Doubts for Denim update for 920

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
With almost all models having got Denim so far, I'm really beginning to think that the 920s and 820s wouldn't get Denim at all. I don't care much about the new camera, I just need a better firmware so it runs W10 better. (In fact I've already tried W10 and rolled back due to terrible battery, heating up a lot, and dud cellular data)

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. I have Denim on my AT&T-branded 920, but I'm also running Developer's Preview. The thing is, I believe Denim doesn't give any benefits to a 920 - they are mostly camera enhancements on hardware we do not have. So don't be discouraged if you do not get Denim! You aren't missing anything :)

(I'm not 100% that Denim doesn't give any benefits to 920 users, but I'm pretty sure I've seen several articles on here mention that)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
There is no reason at all why the 820 and 920 would not get the Denim update.
In several regions the 620 and 720 device already got Denim.

kivancio

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
lumia 520, 620, 720 did not get any firmware update for Lumia Denim. However, lumia 925 & 1020 got firmware update in Lumia Denim. Probably 820 & 920 will also get that firmware update, not sure what s been changed. from xxx.1425.xxx to xxxx 1451. xxxx

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt we're going to see anything new in Denim since Cyan works just fine with 8.1 Update.

Will we get a actual firmware upgrade with 10? I think that's more likely than a firmware upgrade to correspond with a relatively minor update to 8.1, especially considering our devices are pretty old.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It's obvious the Lumia 920 is a device that is not cares about. They only care about the new models and the 520 because it sold so much. They don't care that the 920 gets a worse camera with every firmware update. And I think denim won't do anything for our beloved 920.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
It's obvious the Lumia 920 is a device that is not cares about. They only care about the new models and the 520 because it sold so much. They don't care that the 920 gets a worse camera with every firmware update. And I think denim won't do anything for our beloved 920.

The 920 is still on the most used devices list.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

OK Dan the Downer.
my 920's camera has performed well enough as a matter of fact. for the sake of my enlightenment could you inform me how the camera has degraded please? (I'm serious, I know they tweak camera stuff, but never really seen it get worse in my eyes, etc.)

think of it this way:
You are Microsoft. Your goal is to make money. (that's how they all are internally, so don't think its "evil M$ hurr hurr")
the 920 is out of production, its no longer being sold.
it is coming on three years old as a model.
it has seen three, four updates with firmwares to boot to date. Not counting Preview builds.
Windows Phone 8.1 Update is a minor update which still plays perfectly well with Lumia Cyan.
it is still going to be updated officially to your latest OS approaching on the horizon: Windows 10.
Your device lineup is increasingly getting larger. (cutting a firmware upgrade for something as minor as the 8.1 Update is perfectly reasonable IMHO.)

No, you don't go 110% effort on an aging device until the last unit dies. You don't make new hardware features tailored to every device in your portfolio. You try to balance all sorts of things. Customers like you with their expectations and/or entitlement. The finite resources you have to put into various things. You have limited manpower, limited funds, limited time. Could time spent on an older device be better used elsewhere? Shareholders. etc.

Not saying to dump a device as soon as it isn't being sold, because that doesn't end up well in the end. *cough* cheapo Androids *cough*
It's just you cant go forever. The 920 has had its upgrades and its time in the limelight. Now its fading into the background as a new generation steps up. It's still around, still used, but not top-of-the-list priority.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
OK Dan the Downer.
my 920's camera has performed well enough as a matter of fact. for the sake of my enlightenment could you inform me how the camera has degraded please? (I'm serious, I know they tweak camera stuff, but never really seen it get worse in my eyes, etc.)

think of it this way:
You are Microsoft. Your goal is to make money. (that's how they all are internally, so don't think its "evil M$ hurr hurr")
the 920 is out of production, its no longer being sold.

No, you don't go 110% effort on an aging device until the last unit dies. Could time spent on an older device be better used elsewhere? Shareholders. etc.

Not saying to dump a device as soon as it isn't being sold, The 920 has had its upgrades and its time in the limelight. Now its fading into the background as a new generation steps up. It's still around, still used, but not top-of-the-list priority.

What planet did you come from?

Many went back to the Portico Update, updates after that ruined picture quality, there are hundreds of post on this forum on lost picture quality after updating past Portico. And the only real new phone other than baseline mid entry and bottom entry phones was the 1520 and just being over 2 years old is not really outdated.

I'd take the 920 over anything offered in the USA now except for a 1020 or 1520, and what newer generation phones compare to the level of the 920, 1020 or 1520 in the USA? And BTW it is still being sold and it's got about 9 months to go to have a 3 year release date.

Last edited:

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
What planet did you come from?

Many went back to the Portico Update, updates after that ruined picture quality, there are hundreds of post on this forum on lost picture quality after updating past Portico. And the only real new phone other than baseline mid entry and bottom entry phones was the 1520 and just being over 2 years old is not really outdated.

I'd take the 920 over anything offered in the USA now except for a 1020 or 1520, and what newer generation phones compare to the level of the 920, 1020 or 1520 in the USA? And BTW it is still being sold and it's got about 9 months to go to have a 3 year release date.

I don't know why, but mine never gets screwed up with anything.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

So, what is Denim for the 920, not much except the OS update that comes with it. It is not about not caring. It is about the new hardware in newer phones getting updates. You see features come along all the time that require what the 920 does not have. That is the way it is.
The camera has gotten better, we have two of them

D

Deleted member 283935

Microsoft's software update site for Lumia devices says that Lumia 920 got updated to Denim in China.

gringos993

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Oh there is one pretty big thing that Denim gives to my 820. At cyan I can't edit picture with my SophieLens HD. Their support said it will work on Denim, and it's confirmed on other devices. So there are some things we get, or not?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well the denim update will come to the 920, probably the last device since it is the oldest device running Wp 8.1....

But I'm clearly speculating as there has been no form of order to the roll out i.e. the flagships get it first globally, then the 5 series (CV variants) then the 6 series, 7 series. Excluding the US market of course given the carriers are the ones causing the delay and CV variants are almost not existent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 283935

Good news! Microsoft's software update site for Lumia devices states that Denim is available for the 920 in several countries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes