AT&T Update

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
So I was already on GDR3 with the Developer's Program update thing. When I got home from work, my wife said her 920 was acting wonky after the update (which I hadn't even seen the alert for). I updated my phone and my phone was working fine.

My wife's phone updated and appeared to be working fine as it sat at the home screen. Hours after the update, it was still not responding correctly. Trying to launch any app would go to a Loading screen for 15 seconds or so, then fail back to the start screen. When you tried to restart the phone, the "swipe down to power off" screen would hang on the screen and it wouldn't shut off without the Volume Down + Unlock button. I eventually gave up and restored the phone via the Nokia Care Suite and ended up restoring the phone to the image I had on the PC, with I think was Windows Phone 8 RTM, which meant that I spend the rest of the night updating the phone through Portico and GDR2.

This morning, I reinstalled GDR3 again, and it appeared to be acting the exact same way. I was at my wit's end, and ended up putting my wife's SIM card in an 820 with a broken screen I have lying around. I brought her phone into work with me. I forced a phone restart again, and it came up and said that the update had failed. I let it sit untouched on my drive into work, and when I got here, I put my SIM in the phone. It powered up properly, and all of the applications are working properly and the phone appears to healthy and fine. It has GDR3, but it's not running the same OS version as my phone. I'm not sure if it's because I'm on the developer's update track, or if an update got pulled from it. Her's says that there are no more updates, so I will keep an eye on it to see what's going on.

My phone : 8.0.10521.155
Her phone: 8.0.10517.150

edit: A quick search appears that our phones are both updated completely, difference is my phone is on a slightly different update track due to the developer's preview.

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I did the Black update on my 920 last night, but I don't really see a difference. So, what exactly is different now? The only thing I notice is the phone is a little faster, but other than that, I don't really notice any special changes. Does anybody have a list of what changed?

aseferian

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Glance now shows notifications! This addresses a huge shortcoming of the platform. I'm very happy about this. The other great thing is the phantom chirping in the middle of the night while sitting on the wireless charger appears to have stopped. Other than that, I've not noticed anything significant. You can Google the full list of updates, but those are the big two for me.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I did the Black update on my 920 last night, but I don't really see a difference. So, what exactly is different now? The only thing I notice is the phone is a little faster, but other than that, I don't really notice any special changes. Does anybody have a list of what changed?
1. you can customize tones for individual contacts
2. you can lock the screen rotation
3, you can close an app (not sure what its called ) by holding the <- key ope app are on a scroll with an X in the upper right corner to exit i know there is a better name way to describe it, but it escapes me right now...

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You could have custom ringtones for contacts before, but now you can have custom tones for text messages as well, from what I see. And for me it finally fixed my live tiles that have not worked for the last 2 updates. The glance feature is also improved, and it will let you use Nokia Beamer and Storyteller, I believe, though they pulled Storyteller because of some issues, I read.

Paperweight920

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
jmshub's post is a word-for-word account of what I've been enduring for the past 24 hours. I am going to try and retrace your footsteps to see if I can bring my phone back to the point of functionality.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
So I was already on GDR3 with the Developer's Program update thing. When I got home from work, my wife said her 920 was acting wonky after the update (which I hadn't even seen the alert for). I updated my phone and my phone was working fine.

My wife's phone updated and appeared to be working fine as it sat at the home screen. Hours after the update, it was still not responding correctly. Trying to launch any app would go to a Loading screen for 15 seconds or so, then fail back to the start screen. When you tried to restart the phone, the "swipe down to power off" screen would hang on the screen and it wouldn't shut off without the Volume Down + Unlock button. I eventually gave up and restored the phone via the Nokia Care Suite and ended up restoring the phone to the image I had on the PC, with I think was Windows Phone 8 RTM, which meant that I spend the rest of the night updating the phone through Portico and GDR2.

This morning, I reinstalled GDR3 again, and it appeared to be acting the exact same way. I was at my wit's end, and ended up putting my wife's SIM card in an 820 with a broken screen I have lying around. I brought her phone into work with me. I forced a phone restart again, and it came up and said that the update had failed. I let it sit untouched on my drive into work, and when I got here, I put my SIM in the phone. It powered up properly, and all of the applications are working properly and the phone appears to healthy and fine. It has GDR3, but it's not running the same OS version as my phone. I'm not sure if it's because I'm on the developer's update track, or if an update got pulled from it. Her's says that there are no more updates, so I will keep an eye on it to see what's going on.

edit: A quick search appears that our phones are both updated completely, difference is my phone is on a slightly different update track due to the developer's preview.

I was actually coming here to write the same exact thing! I was on dev preview update 3 too. I updated my phone and I got the black update but my OS stayed the same. My wife did not have GDR3 and now we both have the same OS versions as you have posted here. The question is how can I downgrade to the official AT&T update 3 which my wife has for warranty purposes. Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks in advance!!!

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
You could have custom ringtones for contacts before, but now you can have custom tones for text messages as well, from what I see. And for me it finally fixed my live tiles that have not worked for the last 2 updates. The glance feature is also improved, and it will let you use Nokia Beamer and Storyteller, I believe, though they pulled Storyteller because of some issues, I read.
I have this same experience. I am really happy that all of my live tiles are updating properly.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
1. you can customize tones for individual contacts
2. you can lock the screen rotation
3, you can close an app (not sure what its called ) by holding the <- key ope app are on a scroll with an X in the upper right corner to exit i know there is a better name way to describe it, but it escapes me right now...
Not that it matter, but technically these come from Update 3 not from Black. Everybody who did the GDR3 Developer Preview had these way before Black was unleashed.

Paperweight920

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

I flashed my ROM but it hasn't solved the problem. I'm sitting at Amber because I'd rather have a functional phone than an updated one. Any ideas how I can get to that elusive "update failed" screen?

Paperweight920

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I was actually coming here to write the same exact thing! I was on dev preview update 3 too. I updated my phone and I got the black update but my OS stayed the same. My wife did not have GDR3 and now we both have the same OS versions as you have posted here. The question is how can I downgrade to the official AT&T update 3 which my wife has for warranty purposes. Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks in advance!!!

Hey, did you figure this out?

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I can finally change my text message alerts, with custom ringtones. "Who the F^%# is this @$$ho73?!" - Samuel L. Jackson (Coming to America) :D

AbP Slayer

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine is stuck in the gears screen with 1/8th progress for more than an hour now. Any tips?

EDIT: nvm, its done now. Took about 2hrs.

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

The only way you'd be able to do this is to use the Nokia Care Suite to flash your phone back to original software and only update using the approved AT&T update track, and you'll eventually land on the same software version as your wife's phone.

I flashed my ROM but it hasn't solved the problem. I'm sitting at Amber because I'd rather have a functional phone than an updated one. Any ideas how I can get to that elusive "update failed" screen?

I can't say I did anything special. If you have the time, I'd try installing GDR3 again. The only real risk is the time in re-flashing it back to factory, and again updating it through GDR2.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo