8.1 post update Bluetooth issues in the car

BigA

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Since updating my 920 to 8.1 the Bluetooth features in the car have not worked as they did before. I have a 2013 Subaru Impreza (non-navigation) and before I could play music and take a receive calls etc using voice. Now I can no longer play music via Bluetooth. When the phone pairs and I go into Bluetooth settings on my phone it only says 'connected voice' is active, not music.

Also when I launch Cortana on my phone and use voice, it isn't picked up over the car's system. Or If I want to compose a text using voice, it doesn't let me. Again, this was something that used to work on 8.0.

the odd thing is I deleted the phone in my car headunit and then re-paired it and it all worked. The features in the Bluetooth settings showed up as 'connected voice' and 'music'. But then the next time I started the car and the phone automatically paired it was back down to only 'connected voice'.

Anyone else having similar Bluetooth car issues after their upgrade to 8.1 and any ideas on how to fix it?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Not to the extent you are. I have a 928 and I can't download my address book to my 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid with Nav package. It seems to work the best with the Ford line and their "Sync" products.
I can stream audio and make phone calls just fine. I did have to check on "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech" though.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
had issues with every lumia on my alpine based system (non lumias worked fine).... I couldn't get my phonebook transferred nor was voice even remotely decent (was told i sound like a blasted helicopter) Cyan helped with the sound, but in the end, i took a chance and updated my bluetooth module in the car with the firmware from the EU variant. All issues gone.

Now this may not offer a solution, but shows that all bluetooth devices should work the same, since it's been around forever and should "Just Work" by now.

androsooner

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I have also had numerous Bluetooth connectivity issues (Lumia 920 8.1 Cyan) in my Subaru XV. If I am lucky enough to get it to connect, then it will typically disconnect on it's own after 3 or 4 minutes. Once it reconnects a second time, it's usually fine after that. Bluetooth used to work great with my Lumia 900 and with my 920 on 8.0.

BigA

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
After fiddling around with it some more in the car I did get it to work consistently by turning on and then off the Bluetooth on my phone via the notification panel when the car was on and the phone had already paired. When I did that, the music profile showed up as well as the connected voice and I could play music via Bluetooth. So until they fix this I guess I'll have to use this work around.

Either way it interesting it seems I am not the only one with Bluetooth issues after updating to Cyan.

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Cyan installed itself on my Lumia 920 last Friday, and I've had all sorts of problems since then. One of them is that every time I get in the car now, (2012 Ford Taurus SHO with Sync, pre My Ford Touch), it announces "phone disconnected". I then have to go into Bluetooth on the phone, and tap on the Sync line, which shows "Paired". It then connects, and I can use the phone over Bluetooth.

Other problems include:
- half the texts I received showed "Media Content in this Message", even if they didn't, but the content and the text would never download. I had to go in and change the MMS settings which seems to have fixed it.
- I could receive calls, and make calls to where the person at the other end could hear me, but I would never hear a ring tone, or voices at the other end. This applied to just the phone and over Bluetooth. This seems to have cleared up too.
- my Beats Music won't connect, but I can't close it either
- my battery life is less than half of what it was. I used to get at least 24hrs out of a full charge, now it's closer to 12hrs

If Microsoft wants to be taken as a serious competitor to Google and Apple in the mobile phone space, they can't push out half baked OS versions that reduce the usability of the phone. Since this is a 920 that I got in the first week or so that they came out, mine's up for replacement soon, and I don't know if I can stay with Windows because of this kind of thing.

Is it the automatic sign on to Wifi that's killing my battery?

Simon Hvala

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Also have issues in a car with Lumia 920 Cyan update and Nokia CK-100 car kit. Before the update everything worked fine, after update the phone has problem connecting to car kit. It takes at least two attempts for a phone to connect, sometimes even 5 times. On rare occasions it connects after first attempt. After it's connected it works fine.
I deleted the bluetooth connections and paired the devices again. I made a hard reset of the phone. The CK-100 car kit is functioning properly as my other Android device connects flawlessly.
Bluetooth is backward compatible by design, so it must be poor software update implementation. And it's not the first time; Black update also caused some older BT hardware incompatibility (Nokia CK-7W car kit for example). There must be drawn a line of course, you could not expect a newer device to work with all ancient hardware, but it is not serious to expect users to update or change the devices after each phone software update. Buletooth connection is basic function of the phone, like voice calls for example. If it's not working, it's a good reason to change a phone. Which is a shame, as Lumia 920 is otherwise a good phone.

haberll

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Since 8.1 Cyan, 1) my music will not resume playing after I have received a Text or phone call. I have to hit the volume button, click pause and then play again to get the music to play again. 2) If I have my bluetooth connected, I can't talk text using the microphone on text messages. Just waiting for 2nd updates to OS and firmware to see if the problem is corrected. And, another thing I have heard is that Lumia 920 will not receive the "Hey Cortana" wake up feature because it does not have the Sensorcore that is indeed a requirement (and the only requirement) for the new feature to work. If MS does not put the Sensorcore on the 920, I will be switching to Android.

Frost828

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Big A is describing the exact same issue that I am having. I just did a hard reset on my phone and then did all the updates so now I have Lumia Denim on my Nokia Lumia Icon. My car bluetooth capabilities have been reduced to only 'connected voice' after the update.

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Since 8.1 Cyan, 1) my music will not resume playing after I have received a Text or phone call. I have to hit the volume button, click pause and then play again to get the music to play again. 2) If I have my bluetooth connected, I can't talk text using the microphone on text messages. Just waiting for 2nd updates to OS and firmware to see if the problem is corrected. And, another thing I have heard is that Lumia 920 will not receive the "Hey Cortana" wake up feature because it does not have the Sensorcore that is indeed a requirement (and the only requirement) for the new feature to work. If MS does not put the Sensorcore on the 920, I will be switching to Android.

Unfortunately Haberll, if you still read these messages, the 920 is unable to get "Hey Cortana" because yes, the Sensorcore is not on our phone, but that's also because our processor chip isn't powerful enough. To remedy Sensorcore, it uses a specific core on the new Qualcomm chipsets that are being shipped. You would have to put a whole new processor chip into the 920 for it to work.

And it seems I am the only person who has no issues with Bluetooth using WP 8.1 Denim (with Developer Preview enabled). I think it would help if everyone also listed what vehicle they are referring to and what entertainment/radio they have. I have a 2011 Ford Fusion with MS Sync.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss