Bought a new 920. Getting weird flicker in Glance and sometimes lock screen. Is my screen defective?

Feranor

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Here's a video showing the phenomenon:

I've had someone suggest this might mean the digitizer is about to break? I could try to return it since I just bought it the other day, but I'd like to confirm that this is indeed a hardware issue and not some software glitch, if that's even possible to do...

Any ideas?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not expected behaviour.

The digitizer sits on top of the actual LCD and detects touch inputs. It has nothing to do with the display.

Does the problem only happen sometimes when you unlock the device? Try taking a screenshot in this condition. If the screenshot is also messed up, the problem would be with the GPU/drivers, otherwise its the LCD.

What firmware are you on? Try a factory reset or a firmware update if it is available. If returning it is no bother, do it and be safe rather than sorry.

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My newly bought 920 has this problem too! Not only on the glance screen but even while I am using the phone.. Makes the phone totally unusable. What is the problem?

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
from my knowledge it's most likely the display not having a good connection with the logic board. try applying a little bit of force at the bottom right corner of your phone (near the capacitive "search" key), see if it helps (that's where the display connector is). I had a ThinkPad T400 where the display flickered in a similar fashion, turns out it was because the connector to the LCD panel came loose, so only some of the contacts where actually connected. BUT it can also be the display or the logic board.
if you can exchange your phone it would be the best.

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I got a replacement! Everything now works perfectly, I feel like I have owned one of the most beautiful thing anyone could ever own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss