How do I change the firmware of my phone to get updates?

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Changing the firmware of my phone to get updates

I get my lumia 920 from 2 months ago and now i found out that its an unlocked phone from a carrier called lusacell in mexico,and i live in lebanon in my country the denim update is available for lumia 920 but not for this carrier in mexico so my question is can i change the firmware to a cv global one or maybe for the one available to my country and how to do it???

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If I were you, I'd just get onto the Preview for Developers and get 8.1 Update 1 that way. I have a Lumia 920 as well and I don't expect a firmware update, so going into the PfD program will essentially give you Denim (though Extras+Info will say Cyan).

It'll also keep you from hard resetting your device. ;)

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Changing the firmware of my phone to get updates

If I were you, I'd just get onto the Preview for Developers and get 8.1 Update 1 that way. I have a Lumia 920 as well and I don't expect a firmware update, so going into the PfD program will essentially give you Denim (though Extras+Info will say Cyan).

It'll also keep you from hard resetting your device. ;)

I'm already on the pfd and I have the latest version but I have some issues and I need to hard reset the phone and I was thinking that when the update is already available for my country why shouldn't I get it

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You can probably change it - there's a thread related to this - titled I think "how to easily flash your 920 to Amber/GDR2" or something like that. The instructions are for changing the USA AT&T 920 to either the Canadian ROGERS ROM or the French CV ROM. I think you could adapt it for your needs. It's an old guide though, there may be more up-to-date information elsewhere on these boards.

Do note that changing to a different variant could possibly have unforeseen consequences, but I think it'll be OK.

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

You can probably change it - there's a thread related to this - titled I think "how to easily flash your 920 to Amber/GDR2" or something like that. The instructions are for changing the USA AT&T 920 to either the Canadian ROGERS ROM or the French CV ROM. I think you could adapt it for your needs. It's an old guide though, there may be more up-to-date information elsewhere on these boards.

Do note that changing to a different variant could possibly have unforeseen consequences, but I think it'll be OK.

As I understand this is for modifying wp8 would it work with wp8.1 and what are the consequences for this action I hope to find someone that have done to explain the hole process to me

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

If the phone is a Mexican variant then flash the LTA MX CV ROM. It's basically the unlocked country variant ROM for Mexico. Latin American variants support various LTE bands which non-American variants do not support. For proper compatibility always flash to the same variant ROM as your original phone's variant is. In this case flashing to the Mexico variant would make the phone unbranded (not unlocked if locked) and would get updates directly from Microsoft Mobile

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

If the phone is a Mexican variant then flash the LTA MX CV ROM. It's basically the unlocked country variant ROM for Mexico. Latin American variants support various LTE bands which non-American variants do not support. For proper compatibility always flash to the same variant ROM as your original phone's variant is. In this case flashing to the Mexico variant would make the phone unbranded (not unlocked if locked) and would get updates directly from Microsoft Mobile
do you know how to do it and I am not seeing anything related to the carrier the phone was locked too on the phone so the benefits that I will get from this is just getting the update right from Microsoft right?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

do you know how to do it and I am not seeing anything related to the carrier the phone was locked too on the phone so the benefits that I will get from this is just getting the update right from Microsoft right?

If you're asking that question I would not recommend you doing it. Flashing ROMs are easy but it needs quite a bit of reading. Search for "debranding" and "flashing" Lumia ROMs on XDA-Developers. You'll find all the tools necessary for the flash.

To answer your question, yes I do know how to do it and yes you won't see any additional improvements outside of updates not dependent on carriers to approve. But as you mentioned, if your phone is already unbranded I don't see a benefit of flashing another firmware

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

If you're asking that question I would not recommend you doing it. Flashing ROMs are easy but it needs quite a bit of reading. Search for "debranding" and "flashing" Lumia ROMs on XDA-Developers. You'll find all the tools necessary for the flash.

To answer your question, yes I do know how to do it and yes you won't see any additional improvements outside of updates not dependent on carriers to approve. But as you mentioned, if your phone is already unbranded I don't see a benefit of flashing another firmware
And what about flashing European rom or even something in my region will that succeed and I think its related to the difference btw rm-820 and rm-821?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

And what about flashing European rom or even something in my region will that succeed and I think its related to the difference btw rm-820 and rm-821?
It'll succeed but you'll end up damaging the LTE and AWS bands permanently. The phone will still work on the 3G bands

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

Does anybody know the difference between rm-820 carrier locked and rm820 global I'm interested basically in update so I can get it faster

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Does anybody know the difference between rm-820 carrier locked and rm820 global I'm interested basically in update so I can get it faster

There are a couple variants of the RM-820 I believe.

There is a ROGERS RM-820 as well as an AT&T one for Canada and the United States respectively.
I would avoid any ROMs linked to a carrier as it relies on that carrier for updates.

edit: redacted information, deferring to pankaj

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Refer to this post for 920 product codes
Nokia Product Code Listing for NaviFirm+ Download - (Nokia 730, 735, 830 Added) - GSM-Forum

The RM-820 Global Swap is the least updated firmware, avoid flashing it. If you want to stick to RM-920 ROMs then stick with the LTA MX CV ROM. If you want to cross flash to a RM-821 ROM (I won't suggest doing this) then you can pick any CV ROMs. To flash an RM-821 ROM on your RM-820 you'll have to perform a dead flash to avoid FFU errors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss