Lumia 920 Battery Drain

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I have had nothing but problems with my Nokia Lumia 920. I purchased a red Lumia 920 in July, 2014. After a few days, I noticed the phone got hot and the battery would drop by a percent about every 2 minutes. This was not normal, as my wife?s 1020 and my old 520 did not do this. After rebooting the phone, it went away, but the battery level drops about 10-15% each time I reboot the phone. This happens every day, sometime several times a day. So I figured it was a program, I hard reset the phone. The next day, it does the same thing. After several hard resets and using the Nokia recovery software, I decided to contact Nokia. They had me send me phone in, several days later, I get the phone back. Same issue, this happens again, send phone back, get phone back same problem. At the third time of contact Nokia, they send me a ?new? white Lumia 920, not thrilled with color, but wanted a working phone. This phone after a few days does the same thing. So I hard reset it, same thing. Contact Nokia, send the phone in again, they send it back and it does the same thing. So I contact Nokia again, this is my 5th time of contact Nokia about this same issue. They send me another new ?one time? complementary replacement phone. Get the phone, two days later it is doing the same thing?.I have removed every app, let the phone run with nothing on it, it will still heat up, battery drain and battery plummets when I reboot it.

After trying everything I could think of (only a reboot and airplane mode stops the phone from heating up), I went into field test mode. (##3282#), switched off the LTE to only pickup Edge or 4G and bingo, phone started to cool down and battery didn't pluimit. So I contacted AT&T who told me I have strong LTE signal (wife's 1020 is fine). So this must be an issue with hardware. After this third "new" phone from Nokia, they pretty much told me not to contact them again. Do I have to just live with 4g only signal? What should I do??

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Change to another Lumia. Oddly the 920 just does this. We have two here that both randomly do this. Been hoping every time a firmware update comes out that it will be fixed. Two years later same thing.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
After having a 920 for over two years and trying every tip out there, you just learn to live with it. My would heat up a few times a week with no rhyme or reason. Pain in the ****, but till a great phone.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. We just shutdown when it does it. Leave off 20 seconds. Turn on. Problem fixed for a while.

Still annoying... Was out at a game the other week and it killed itself without me realizing.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever opened your Battery Saver and checked to see what is sucking your battery down??? It breaks it all down and you can see % usage, it took out all the guess work and killed the "I thinks"

I found my hogs to be the Windows Store with auto update turned on it was #1, I turned off auto updates and notifications and do it manually.
I don't know what would cause it to hang, but when it did I thought my phone was on a meltdown.

Internet Explorer is my #2 hog when I use it to watch streaming TV or video

All the rest are all running on 1% drain, but I do not play games on my phone either.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Nothing. Or around 1 in 50 times, Phone.

I suspect GPS gets locked on in baseband as heat is similar to when that is running. Either that or the GPU as gaming is similar heat. Could just be CPU stuck at 100% somehow, but Battery Saver really doesn't know what it is.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Yep, battery saver doesn't show anything...I could understand it getting hot with use, but idle, shouldn't...only seems to do it when I go from work to home, so from a 4g area to LTE

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Having the 920 for 2 years, its an idiosyncrasy I have to live with. I've done all that is to do but the drain still occurs. My guess its the 920 is just very poor at handling poor carrier phone signals and GPS or WiFi when switch on.. and I don't expect these weakness will be resolved. As soon as I see a real proper replacement my fingers will be itching...

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, my thing is though, I still technically have a warranty and Nokia sees this as a problem and just keeps sending new phones...this last time they pretty much told me to go away lol

wasabiman123

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah mine would get hot and drain battery on ATT too, got annoying so I just got a 635 for 40$, gonna ride it out with that until new flagships drop (which for ****'s sake the 830 is a terrible value...). Runs everything the way I need it to run, I would miss the camera if I didn't just get a nice Fujifilm.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, I am going to try running it on 4g, would rather have that then cut down to the 635, the 635 is decent for the money, but I would really miss the camera and flash

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had this issue as well, but not nearly as often as you. I maybe see it once every couple of weeks or so, and usually after the phone has been running without being rebooted for a long time. I just reboot the phone, take the initial 10% battery hit (unless I leave it off for a while, then boot it back up, and I don't lose the 10%), then it's back to a normal 1-2% per hour idle.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
since the last DP update i noticed i'd loose 30-60% battery when the phone is not in use in the mid afternoon almost every other day..... ex: 80% left, drive into vegas (55 miles) and when i check, i'm down to 35%! another time, i was at about 65%, had lunch (phone not used for 20 minutes) and go to see i'm in battery saver mode! this severe drain has never happened until the last DP update.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Try dialing ##3282# and going into field mode and forcing 3G (will show 4g, not LTE in the top left corner)...seems to be better for me so far

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Fellow L920 battery sufferer here. My husband and I both have had them since launch day and I have spent more hours than I care to think of trying to fix this. Mostly I compensate by keeping it charged when I can, and running on WiFi when possible too. It does seem to be related to cell radio issues for me as well.... other than that I love the phone and hope desperately that the next generation of devices won't have this problem.....

Cheers,

DavidM

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Turn off the glance screen and you will see major improvement in battery life

I had tried that, had it off for a few days...it only does it when I travel from a LTE to 4g then back to LTE...so only does it on days that I work...weekends when I am off, no issues....besides this, I have no issues whatsoever with my battery life in general

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos