920 Owners: Upgrade 1520 or 830?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It has been almost 2 years since the 920 comes out and it's been running great and being extremely durable and resilient. It's just that I'm getting tired of using the same device, itching for upgrade, and tired of the lag from WP8.1 (yes frequent home screen return animation lag, resuming/loading, etc.)

So I'm looking to upgrade to either the 830 or the 1520.
Both of these are estimated to cost around $400 for 1520.3 and 830 off contract.
The 1520 has EVERYTHING that one could wants from a WP with the promise of future upgrades with even more features. The only issue is the inconvenience and social stigma of having a large phone, weight.
The 830 is nicely colored, thin, metallic, but I have a huge issue with upgrading to a phone that performs worse. Snapdragon 400 with quad-core cortex A9 is terrible. A9 is extremely old, it's Apple A5 era and it's slow. Graphics is also worse, and only 1 GB RAM which may limit it's future-proof.
What would you get?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It has been almost 2 years since the 920 comes out and it's been running great and being extremely durable and resilient. It's just that I'm getting tired of using the same device, itching for upgrade, and tired of the lag from WP8.1 (yes frequent home screen return animation lag, resuming/loading, etc.)

So I'm looking to upgrade to either the 830 or the 1520.
Both of these are estimated to cost around $400 for 1520.3 and 830 off contract.
The 1520 has EVERYTHING that one could wants from a WP with the promise of future upgrades with even more features. The only issue is the inconvenience and social stigma of having a large phone ...

Are you kidding me, if you want a big phone, you get a big phone (turn in your man card)

In case you haven't checked the news, Apple released a large phone & sold quite a few units.

I believe large phones are IN, the social stigma (??) you reference is (officially) gone.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
If I were to switch to a newer phone right now it would be a 1520, I really like the bigger screen and SD card slot but would miss wireless charging.

I have not had any lagging on my 920 running anything, period. And my battery life has increased dramatically since I can turn off automatic app updating from the Store and manually one or twice a day check for updates on the Store site

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^1520.3 has wireless charging :D
How about the HTC M8 for Windows?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
LOLwut worthless 4 MP camera. I need high MP because I take pictures of documents a lot so I need the details.
Also, on screen buttons and no camera button are deal breakers.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 (though I usually use my 925), but if I were to upgrade between the 1520 or 830, I'd go for the 830. It's perfect for what I would need in a phone. The 1520 is nice, but waaaaaayyy too huge for little me. :winktongue:

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely go for the 830. It's the perfect size, and has everything you could ever need in a Windows Phone. And that performance you're talking about has already been disproved by Windows Central.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I would go for the 1520. I like the large screen. Just posted some with one last weekend and I loved it. Also like that it has an ad card slot.i prefer large screen phones.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded my 920 for a 1520. I have big hands, so I have no problem with handling this beast, and I really don't care about what people have to say about its size. It actually attracts attention when I use it. I believe other than the size objection, the 1520 is the best Windows phone on the market. To side-grade to a 830, in my opinion, would be a waste of an upgrade. Too bad At&t or any other carrier besides abandoning-a** Verizon doesn't have the 930/Icon though...

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I also agree that the "stigma" is gone. In fact, the industry continues to push the "phablet" category. Frankly, I believe the size of the 1520 is beginning to become an advantage. I have had mine for about two weeks and I have twice had people remark that it is "bigger than the Galaxy Note" as an ADVANTAGE of the phone over the Note.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded to 830 from 920 (I actually like big phones and I don't give a crap about stigma, but my pockets are too small and I don't have a purse - if my wife would follow me around at work I'd have her carry a 1520 in her purse for me!). I guess I could just wear a suit jacket all the time...

Anyway I was worried about the underpowered part but have not found that to be the case - it runs the OS, web and all apps better than my 920 on WP8.1 - no "stuttering" in the animations. An upgrade is, by definition, equal or better in every way and I can honestly say that the 830 is an upgrade in almost every way - faster, thinner, lighter, better camera, significantly longer battery life, swappable battery, SD card, multiple back plates - the screen is the lone compromise - very nice, love the size and the way the thinner bezels make the phone same width as L920, just a little worse viewing angles - you'll notice that if you put them together, but not in your daily use. I am especially loving the SD card full of ALL of my music (finally, first time in 4 years) and the battery.

I won't dismiss the 1520 - I REALLY thought about an unlocked 1520 (that screen is gorgeous!), but weight (more than dimensions) was the deciding factor.

I think the disappointment or hesitation with some regarding the 830 is not what it is, but what it could have been - it doesn't seem like a stretch to add Snapdragon 80X and a 20MP shooter - I would have paid up for that.

When I picked it up I figured in six months I could get the "real" upgrade, but I think it might last longer. And even more than my L920 I get people asking me about it - "wow, that looks great, what is it?". Love that...

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either - 1520 more future profits with a beautiful screen, but with the obvious compromises... good luck!

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I'm a power user. I had a Lumia 920 for many years.. Absolutely loved it! However the battery life became sub par after 8.1, along with the screen being small for my usage. I found myself zooming into everything on all sites, it lagged, and just wasn't holding up.

Ended up getting a 1520. Never saw one in person before and omg. It is gorgeous! Ridiculously powerful, everything you do, its just snappy. Screen is amazing, It can support a 128gb sdxc! And that bumps you up to 160gb!!! I sane! The size for me is perfect! I mean the first day or two I was still laughing at the size just amazed at how big it was but I loved it. Grabs a lot of attention. I'm used to the size now and will never go back to a smaller phone. Mine you I use mine more as a tablet than a phone. Camera is incredible.

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I went from my 920 to the 1020 now to the 1520 and love it. Lots of power, great picture quality (not like the 1020 though) and great battery life. If tho sucker did have the 41MP camera the 1020 did I would be in absolute love with this phone.

windows94

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
The snapdragon 400 is a fantastic processor for what it is. It's a low clock speed but having multiple cores helps alot. A9 or not. My phone (635) has only 512 megs of RAM, and it runs WP 8.1 fine. Is that low? Yes! Too low I you ask me. I would really like at least 1 gig for future proofing. Personaly, I like the 1520 better. The 830 is a little too mid range. But WP runs fine on anything really. It could run on a potato

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
^1520.3 has wireless charging :D

LOLwut worthless 4 MP camera. I need high MP because I take pictures of documents a lot so I need the details.
Also, on screen buttons and no camera button are deal breakers.

My carrier AT&T has disabled the wireless charging on the 1520

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I went from my 920 to the 1020 now to the 1520 and love it. Lots of power, great picture quality (not like the 1020 though) and great battery life. If tho sucker did have the 41MP camera the 1020 did I would be in absolute love with this phone.

... and Xenon flash of 1020 too, then it would be perfect :)

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My carrier AT&T has disabled the wireless charging on the 1520

The carrier (AT&T) did NOT disable it, the phones branded for AT&T were manufactured without the QI charging coil. The AT&T phone has 3 dots (about 2/3 down the back) which are pickups (contacts) for an optional PMA charging case. PMA is a competing protocol (with QI) for wireless charging. AT&T belongs to the PMA consortium.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3