920 Owners: Upgrade 1520 or 830?

xxfuzzyxx

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Just upgraded to the 1520 from the 920 a couple weeks ago. I'll never look back. Just hope ms makes a successor with a 6" screen cause I can't go back now.

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
^^^I did this 6 months ago. I too will never look back. I'm a big next thing kind of guy but I don't think I'm ever leaving this phone. Maybe if its not Windows 11 compatible. Love my 1520.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly, my 920 is still running like a dream, especially after I did a hard reset to fix the 8.1 developer preview glitches. Hence, I probably will hold out until Windows 10 devices are unveiled. If I did upgrade, I'd go with the 1520 over the 830. There's a ton to like about the 1520 and it would be especially nice for people like me with big hands and big feet!

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Easy. Just ask yourself which one will get "Hey Cortana". It aint the 830.
Yeah, thought about that, and then realized it'll be six months before they announce that and eighteen months before I can actually get the update/ phone... Taking my chances for now and if they surprise me there's always eBay and another upgrade :)
(Loving my L830... Limitations and all)

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Neither. The 1520 is a monster and the 830 is a more of a side-grade than a true upgrade over the 920. So in other words... wait for something better.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Out of these two choices, I couldn't vote L830. It isn't an "upgrade" over the L920. The L920 was a Hero device. The L830 just plain is not. Over time, the limitations of the top end mid-grade device it is will show for those of us Windows Phone users that like all the bells, whistles, games, tools, and apps we can stuff into a device. There is no doubt right now it is an improvement over the 2 and half year old L920, but it is not an upgrade. I would have ZERO problem recommending the L830 (pending reviews and real life experiences, of course) for the average WP or smartphone user. But no way for those ready for a true upgrade.

No doubt- the Green L1520 with WP 8.1 monster would be what I suggest. I would always recommend a device with the latest software installed than one where you would need to update it. Updates always seem to have a few glitches.

By the way, I am no HTC fan, but that M8 for Windows looks better and better as time goes on. For anyone like me who is not a photo nut, that seems to be by far the best overall option if you are looking for a Hero device. I still believe with Nokia no in Microsoft's umbrella, the software exclusives that helped set Nokia apart will melt away. MS simply needs other OEMs to be successful, so I think other manufacturers devices will be better supported.

I think I would still grab the L1520 myself if I had to choose.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the 1520 and she loves it and i will admit it is a very nice phone, But it is just to big for what I need and the 830 would be a down grade to my 920, I really think I will be getting the M8 when it comes to AT&T next month, I know it is almost a year old but it still has better spec's over anything Microsoft has coming out and those front facing speakers are really great.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you can live with the size of the 1520, then get that one.

Don't worry about the "social stigma". That went away the moment Apple released the iBend 6 Plus.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have the 1520 for almost a year now. I bought it last December on greymarket when the 1520 isn't still official in our country, and I am lucky to have a non-defective unit.

I am more than satisfied with it. Despite its size, I drop it very less frequently compared to my other smaller phone, the Xiaomi Mi 3. Even most of my friends are marvelled with its beauty.

Performance-wise and camera-wise, it still fares well compared to other new WP releases, which is why I am not itching for an upgrade. I felt like I made a very good investment with it!

It still has a very dependable battery life, even though the Messenger app sucks a lot of juice.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
the screen is the lone compromise - very nice, love the size and the way the thinner bezels make the phone same width as L920, just a little worse viewing angles - you'll notice that if you put them together, but not in your daily use.

The 830 actually has worse viewing angles than the 920? That's pretty sad for a 2014 device. One of the reasons I prefer using my 820 over the 920 is the wide viewing angles and deep blacks. The 920 is a lot sharper but the viewing angles totally kill the screen if you're not looking at it straight on. They really dropped the ball on the 830s screen.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234