Options for delayed 920 upgrade

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I agree. I'm also trying to hang on to a grandfathered unlimited data plan so that complicates things further. With these old-fashioned plans any month that you spend out of contract not using your subsidy on a new phone is month that you are giving AT&T free money that they don't deserve. IF I didn't have unlimited data I'd consider your idea of moving to a MVNO or look at AT&T mobile share plans. However, as things stand I'll get an iPhone 6 next month when my current Lumina 920 contract expires. I'll take another look at Windows phones sometime next year once a Windows 10 Flagship is released. If I see something I really like then I'll just buy it out of contract.

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I was in the same boat. I just decided to get to used 1520 off ebay to hold me over until the Windows 10 phones show up.

But that option still leaves you paying the contract "I'm subsidizing a phone rate." If a Windows 10 phone comes out quickly, maybe you won't be paying it long and it will almost certainly be cheaper than using the subsidy now and buying a W10 phone later at full price. BUT, even if it is a bit cutting off my nose to spite my face I'm not going to give AT&T that money for free. I'll use my subsidy option as soon as it is available next month.

Last edited:

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Another reasonable option if you want to stay with AT&T is to put together a mobile share package. My mom and sister joined my account and now I get 10GB of shared data with my L920 (split three ways, that's over 3GB per person) for slightly over $50/month (including taxes).

Is that cost for data alone, all three plans, or each individual pays?

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got my 1520 as a temporary upgrade until they finally come out with a new flagship. So far, this thing is awesome.

Duncan Edwards

May 29, 2014
Visit site
In the UK we have sim only contracts that are 30days or 12months long. 12 months are a bit cheaper per month. These are good for this exact situation you happy with you phone or waiting for a new flagship. Just get a sim only deal and pop it in you existing phone. Depends if your phone is unlocked or not but all our carries offer sim only contracts.

Guessing you guys over the pond don't have these

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
You can buy RM-985 830's (unlocked) on eBay and that will get you LTE in USA.

You can use your RM-985 device on the LTE 700* (17*), 850 (5), 1700 (4*), 1900 (2), 2600 (7); WCDMA 850, 900, 1900, 2100; and GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz networks.

* T Mobile's LTE bands

I'm looking at these, am I correct in understanding that these are functional 'prototype' units at this point and that they will get final firmware updates later on?

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
From what I read in previous posts, yes they have "Debian Red" installed and for the most part are fully functional phones albeit Glance not working properly. However it is said that those devices will function properly when Denim is released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss