What's your next upgrade after the 920?

windows94

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
The 830 looks like a great phone and I'm sure it runs faster than my 920... As it should being a new phone... The problem I'm having is five months or whenever down the road when Microsoft says the 830's hardware isn't able to handle the new software.
Who do you think they are? Android? Microsoft will be pushing updates for pretty much all their phones (previews for developers) until time stops weather the hardware can handle it or not... Which it can.. And will

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I could get similar photos with my 920 - 4 sec exposure ISO ~400. Haven't tried with my 830 yet..

I want something with

1. at least 1GB RAM, 2GB will be better
2. at least 32GB internal storage, 64 will be better
3. expandable storage
4. removable battery
5. glance screen, a LED alert indicator will be better
6. IPS LCD screen

sounds like a 1520 to me ;) (except the battery)

Who do you think they are? Android? Microsoft will be pushing updates for pretty much all their phones (previews for developers) until time stops weather the hardware can handle it or not... Which it can.. And will

I find it amusing yet sad how many people don't understand the WP7->WP8 transition controversy after so much has been written about it..

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping that something comes along soon in the 9xx range though I could quite happily go another year with it.
Aside from a little bump in the top corner and the connection for the flash coming loose inside, its still a good phone.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I could get similar photos with my 920 - 4 sec exposure ISO ~400. Haven't tried with my 830 yet.

No, not really, you couldn't. It's simple physics: a 1/4" sensor will never gather as much light as an APSC sensor due to size constraints at the same sensitivity. That picture (maybe not exactly that one, I took a bunch) was taken at ISO400 with a 10 second exposure, and you're telling me with your tiny phone sensor and less time you could get similar photos? Simply no. Physics says so and I say so, as I've tried.

You could get some semblance of this detail in a very small size, but it just won't hold a candle to the color depth of the APSC sensor. Thinking otherwise is... well, disregarding scientific evidence blindly.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok...i hope your right and I'm wrong... That it's able to get all the features that come with Windows 10 on the phone.

GerOrBa

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I am keeping my 920 for a not-so-little while longer, since I still love this device. WP 8.1 just breathed new life to it so it feels brand new and different from what it was (despite some valid criticisms).
I only have one year with it and will replace with the L940 or the L1525/L1530 or L1030 (whichever High End Device I end up liking the most) after they are one year old (and hopefully drop in price). Benchmark tests and comparisons to the 830 show performance to be about the same.

The only things I currently don't like on the 920 that I know can be solved by upgrading to a current middle range (L830) are:
-Battery life is not stellar (have to recharge by late afternoon). Due to Cortana having the location services on and my workplace not allowing free access Wi-fi,
-Probably because of the same reasons, the phone tends to run a little hot and I can feel it in my front pocket.

But other than that this is a completely satisfied customer =).

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
While I still wait for AT&T to get a suitable upgrade to the 920, I went ahead and changed my 920 from a Glossy White housing to a Matte Cyan housing.

Beautiful. I now have the phone I wanted 2 years ago!

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
No, not really, you couldn't. It's simple physics: a 1/4" sensor will never gather as much light as an APSC sensor due to size constraints at the same sensitivity. That picture (maybe not exactly that one, I took a bunch) was taken at ISO400 with a 10 second exposure, and you're telling me with your tiny phone sensor and less time you could get similar photos? Simply no. Physics says so and I say so, as I've tried.

You could get some semblance of this detail in a very small size, but it just won't hold a candle to the color depth of the APSC sensor. Thinking otherwise is... well, disregarding scientific evidence blindly.

true, 4sec at insane iso and only "similar" - meaning few white dots on a black background, maybe not as many :)

2014_08_02_22_34_20_ProShot.jpg

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I know that there is no "true" successor for the 920 yet, so what I might do is just pick up a 1020 for the extra RAM and better camera, but I am having second thoughts because it doesn't have onboard Qi charging. I have 2 QI chargers so I'd hate to have to pick up more chargers so I'm not sure. My wife has a 1520. While she loves it, I see it as too big.

Estep16

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow thanks for all the insightful replies! My interest is quite piqued in the 830, although I wish I could handle one in my hand so I can really get a feel for it before buying one. My wife's 735 gets amazing battery life while my 920 can barely last the day usually, and she uses the phone much more than I do! I have a feeling that the last 2 years of wireless charging have somehow worn down my battery...

So now I wait for the 830 to drop in price a little more or see if an attractive and appealing new Lumia comes out in Q1 of next year. We shall see! :)

ylap

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
The only worth upgrade is 930 ATM. There is too small improvement to go for 830. It is ofc, only my opinion. Not planning to switch my L920 anytime soon.

milkybuet

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Eagerly waiting for a real successor to 1020. And by real successor I mean a sensor that's not gimped, and a SoC that can actually properly handle said sensor. And hopefully enough RAM.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Love my 920. With a newer device I would like a faster processor (obviously) ips screen, 2g ram, qi, could care less about the camera (I have a canon 1ds mark II if I need good pics), expandible storage would be nice but would prefer it onboard (128 GB ideally), burn brown headphone chipset, and an ir blaster.

Boss Fight

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting for a flagship Windows 10 'Surface' phone. I want a phone that doubles as a PC, which sounds crazy but also seems like a possibility with Win 10.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I retired my ATT 920 for a Sammy S5 Active. Hated to leave but I saw no other option.
​I hope you find something you like and can live with!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2