Battery woes

garak112

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Last Thursday my phone threw up an 'invalid SIM' error, it tends to do this every now and then and can usually be cured with a reset. On this occasion I reset it 5 times in a row and in the end carried out a soft reset, which cured the problem. It was after this that the battery troubles began.

I noticed later in the day that my battery had discharged really quickly, down to 20% after 4 hours of no use at all. I turned it off and on again and the meter jumped to about 85%. Another 3 hours pass and it had dropped to 35% so I plugged it in. An hour later I checked the phone and the battery was showing 20% despite having been on AC for an hour. I turned it off and on again and the power jumped to 80%.

I carried out a soft reset before bed that night and left it charging. The next day the same thing happened with the battery showing massive discharge really quickly. At one stage it turned itself off, I turned it back on and the battery was back to 50%. At the end of the day it turned itself off again with the battery showing 20%, I tried to turn it back on this time but the phone was unresponsive, when I plugged it in to the AC I got a battery symbol with a question mark in it, after a couple of hours it started back up.

Saturday I bit the bullet and carried out a hard reset (allowing me to overcome the developer update issue and get to cyan) hoping this would cure the issue. Still nothing. The phone discharges quickly and the meter shows no increase in battery even when left charging regardless of resets.

2 questions - is there anything else I can try and is it safe to leave it plugged in on AC if the battery meter isn't increasing (i.e. will the phone overcharge the battery if it thinks it isn't full?)?

garak112

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Well I was planning to live with it until my upgrade was due (early November will be my two year anniversary of getting to phone so can upgrade then) but last night the phone got red hot in the charging port area and I was worried it would catch fire. After that it would only charge wirelessly but with the issues mentioned above.

I took the plunge and sent it off for a warranty repair and am using my Omnia 7 in the meantime, although WP7 looks the same its a massive step back.

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
sounds like a battery issue. not the phone. If I were you..i would let it drain out completely..i mean..completely and charge back up and see what happens. if that doesn't do it, then short the battery and charge again from scratch. By short I mean, pull the casing off, pull the battery out, take two pins, touch the contact points, while touching them, touch each other and short it out completely, then put it back in, put it back on the charger and see whwat happens. I had a similar issue with my moms HTC radar and I had to do the same thing and once I did that, it was back to normal.

garak112

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Right so I jumped through all the hoops on the nokia website to get them to collect it for a repair. Firstly they sent the courier to the wrong address so I had to collect the label and drop it off at a collection point. I got the phone back a week later with the online log saying the charging port had been replaced.

Plugged the phone in and left it. Came back a couple of hours later, problem not fixed. I emailed Nokia to discover that you can't talk to the repair people, you can only complain to a complaints department that is unable to do anything. What sort of bizarre arrangement is this? They apologised and advised me to send it back and they would definitely fix it because they would know that they hadn't done before.

I arranged to send it off again. It came back a week later but this time there was nothing on the online log except a note saying that it had been repaired. Again I plugged it in and again it was not repaired. I emailed Nokia again and they can't help at all, they advised I take it to a care point (of which there are none near me at all).

Totally ridiculous service and I won't be getting another one of these. Luckily I am not too far from being able to get a new phone on contract so I can switch to something else. At least if I get an iphone I can get it repaired without this much hassle.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I sent my L920 in about two weeks ago (bought the phone new end of July), they never did fix my issue...I am going to send it back in...pretty annoying

garak112

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I forgot the most annoying thing - I had put a screen protector on about 3 weeks before sending it in (Skinomi Techskin) and the second time I sent it back they pulled it off and couldn't explain why. It's a bit like they are taking the mickey.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes