 will be available through the Developer method like Update 3 was.

Now listed as "Coming Soon" on the Nokia site... showing some progress at last!
Just seen this as well. It seems it has just changed to 'Coming Soon' within the last 24hours. Shouldn't actually be too long now before we get it. This is actually fairly quick for EE, the Amber one was painfully slow in coming out.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So if you've flashed with a different FW and this one comes available, does it show up as a 'Store' Icon. i.e will a number 1 be displayed on the start screen?
I'd really hate that if it does.
Though I've flashed to an unbranded FW, NUS for retail still shows the Amber ROM as my next upgrade.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
So if you've flashed with a different FW and this one comes available, does it show up as a 'Store' Icon. i.e will a number 1 be displayed on the start screen?
I'd really hate that if it does.
Though I've flashed to an unbranded FW, NUS for retail still shows the Amber ROM as my next upgrade.

No you won't get the old FW's update OTA but you will see it on NSU because it recognises you hardware code.

SoullessOnyx

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting for Black Update on my Lumia 920 on UKEE, hopefully it comes soon, I had the Lumia 625 before and had update black on that phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12