How to check for a bad digitiser replacement?

alibyte

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Last week, I had some horrible person walk into me in the street while I was taking a picture with my beloved 920, and it landed face down, resulting in a shattered screen. It all worked perfectly though; both cameras, wi-fi, texts, calls and the phone itself were all running normally as if it didn't even realise it had been hit.
Long story short, I took it to a repair shop last Thursday, and the man apparently repaired it with the wrong version of the digitiser, even though he ordered a genuine part while I was standing in the shop. He called me the day after I left it with him to tell me this, and told me that this part was fitted successfully, but it wasn't working as it should. Apparently there were two other versions he could try and he ordered them both without charge to me because, as he said, it was his fault, not mine. He promised it would be done by Saturday or Monday at the latest.
It's Monday, and I called him this afternoon to check on my poor baby. He doesn't work Mondays, I am told, and the person I spoke to called him for me, and he promised me that it will be done tomorrow by 10am, somehow magically since he doesn't start work until 10am tomorrow.
(I will add to this that the person I spoke to couldn't find my phone on the shop's premises, and may have been lying when he said he had found it later on in the phone call. I am prepared to have a different 920 handed to me entirely, but mine is marked by a little war wound in the lower right corner of the casing, so I'll know if this is the case.)
My question is, what should I look for when I go to talk to the man tomorrow, if he has actually repaired my phone at all? What would indicate a bad repair job when it comes to the digitiser? I really don't want to go all the way to get it, come back, and then have to complain to him again if something goes wrong, so I'd like to know beforehand if anyone has any tips.
Thank you for reading this wall of text, and I appreciate any answers :)
(And yes, I know he sounds like a shady repair guy, but he has been recommended by a friend and has a five star rating online, so I really don't know what's happened here.)

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
The biggest problem I see people having on here is that the keys at the bottom of the screen do not work after the digitizer is replaced.
Also check the volume and power button before leaving the store.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my digitizer for my extra 900 recently but to sadly kneel down and have it slide outta my shirt pocket onto some dirt/sand mix and cracked the glass screen. I'd have him check it with the screen out and power it up and see if it work before he puts it all back together just to take it back apart if it doesn't work.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my digitizer for my extra 900 recently but to sadly kneel down and have it slide outta my shirt pocket onto some dirt/sand mix and cracked the glass screen. I'd have him check it with the screen out and power it up and see if it work before he puts it all back together just to take it back apart if it doesn't work.

That is some incredibly bad luck!

alibyte

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
That's awful luck! I hope you get it all fixed soon.
And thank you! I'm not sure if he's put it back together yet but I'll ask when I go in later today.
Wish me luck~

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Good luck. I got my digitizer off of eBay anyway for like $50 but that's for a 900 and could be higher for these newer phones maybe.

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
When you get the phone obviously check it on collection.. I recommend to try these

*turn phone off then on to see how it flickers
*look for any light bleed on outside of phone
*download a drawing app to test input on screen
*download an app (forgot the name sorry) that will do a dead pixel check and colour check

I believe that will be enough.....and check the compass on it too :)

alibyte

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! That's great advice. :)
Unfortunately, the repair man decided all of a sudden that he can't repair it because the LCD assembly needs replacing and he isn't qualified to do that, so I am left with a nice new screen but no touch input whatsoever on my expensive paperweight. It costs as much for Nokia Care to fix it as it does to get an upgrade, so I think I will have to give up on this one and upgrade.
Thank you so much everyone that replied though, I'll keep everything in mind as I'll definitely be getting another Lumia and I'm sure these things all will still apply. :)

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! That's great advice. :)
Unfortunately, the repair man decided all of a sudden that he can't repair it because the LCD assembly needs replacing and he isn't qualified to do that, so I am left with a nice new screen but no touch input whatsoever on my expensive paperweight. It costs as much for Nokia Care to fix it as it does to get an upgrade, so I think I will have to give up on this one and upgrade.
Thank you so much everyone that replied though, I'll keep everything in mind as I'll definitely be getting another Lumia and I'm sure these things all will still apply. :)
It just needs a new digitizer to be put in? What phone was it again?

alibyte

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
A Lumia 920, I've seen people replace the digitiser properly but they're quoting the same as my contract upgrade fee. I may just keep it as a back up and try to fix it myself if you mean that could be a possibility?

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A Lumia 920, I've seen people replace the digitiser properly but they're quoting the same as my contract upgrade fee. I may just keep it as a back up and try to fix it myself if you mean that could be a possibility?

It's a possibility, YouTube. That's how I figured out how to do my 900.

alibyte

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I'll definitely keep that as reference! I'll keep it as a project to be done when I get a new phone, so I have that as a safety net. Thank you so much!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra