920 restarts on its own every other day

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For a few weeks now I've noticed that my 920 is randomly restarting on its own every other day or so. It's getting annoying, especially when it does it while I'm in the middle of something.

Has anyone else experienced this? I could try resetting it back to factory settings, but I keep hoping the Cyan update will come out soon for general release. It's almost 2 years old, so I'm thinking it's probably just old, but I wanted to check with the community before even doing a reset.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
For a few weeks now I've noticed that my 920 is randomly restarting on its own every other day or so. It's getting annoying, especially when it does it while I'm in the middle of something.

Has anyone else experienced this? I could try resetting it back to factory settings, but I keep hoping the Cyan update will come out soon for general release. It's almost 2 years old, so I'm thinking it's probably just old, but I wanted to check with the community before even doing a reset.

Tried a soft reset?

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Tried a soft reset?

Oh, I've been forced to do that a few times too. This is why I have been debating whether to do a hard reset, but it's so time consuming, might be worth waiting for the update. Mostly curious if anyone else has experienced this.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I've been forced to do that a few times too. This is why I have been debating whether to do a hard reset, but it's so time consuming, might be worth waiting for the update. Mostly curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Hi there sorry for the late reply.
so far ive not had a restarting issue with both the 920 and 520. I did however do a soft reset on the 520 once.

as of the 920 I did a hard reset using the nokia software recovery tool. works like a charm now.
Im not sure when the 8.1 cyan update will come. im waiting too.
but if you would like to wait then there would be no problem.
However if the problem persist with cyan too I recommend that you do it with the Nokia software recovery tool.

Personally I would do it right now. rather have it solved now. make sure that you back up and take all your precious files away.

Hard reset Deletes ALL FILES

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think I'll do a hard reset when I get some extra time. This has become more frustrating as it's rebooting every day now :-/

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So I did a hard reset and no change. It still reboots once a day :cry:
I'm thinking all I have left is getting a new phone in November when I'm up for an upgrade, but after this morning's announcements, I have low hopes on finding a good successor to my 920 :crying:

NSH

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping for Cyan as well before doing a hard reset, but I couldn't take it anymore. It's almost as if it's purposely doing this to make me get a new phone.
I wish they would have released the McLaren after all. Ugh.

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
try thinking back to the apps you may have installed recently or are using more of an app that you probably were not using prior. suspect a memory leak.

NSH

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I have performed a hard reset multiple times and removed any of the additional 'bloatware' from AT&T. It is not from an app.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Since hard reset dint work. You might want to try using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. Download it and install on PC - just follow the on screen instructions. The phone should now work properly. Might want to give it a few tries. If orientation and auto screen brightness isnt working properly try giving it some time or use a torch light in a dark room to re-calibrate auto screen brightness. Hope this works. If it doesnt then im sorry to say it might be hardware related.

As Titaniumgiant suggested it might also be related to apps.

NSH

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Sadly. My phone continues to restart, multiple times per hour. I am waiting to see if any new phones will be released soon, but I may just buy a used phone and hold out until next year.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Have all of you installed the newest update that specifically addresses that issue? If not head over to settings - phone update and check for update.
* pls have about 80 % battery before installing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos