What's your next upgrade after the 920?

Estep16

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone! I still love my 920 but wondering what will be my next move in the future. The 830 is appealing but the weird charging port placement and considering it a "sidegrade" is keeping me away for now. The 735 is also quite nice but the muffled loudspeaker comes off as very budget.

And with regards to the larger screen phones, I don't want anything with larger than 5". I prefer compact and light, along with wireless charging and microSD expansion.

Still waiting for a successor to the classic 920! What do you all think? Do you have your next upgrade in mind?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been considering the 830 and 930. I like the microSD expansion option and removable battery on the 830, but the overall hardware improvements on the 930 make it a compelling option. I might just try and hold out a bit longer and see what is on the horizon.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Right now all we can do is wait and see, my carrier AT&T isn't even offering the 930. Maybe a 1520 for me or a android phone, all I hear from Microsoft and high end phones are CRICKETS chirping in the void.

BCH

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the 920 for two years until I upgraded (because, yes, it's an upgrade) to the AT&T version of the 830. Forget all the talk about the 830 processor being mid-tier and having unimpressive benchmarks. This thing blows the 920 out of the water in day-to-day use. Everything loads quicker. In particular, Xbox Music absolutely sings on the 830 whereas sometimes it would bog down on my 920. Tracks stream faster, they download faster (I have the Xbox Music Pass), and my collection loads and scrolls perfectly. The 830 has transformed the hated Xbox Music into five-star app. It's like night and day. Caveat, I don't play battery-sucking, graphic intensive games on my phone.

Bluetooth performance is much improved in the 830 compared to 920. Sometimes my 920 would fail to resume music after a phone call and get hung up. The 830 suffers no such problem. Also, my entire phone book and call history loads into my car's system on connection, whereas the 920 never managed it. (I have a 2015 Acura).

Unlike the 920, the 830 never runs hot, and battery life is better than I remember when the 920 was new. Frequently my 920 would absolutely choke on some apps, e.g., XBM, and get hot and drain the battery 20% in half an hour. Not the 830 which just plows through everything I've thrown at it. Also, all my Qi chargers (Nokia, Tylt, and Energizer duo charger) work with the 830.

The ONLY thing I don't appreciate about the 830 is that you are locked into the three column mid-sized tiles on the start screen. No option for the larger two-tiled setup. This makes text on the live tiles a bit too small (I'm 46 y.o., and started wearing reading glasses recently).

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The ONLY thing I don't appreciate about the 830 is that you are locked into the three column mid-sized tiles on the start screen. No option for the larger two-tiled setup. This makes text on the live tiles a bit too small (I'm 46 y.o., and started wearing reading glasses recently).

Oh wow, until you just mentioned this I didn't know you couldn't use two columns if you didn't want to use three. That's stupid. Why do they take away certain options like that...

df608

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I thought about side-grading to the 830 but, I would lose out on the hey Cortana and 4k video recording at least. So the 830 is out but, it does look like a nice phone.

I would go with the 1520 but, there is no qi and I like the newer look with the metal frame on the 830 and 930. Qi is a big deal for me, I like to place my phone on the qi stand rather then trying to connect the charger in the dark just before bed.

I'm very disappointed that we are not seeing a new flagship release before the holidays. Ms sure didn't think of us 920 users that were on contract.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
The 830 looks like a great phone and I'm sure it runs faster than my 920... As it should being a new phone... The problem I'm having is five months or whenever down the road when Microsoft says the 830's hardware isn't able to handle the new software.

BCH

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
The 830 looks like a great phone and I'm sure it runs faster than my 920... As it should being a new phone... The problem I'm having is five months or whenever down the road when Microsoft says the 830's hardware isn't able to handle the new software.

There is no way that's going to happen.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm either going to get a 1520 preferably green or a note 3 or 4. I truly believe that all models on WP will be upgraded to w10 so that isn't a concern to me. After the change they made 2 yrs ago to unify everything,I don't see why they would turn around and do it again. But anyways I'm trying to wait and see what kind of deals black Friday and Christmas will bring phone wise.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to the L830 today and I love it. My kids love me because now they have our L920s. The L830 is a beauty in my opinion. I do not regret switching. For now I will have to say goodbye to the L920 forum
cheers

LangBoost

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Whatever I move to next, I want a removable battery and a microSD slot. 32 GB has been plenty of space, but the ease of which you can share files by microSD is important to me. My battery isn't holding a charge so well these days, but the Youtube video for replacing the battery makes me a little nervous. Undoubtedly I'll break something and regret not using a professional. :)

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to 930 and it is a very, very good upgrade, except for three things: lack of glance - but I learned to live without it, battery in idle is way better on heavy use is the same, and the last thing: heating, there is even more heating than on 920 on heavy use.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I want something with

1. at least 1GB RAM, 2GB will be better
2. at least 32GB internal storage, 64 will be better
3. expandable storage
4. removable battery
5. glance screen, a LED alert indicator will be better
6. IPS LCD screen

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I wanted a 930, but it never came to at&t, so I picked up a 830. I don't miss the heating and the limitation of memory found in my 920. I'm liking the L830 so far.
Lumia830_storygreen.jpg.thumb.432.946.png

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
This might seem weird... but I?m looking forward to "sidegrading" to a newer but lower end Lumia. I've enjoyed my 920 very much. I purchased it because of its camera and it's given me outstanding results repeatedly. However, it's still a phone camera and is far, far from my NEX 5N, specially for low light. In fact, I've noticed that ever since I purchased the 920 I've used my APSC body way, way less. This is convenient, but the overall quality of my picture collection has noticeably suffered. As good as the 920 is, it's no APSC.

This realization came full circle when I dropped the 920 and the upper left quarter shattered. It's functional - I'm still using it as of now - for the past 2 months and I'm looking to upgrade, but what I realized is how much it hurts when one of these expensive, high end devices breaks. I would have never dropped my NEX the way I dropped the 920 since I don't use it constantly like the phone. Pair the bigger loss of the expensive object + the great photography that nonetheless can never be as good as my APSC = convenience is not a strong enough pull for me to keep buying flagships. Thus, I've rationalized what I actually need:

1GB RAM - futureproofing if Win10 is heavier
Expandable storage - I have 30GB of music to carry with me
4.5" AMOLED screen, or at least IPS screen with Clearblack
Dual cameras - even if not great -, flash and typical sensors (unlike 530 or 63x that removed them)

This is a good enough phone that I can use as what it is: a bit-of-everything device + some photography. The screen will look fine, it'll perform fine and it will push me to take the NEX out much more often and improving the quality of my picture collection overall. If it breaks, I'll buy another one and still overall spend less than on the flagship. If the camera ain't great... I'll keep bringing my NEX with me. Just last night, I brought it with me instead of just the 920, and I was able to capture the galaxy at night which I would have never been able to do with the 920 - in the end, achieving the end result is what matters and this would only be possible with the phone+APSC gadget pair:
DSC02236.jpg

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Nothing soon, it would seem. All Microsoft has done since taking over the Lumia brand has released overpriced, underpowered, budget devices like the 730, 830, and the alleged 535 and 1330. I'm on AT&T, and there isn't a device to replace the 920 present. The 830 is a sidegrade at best, the 1520's too large for the main consumer base, the 1020 is too old (and basically a 920 with a big camera), and the One is a total joke of a hardware port.

So, my next device is the first high-end Lumia Microsoft releases on AT&T, which I hope is a 1030. However, with the way they're going, I wouldn't expect a replacement device for 920 users to come until next spring or summer. To put it plainly, I have zero faith in Microsoft as a hardware OEM, at least until they actually show a willingness to release devices to compete with HTC, Samsung, and apple on the high-end.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Got my M8 today, and so far I love it, I know I will miss the wireless charging but there is always a trade off somewhere This phone just looks a feels great, It was already a tried and true flagship phone. Hope you find one to your liking..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos