920 wont find sim

londongardener

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
After smashing the screen on my 1020 in good style, I reverted back to my 920.Last week on deciding I wanted some decent pictures I put the sim card back into my 1020 just to take some photos.Roll on 4 days and on swapping the sim back into the 920 it is now not recognised.Anyone any ideas on how I can get the phone to find the sim.
The sim is working fine as if I put it back into the 1020 it works fine.

Thanks in advance.

Dantunano

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Very sorry to read that.

There's no way to fix that without opening the phone (a torx and a suction cup will do)

I followed the tutorial at BrokenLCDs blog "How to Solve Nokia Lumia 920 SIM Card Problem?" (sorry I can't post links) and then it came obvious that in my case the SIM controller IC had a bad contact. Then I took the L920 main board naked to a mobile repair local where I asked to have that component reballed. Fixed for only 20$ aprox.

Warning: the tutorial has the labels of the capacitor and the IC switched. The IC is the 3x3 BGA encapsulated square component, and the capacitor is the tiny component below.

If you take in&out the SIM tray without switching off the phone the probability of having a component like the resistor burnt is high. But in the best scenario, it's only the SIM reader pins that are slightly depressed and a simple pull up will do.

Said that, the "sim error" in L920 seems pandemic..

(sorry for my English)

londongardener

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I sorted it, this ***** had the sim card in the wrong way. Another problem has arisen now though as the phone thinks headphones are installed meaning I cannot hear people when they phone me but I can hear them.I had this problem recently which I sent away to nokia to have the phone fixed. The same thing has happened again.

Not happy with Nokia build quality so I think I will jump ship next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo