920 is not future proof according to my local CEX store

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 shares the same specs as a few Windows Phones released after it such as the 925 and I believe 928. It may be an older phone but it's more future proof than my 520 and I have 8.1 installed on that and am going to be using it for a while.

All this statement does is point out how bad Microsoft/Nokia was at getting new hardware into new devices. Yeah, the 925 and 928 are newer devices running the 920 hardware, but that's not a statement to defend the 920 with. Instead, it's a statement of condemnation of the SoC selection for the 925 and 928, given that they launched probably a year or so after their SoC did--it came in the Galaxy S III. Those devices were basically put out so there coudl be SOMETHING in the 92x line on Verizon and T-Mobile, and they were underpowered when compared against the competition the moment they released.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Please read this again. You guys (and I'm guessing you are guys) really need to think before you post.

"920 is not future proof according to my local CEX store" That's what the title of the thread states. And from my personal experience from using wp8.1 on a Nokia Lumia 920, that is false.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
"920 is not future proof according to my local CEX store" That's what the title of the thread states. And from my personal experience from using wp8.1 on a Nokia Lumia 920, that is false.

I wasn't referring to that part of your post. I was concerned about the part where you appeared to want him to "fall on his sword" (to quote from your post number 45). Please think about that.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
'Future-proof' is extremely subjective a saying, especially in the mobile market where people jump at the slightest opportunity to say a device is useless because of marginal specification differences.

That said, that CEX guy is laughably misinformed if he thinks that you need a quad-core processor to run Windows Phone 8.1. =P

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Have you ever seen a psychologist?

Also, I expect there will be future versions of WP beyond 8.1. Unless you know differently, of course.

hold on hold on! before saying something.....he gave his opinion but he didn't give a reason as to why it's not future proof....there will be updates in the future....and in my opinion we will have future updates for all the phones and L920 is not a 512MB RAM (they work just as well) device that it will get outdated in the future! I use a L920 and it's perfect right now....and I hope it will be in the future...so before asking me whether I've ever seen a psychologist which had no relation to whatever I said....maybe you got it wrong! I said "duct tape his mouth" I never said that I'm gonna duct tape his mouth and kidnap him or whatever.....it was a metaphor....I meant the CEX guy should STFU! oh wait I'm being offensive -_- he should just keep quiet and sit in a corner!
most of the people you're pointing out here...we don't mean it literally you should have that much sense! we're not criminal minded

Kazashimo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Please read this again. You guys (and I'm guessing you are guys) really need to think before you post.

I got a better idea. Why don't you think before insinuating that someone is crazy who is clearly not. If you can't be friendly, and you go around telling people they need help or should see a doctor because they are posting their opinions on a forum then you seriously need help. Think about what you've been posting, then come back and apologize, and then maybe people will take you seriously.

You owe someone an apology.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I got a better idea. Why don't you think before insinuating that someone is crazy who is clearly not. If you can't be friendly, and you go around telling people they need help or should see a doctor because they are posting their opinions on a forum then you seriously need help. Think about what you've been posting, then come back and apologize, and then maybe people will take you seriously.

You owe someone an apology.

I've been around the internet long enough to know that trolls will be trolls. The thing is, they actually think people value their opinions. Isn't that sad.

On aside note, my original post was meant to be more harsh towards these freaks who work in stores selling phones but I decided a while back that I should be so harsh.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
ah this guy from CEX is a clown. I don't think he knows what hes talking about. hey op don't listen to this guy. you're better off asking questions here

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
920 has been released on September 2012 and I bought mine on September 2013. If you are NOT a HEAVY GAMER then grab a 920 as long as there is a good deal, but I would highly recommend you to buy a Quad Core Windows Phone with 3,000 mah battery which is 1520 for better future proof.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Depends what you mean by future proof. The 920 runs 8.1 fine and will continue to be updated, but its no longer state of the art.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Depends what you mean by future proof. The 920 runs 8.1 fine and will continue to be updated, but its no longer state of the art.

But yet, they sell brand new phones with less specs. My only problem is now that my 920 is getting old, the battery isn't as good as it was. But I could see a brand new 920 lasting a good 1.5-2 years just fine with no problems. My 920 currently runs 8.1 with no issues. All apps can install and run on it. I'm currently doing everything from Halo to video editing and everything in-between just fine. I'm going to try to make my phone last till at least this fall.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The 920 is just a solid, solid device. Sure I wish it has more memory, but given just how well it ran Windows Phone 8 and that it can run Windows Phone 8.1 to the best of its capabilities (at least, as good as Microsoft had written the software), I see no reason it wouldn't last at minimum a year if not longer. But if it's used, you might not get as much mileage out of it battery wise. That's the only thing I would worry about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs