Is it still OK to buy a 920 this day?

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I broke my 1520's screen :'( (much sad) and the repair costs more than a 920 i found online..

..920 was my dream phone years ago..but is it still great to have today? Thanks :(

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
It's still nice to have, but you can't compare it to 1520, which is much much better (battery, screen, camera, processor,...).

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a 920 and it's still a good phone, but it's starting to show its age... Two year old battery, those little dots running across the screen as you wait, wouldn't be getting the new camera features... If you can buy one really cheap to just wait for the next Lumia than yes... But as a replacement for the 1520 it's not even close.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a 920 and it's still a good phone, but it's starting to show its age... Two year old battery, those little dots running across the screen as you wait, wouldn't be getting the new camera features... If you can buy one really cheap to just wait for the next Lumia than yes... But as a replacement for the 1520 it's not even close.

ha, I have a brand new L920, Nokia couldn't fix first which was a few months old (battery problems), they sent me another one and it does the same thing...

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I broke my 1520's screen :'( (much sad) and the repair costs more than a 920 i found online..

..920 was my dream phone years ago..but is it still great to have today? Thanks :(

Look harder as repairing the L1520 will be a better deal than looking for a new device. N.B the WP8.1 updates are being added to 1-2yr old devices and those systems were optimized for WP8 and not WP8.1. So my advice would be to look harder for the parts online and repair your phone as it will receive all the updates for WP8.1.1 and Denim and still run smoother than any other device bar a L930,830 or 730.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is still a great phone. I swap my SIM card between mine and my 925 and 810 (although 925 is my main phone). It's got a great build quality, great look, nice screen, excellent camera and 32GB of storage. You really can't go wrong with the 920 unless you're the type who needs all the latest and greatest in tech. :smile:

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The screen still works but just a line of broken glass..which causes touch problems..it now has ghost touches and sometimes touch is not responding :'(

bryan deady

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Dont buy!

My Lumia 920 will not restart for the second time, despite hard reset, recovery software it will not turn on. I will now lose all my data.

I have called Nokia support who are unprepared to help despite the product being in warranty, They tell me to use the online service booking tool, I would but the site has been down for 2 days, despite assurances it would be only a few hours. When I contact the third party 'Anovo' for information all my emails are ignored. When I call customer services again I am basically being lied to as to how long the site will be down.

Be very careful going anywhere near a Nokia product at all, not because of the products in themselves, but when something goes wrong the message from Nokia is "we could'nt care less" .

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the 920 is still a good phone, and worth buying if the price is right. I've had mine since the day the 920 launched, and I still believe it to be the best phone I ever used. This thing is indestructible, and the performance is still pretty good, but you will probably be disappointed due to the comparative performance of the phone against the newer and much faster 1520.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Dont buy!

My Lumia 920 will not restart for the second time, despite hard reset, recovery software it will not turn on. I will now lose all my data.

I have called Nokia support who are unprepared to help despite the product being in warranty, They tell me to use the online service booking tool, I would but the site has been down for 2 days, despite assurances it would be only a few hours. When I contact the third party 'Anovo' for information all my emails are ignored. When I call customer services again I am basically being lied to as to how long the site will be down.

Be very careful going anywhere near a Nokia product at all, not because of the products in themselves, but when something goes wrong the message from Nokia is "we could'nt care less" .

Ha, I have sent my phone in 3 times, on a "new" L920, still has problems, so its being sent back again...I am starting to loose respect for Nokia now

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have EXACTLY the same situation as the OP. Replaced my 920 on insurance plan and they sent me a 1520. OK, but I dropped it 4 inches onto pavement the first damn day I had it, and cracked the screen. Just one crack across it and a couple right down in the bottom left corner, but it has become erratic, phantom presses, constantly going to Bing Voice Search, freezes, etc. I filed an insurance claim on the 920 after downloading 8.1 on to it - it virtually disabled it. Now I'm looking at used 920s on Ebay while waiting for a more usable replacement for the 1520 to be introduced. It's irritating that there's not a better option than the 1520, which just doesn't fit my lifestyle. 920 did, so I'm hoping getting a used one for sub-$100 and leaving it on WP8 will be workable.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
You can get really good deals on eBay if you check every day.
I bought my 920 used in mint condition with 2 cases for $98 shipped.
Its on 8.1 and working perfect so far.

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have EXACTLY the same situation as the OP. Replaced my 920 on insurance plan and they sent me a 1520. OK, but I dropped it 4 inches onto pavement the first damn day I had it, and cracked the screen. Just one crack across it and a couple right down in the bottom left corner, but it has become erratic, phantom presses, constantly going to Bing Voice Search, freezes, etc. I filed an insurance claim on the 920 after downloading 8.1 on to it - it virtually disabled it. Now I'm looking at used 920s on Ebay while waiting for a more usable replacement for the 1520 to be introduced. It's irritating that there's not a better option than the 1520, which just doesn't fit my lifestyle. 920 did, so I'm hoping getting a used one for sub-$100 and leaving it on WP8 will be workable.
Why did they send you a 1520 rather than a 930? Or the 830?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You can get 925 on eBay for about ?200 brand new and ?100-?130 used in good condition. I would grab a used one to plug a hole and get whatever comes with Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte