This is how i finally fixed my screen rotation problem and more

NSPerl

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I bought a used Lumia 920 from a friend of mine last month, i enjoyed the first days of the experience untill i found out that my screen rotation has problems since my device didnt auto-rotate
when i flip, of course i tried to turn the feature on/off but no way. this pissed me off and i finally accepted to have this problem with the device and continue using and i even didnt call my friend

i started to browse forums for some possible solutions but i did not find something even there were a lot of people having the same issue. more than that my compass was not working and i could not
install some apps requiring this feature.

But, few days ago.. i managed to fix that by coincidence and with bizarre solution ( no no not with taping the back of my device )
I actually turned Cortana off and after that the device restarted and compass, screen rotation is working like a charm. this is strange since no one is talking about this and i decided to
post this thread, so people with same issue can try that and give some feedback. i even tried that twice and everytime it was on, screen rotation was not working.

I hope this can be right solution for screen rotation problem in Lumia 920

Please try or ask anyone you know having this issue try that and give some feedback. sorry about my english

have a nice day
NS

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is a strange solution if I've ever heard one! If you turn Cortana on again now does this problem start again?

NSPerl

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes... things my L920 was missing before i find this solution :
Auto-rotation
Compass
Proximity censor

I find this solution by coincidence.. i found Cortana unuseful for me since i dont live in US and i decided to turn it off, my L920 sign me out and restared and now everythings working: Here city lens, all compass application, rotation, even Nokia camera app, i gave up using it and now its working... the probleme with the rotation being dead is that when i wanted to flip my phone for taking landscape photos, the phone didnt rotate and i had to edit each photo and rotate manually which is weird.

I read that a lot of people has the auto-rotation problem and 90% believe its a hardware problem. Please spread the word, so we can verify this information. i know the feeling of having a device without compass, auto-rotation, here city lens....

and yea when i turn Cortana back to On all the problems are back.. i tried that once the other day.. now i dont want to try it again.

Please WC verify this information and if it's right one for problems of rotation and all the ones listed above write something about it.

Thank you

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Holy sh*t on a stick, this actually worked!

Tried all the solutions I found in other threads (soft reset, hard reset, tapping on the back, dropping on the desk) and nothing! I was about to give up, but then I found your idea, and voila, it worked!

To be precise, since I didn't find an option to disable Cortana (is there one?) I just changed my region to one where there's no Cortana (Belgium), the phone rebooted, and rotation was working again! I then changed back to my region (UK), rebooted, and Cortana is back, while rotation is still working!

Thanks!!!

John Scarbrough

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
well it is 8.27.16 and this is still an issue! I have suffered with this ever since buying the Nokia 1520 a year + ago .... and yes turning off Cortana is the only fix I have found. I did a full reset ( pain in the butt) once and that fixed the problem until it returned a few weeks later....Thanks Microsoft you do great stuff but you just don't finish the job to get it all right...

Yoosuf Belal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
This is brilliant but very unusual fix. I have a Lumia 1520 running Windows 10 Creators Update. I ran in to this problem and after a lot of research I found this.

I changed the region, as mentioned, from UK to UAE where Cortana is unavailable. I restarted my phone. The 'Cortana is turned off' message came up. I then checked the rotation using camera app. It did not work unfortunately. So I reverted back to region UK. Restarted the phone and I tried the camera app and it worked. 👌

dcpc1984

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
It's a sensor problem.So I'm not using any flip cover & screen protector, which already fix my problem.The phone is working nice & rotation is working so smooth.

cheeseberg

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
This worked on my Lumia 650. Changed region to Belgium, restarted, rotation didn't work. Changed back to UK and rotation worked. It also fixed my auto brightness problem! Thanks for this!

Pblu1

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Date 01/07/2018, Yes still rocking my elite x3 :) just wanted to confirm this fix world, disable every setting in the gearwheel settings inside the Cortana app. Restart the phone, auto rotating wording in camera and movie playback etc. This confirmed that nothing was physically wrong with my phone. Switched each setting on one by one checking each time I toggled a setting, I can confirm all is still working with Cortana back up and running?? So in a nut shell, switch Cortana settings off, restart and switch everything back on and all is good.Build version 1709 - 10.0.15254.489 Big thanks for this solution, it was driving me crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa