Leaving the 920 :(

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
but going to the Lumia 1520!!

I finally made the decision that an upgrade for me will mean going to the L1520 in anticipation of the new Denim firmware upgrade to breathe new life into it. My 920 has been the best phone up to this point that I have ever had. I even have two of my teens on the 920 and my youngest with a L520. We all enjoy the windows ecosystem and it totally works for us. The only outlier is my wife, she has the iPhone 6, lol.

So I wish everyone all the best in your phone upgrade journey hopefully a great successor to the 920 is on the horizon, but I just couldn't wait, and the price has dropped. With the Denim FW update, I think it will compete even more with the iphone 6 plus, with better optics, because everything else it blows it away even after been more than a year old.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
my wife and I will pass our L920 to our kids who are using the L520 at the moment. We are thinking of getting the L830 when it's available.
only the kids' grandma is using an iPhone ;)
cheers

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey, no sweat there. May be another 6 months before another phone touches the L1520.

I have to admit I like my L920 but have never loved it. Since the 8.1 upgrade, it has been bleeding battery charges. But I love the build quality and am willing to roll on it until the right phone comes out.

That L1520 is still an amazing phone. It will be a Hero Lumia for a while. Enjoy that monster.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow that's really cool upgrading to the Lumia 1520. I'm sure you'll enjoy the big screen. Glad to hear that you and your family are enjoying the Windows Phone experience. You're teens are really lucky to have such nice phones. :smile:

I too love the Lumia 1520 but as it's very expensive and totally out of my budget, I settled with the Lumia 1320 as I wanted a 6 " screen.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering making the jump myself. I am bored with a black phone. I'd like a green 1520 if I bought an at&t model, or a yellow 1520.3. I don't know what to do. I'd miss the Qi charging, but the $500 to buy one outright is just tough, and B&H hasn't had a yellow 1520 for months.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
SO this means someone is going to get a L920 either I give it to my family member or sell it. The phone is pristine, I baby my phones with kid glove care and not a scratch on it, plus it hardly leaves the house since I work from home. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit I like my L920 but have never loved it. Since the 8.1 upgrade, it has been bleeding battery charges.
Do you have Cyan? I'm running Preview for Developers Update 1, but I have Cyan. I had battery issues prior to Cyan, but Cyan fixed the battery issues for me.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you have Cyan? I'm running Preview for Developers Update 1, but I have Cyan. I had battery issues prior to Cyan, but Cyan fixed the battery issues for me.

I also concur - with the 920 - I had 8.1 DP running Cyan. Pre-Cyan, DP was aweful, it made me rage inside. After Cyan, battery life became normal if not better at times.

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Think carefully before you jump. I just went from 920 to 1520, but cracked the screen first day of use. I dropped it 4 inches onto pavement , and it broke. I think it's too fragile for an expensive piece of gear. If you do get it, put a major cover on it right away. That 920 was a tank for 2yrs, dropped often, kept ticking.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering making the jump myself. I am bored with a black phone. I'd like a green 1520 if I bought an at&t model, or a yellow 1520.3. I don't know what to do. I'd miss the Qi charging, but the $500 to buy one outright is just tough, and B&H hasn't had a yellow 1520 for months.

You might consider looking to see if Expansys has one in yellow. I found a white one on there earlier today.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/nokia-lumia-1520-unlocked-usa-lte-32gb-yellow-rm-938-262608/

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat as the OP, with one small difference. After getting the 920 on opening day and being pretty happy with it ever since (barring a few situations here and there), particularly since 8.1, I let the lack of apps get to me and I went with iPhone 6 for the past month. It only took me a short time to realize I was not happy with iOS and that my frustrations with it are greater than my frustrations over app availability ever was on WP. So, after waiting a month so that I could be sure I had gave it a legitimate go, I am switching back to WP and have ordered a 1520.3 (RM-938) which will hopefully be here soon.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I got two L830s today and our kids love me because they now have our L920s. I don't regret the side-grade (as Daniel calls it) at all. The L830 is a beauty in my opinion. It feels very solid and the display is great. Now I have to convince grandma to switch over from her iPhone.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok so now I have two phones, the 1520 arrived a few days ago and activated perfectly, no issue. I have to admit the screen is a beast. I added an Amzer case but with it on, its huge! SO i took it off and will just find a super thin case for it. So I have the 920 feeling jilted now, but I feel i just cant let it go. I need therapy...help.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok so now I have two phones, the 1520 arrived a few days ago and activated perfectly, no issue. I have to admit the screen is a beast. I added an Amzer case but with it on, its huge! SO i took it off and will just find a super thin case for it. So I have the 920 feeling jilted now, but I feel i just cant let it go. I need therapy...help.
Nothing beats how nice the 1520 feels in hand with no case on.

Just go naked and if yyou ever need to repair it...http://www.parts4repair.com/nokia-lumia-1520/

Love that I found fully put together housings :)

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I have sent my 920 to Nokia 3 times under warranty, got it back in July, haven't really had it more then a few weeks at a time...idk if they will ever fix the thing...heats up and drains battery in less than 2 hours unless I reboot it...they sent me a "new" (don't think it was) 920 and it did same thing...so sent that back, not sure what I will end up with. I am using my L520 right now and its so slow and little, but good backup I suppose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs