Lumia 920 freezing on charging plate -bug with 8.1 dev preview?!

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
So, the last two mornings my 920, which I have owned since new in october 2012 has suddenly 'frozen' when sitting on its wireless pad at my bedside. The alarm is set and does go off when I need it to, but for some reason after hitting snooze a couple of times (i typically do this every morning..) I find that the 920 has frozen completely on the glance or home screen screen requiring a SOFT reset.. i find it peculiar that this has occurred at the exact same point over 24hrs! I'm just waiting to see if this happens tomorrow am. The freezing occurs when I lift the handset away from the charging plate after a few seconds (as you would do normally)

I have never had any issues with the charging plate but I've noticed a few buggy aspects of the UI having installed 8.1DP in recent weeks- something that im okay with as this is a preview without the firmware of course. All recent updates have been applied.

Any thoughts on this? I REALLY don't what to have to soft reset my phone every morning, reset the time and date etc...

help!

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That seems really odd. I keep mine on a charging pillow, and I've never had that freezing happen. Mine has had 8.1 Preview since the first day it was available.

Are you using Glance or not? I use Glance on mine.

Are you using Quiet Hours or not? I use Quiet Hours on mine.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That seems really odd. I keep mine on a charging pillow, and I've never had that freezing happen. Mine has had 8.1 Preview since the first day it was available.

Are you using Glance or not? I use Glance on mine.

Are you using Quiet Hours or not? I use Quiet Hours on mine.

Yep, to elaborate a bit: I am indeed using glance, had no problems with glance and I am using quiet hours. The quiet hours element has reminded me that the time I have set to end quiet hours is 7.30am so that would correlate with the times this morning and yesterday that this problem occurred... The device was frozen at approx 7.35am....

Also, curiously after soft resetting I have noticed my charging 'chirp' whether pad or charger no longer occurs.. AND nor does the close screen click that happens when locking/opening the lock screen. Totally puzzling!! All other features seem to be working just fine, including notifications etc.

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I having the exact same problems you are having as i type this. it sucks because i really need to reply to a text. Guess ill do a soft reset in a little bit but I hope this doesnt happen again, I dont want to have to disabble glance screen

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I having the exact same problems you are having as i type this. it sucks because i really need to reply to a text. Guess ill do a soft reset in a little bit but I hope this doesnt happen again, I dont want to have to disabble glance screen

Interesting. I found that this morning, the alarm worked as normal but there was indeed a brief period of 'freezing' on the home screen- I could scroll but not tap any icon... but after a few seconds, the phone came back to life. A soft reset was not required. I had noticed too that the clock hub tile app was also stuck at a time 2hours earlier (although that app is indeed very buggy imo)

I read yesterday that there had been some back end changes to Cortana that had been pushed to users and it made me wonder if any update/changes that MS had pushed had maybe had an impact on 'quiet hours'
or any other background processes- it's a long shot but given how much Cortana is woven into the is OS now, it could explain things... maybe?
I'll keep evaluating the performance though. So weird that this should just happen!

R0b3rtS

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem with my 1520.
Charging on a plate, when i pick it up and tab to awake the unlock screen appears and then the phone totally freezes.

The time on my glance screen is the exact time, but the time on my lock screen is hours back...

Only a reset (vol down + power) get my phone back to work again...

Using glance and glimp, i am outside us area so no cortana and her settings such as silent hours.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I am using glance on my L920 and have it set to quiet hours and it's sitting on the charger overnight. My screen is set to go idle after 5min. Everything works as advertised and I've hit snooze more than once in the morning when the alarm rings. No freezing or time differences between glance and start screen time. Running 8.1 dev preview here.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I am using glance on my L920 and have it set to quiet hours and it's sitting on the charger overnight. My screen is set to go idle after 5min. Everything works as advertised and I've hit snooze more than once in the morning when the alarm rings. No freezing or time differences between glance and start screen time. Running 8.1 dev preview here.

Glad to hear you're not having the same issues as me.

I was curious after last night's minor 8.1 Dev preview update if there was any improvement but not as such. the phone is still seemingly opperating as i described originally although, the 'freeze' has occasionally corrected itself with the phone resuming after 20/30seconds flickering though several screens/loaded apps. Haven't had to soft reset recently though. Also, i'm not seeing this behavior on a wired charger. Might have to roll back and check if any apps i have installed on or around that date it started have caused something to bork...

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a freeze while USB charging my 1020 for the first time in weeks. This was on the glance screen night mode, during quiet hours on the day of the second preview update.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Having the same problem with my 1520.
Charging on a plate, when i pick it up and tab to awake the unlock screen appears and then the phone totally freezes.

The time on my glance screen is the exact time, but the time on my lock screen is hours back...

Only a reset (vol down + power) get my phone back to work again...

Using glance and glimp, i am outside us area so no cortana and her settings such as silent hours.

Thanks for this. Seems to suggest this isn't Cortana/quiet hours related. I'm suspecting its a firmware issue with the charging plate. Are you still seeing the problem on your 1520 RobertS?

R0b3rtS

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this. Seems to suggest this isn't Cortana/quiet hours related. I'm suspecting its a firmware issue with the charging plate. Are you still seeing the problem on your 1520 RobertS?

Yes updated yesterday to last version and charged last night again using my charging plate, this morning tel was working when i took it off the plate.
But as soon as i opened the first app it immidiatly freezed and crashed, needed to reset to start it again.

So problem is not solved for me...

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
In my case it isn't the charging plate or glance. I have a 1020 and it's been doing this for months. It recently became worse after yesterday's preview update. The reason why I say its not the charging plate or glance is because I have neither of those. After the newest update mine also freezes when you swipe up to the password screen. Also, when I woke up today it was unresponsive. I had to volume down/power button. The sad thing is that the OS version before this newest one was really stable. I got lock ups only a couple times,lol.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
In my case it isn't the charging plate or glance. I have a 1020 and it's been doing this for months. It recently became worse after yesterday's preview update. The reason why I say its not the charging plate or glance is because I have neither of those. After the newest update mine also freezes when you swipe up to the password screen. Also, when I woke up today it was unresponsive. I had to volume down/power button. The sad thing is that the OS version before this newest one was really stable. I got lock ups only a couple times,lol.

hmm curious... I agree, the initial WP8.1 dev preview (before the recently released incremental updates) gave me no real issues either, save for the ocassional sluggishness. Yesterdays update has in fact made my 920 quite alot speedier in terms of app opening/task switching but this freezing/locking issue is clearly a deeper instability issue. At least it may not be the charging plate, but i haven't noticed any issue with any (short duration) wired cable charge. I will try an overnight charge on the cable this eve and see if the phone still craps out in the morning... other suggest, like you, that it will still be a problem! freaking annoying!

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have done almost every suggestion except for sending it in for a repair and using the Nokia recovery tool. There is another thread ( lumia 1020 forum ) where at least one person sent his phone in for repair and another has used the recovery tool with no results. I just want to know the cause of it, because not everybody is having this issue. Another thread suggest something to do with memory. Maybe I have bad memory or hd... who knows? Sh*t sucks.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
aye, things like this cropping up literally overnight really screw with us! like, i said i feel its some firmware bug, and with so many variations via the carrier regions (if i understand firmware correctly..) its perhaps not surprising that as the OS advances on older firmware, these things develop….maybe? For the record I'm on EE in the UK. I can supply my specific device fw info if anyone is curious.

UPDATE: i checked which apps, if any i had installed/updated on or around 27/5/14 when this problem first occurred and identified 'Clock Hub' as being one on that day (its version in the store is listed as being updated 5/26) that had indeed updated. As a trial, i have uninstalled that app completely and will see, with everything else normal, what happens overnight… not a slam dunk but hey.. could be that..? Clock Hub has been v buggy for me from the get go. If it turns out something is related to it then its a shame-I liked how it looked!

UPDATE 2: this morning, 4/6/14, the phone had NO freeze or sluggishness after removing 'Clock Hub' from my apps completely the night before. As I mentioned above, I suspected it might be an app issue -this one app particular is V buggy- and its ability to update by the minute. Its possible that this app's performance, has caused this behaviour, particularly as it had been updated on 27/5 which was when this freezing started. Hope this continues to be stable!!

Last edited:

R0b3rtS

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I confirm this...

I alsa had installed clock hub, i removed this app from my phone and today i had no problems.
This morning my phone worked normally after i removed it from the charging plate, this was the first time in 3 days i had no problems :)
Hope this keeps this way, but until now no problems detected anymore after removing the clock hub.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So... NOT a bug in the 8.1 preview then??

Seems every time there is a problem, everyone blames the OS!!!!!

Happy you got it sorted though......

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the clock hub app, but I just had my third freeze with my 1020 dev preview on the charger, at 11.28pm, 'daytime mode' (not quiet hours). This is really a bad bug, because it might allow me to blissfully sleep in (aka cause me to be late for work).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12