Why have my power button and volume up button stopped working?

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Power button and volume up stopped working

Hi all,

Last night my Lumia 920 started acting strange. I couldn't turn the screen on with the power button and thought my battery had died, until I received a phone call and it turned out that wasn't the case. After a lot of clicking the button, accompanied by the appropriate amount of swearing, I figured that it was the button that wasn't working anymore. The screen wakes up when I double tap it, so at least I can turn it on now and use it, but I can't lock the screen.

Another button that just decided to not respond anymore is the volume up button. Luckily I can use volume down to bring up the display and manually change it on my touch screen, so I also have a temporary fix for that.

However, I would like to know if there is a better solution to this problem, and if anyone else has dealt with it? I've reached out to Nokia on Twitter, all they did was ask if I had installed any apps previously (no, just updates about 8 hours prior). I am on Preview for Developers and have received the latest update a couple days ago.

I have tried restarting the phone by changing region. I also let the battery drain all the way, waited for a few hours and then charged it to restart. Soft reset won't work (because, you know... power button :p)

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Power button and volume up stopped working

You can use the Nokia recovery tool to reset your 920... but probably you already know that will erase everything.

Maybe the DP is the cause of the button malfunction, you could go back to normal WP8.1 + Cyan with the Nokia recovery tool and see if everything goes to normal... if not then it's an hardware malfunction and this part will solve the problem.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Hmm yeah I'll try that at some point next week when I have time to do that. Thanks for your help

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Yeah they click. I doubt it's software related but I'll try a hard reset before sending it for a repair (it's still under warranty :))

/edit: UPS just picked it up for repair. Hard reset didn't do anything so now I hope they can fix it :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion