Why is my Nokia 920 freezing all the time?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

why is my nokia 920 freezing all the time?

Since i Bought my Nokia 920 i have not enjoyed the phone, the screen has been freezing i have reset the phone, delete all my contacts, pictures and essential documents but same thing. please i need help.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: why is my nokia 920 freezing all the time?

Can you elaborate with a little more information? Did you just get this phone, or has it been doing it for a while? Are you running the stock Windows Phone 8.1 software that was released through your carrier, or are you running an insider preview of Windows 10 mobile?

Please explain further how the phone freezes. Does it stop responding to touch? When it freezes, do the volume buttons or screen lock buttons still work? Does it lag for a second and then respond? These all suggest separate issues to me.

You said you did a reset. Do you mean a soft reset where you rebooted the phone, or did you do a hard reset that clears the phone to a factory state?

ThiasJ

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: why is my nokia 920 freezing all the time?

Don't know if I'm having the same issue, but my Lumia 920 freezes too since a couple of days! heres the story:

My Phone is about 2,5 years old I think. I'm using Windows 10 Mobile since the first public releases and everything worked as expected. (with known bugs of course ;) ). But then I reverted back to 8.1 to get build 10549. No problems reverting back. Surprisingly I got a "Welcome to Lumia Denim" Message. thought I already had it installed. I ignored the message and moved on with w10mobile. Upgrade went okay, took a while but in the end all finished correctly. I installed my apps and my Lumia went pretty good, I was satisfied with the build.
But one day, I wanted to drive home from work, switched my phone on, but I couldn't unlock because the touchscreen isn't responding. as so the navigation buttons (back,home, search) ... but the hardware buttons vol, power and camera were working. I can start the camera and take pictures, but only with hardware button. touchscreen still not working. I tried a softreset but it didn't worked. I tried a few times and went to sleep. Next morning the touch screen is working again. So i ignored the issue. But than 2 days later, the same thing happened again, while I'm tipping on WhatsApp the touchscreen stopped working (as the navigation buttons) but I still got messages and the time is updating etc. after a few hours the touchscreen worked again. I thought It was a glance problem, because I noticed it often "freezes" when the screen turned off and the glance screen didn't appear. I tried to deactivate glance, but when launching the glance app, it doesn't load and the touchscreen freezes.
So I thought maybe its a windows 10 mobile issue, so I reverted back to 8.1 with (multiple) factory reset without restoring backups ... now I'm on latest WP 8.1 without backup and without glance but the touchscreen keeps freezing. I noticed, that my 920 sometimes restarts itself after a couple of hours. sometimes in about 1-2 hours and sometimes (like the first time) it took a couple of hours over night. And another thing I noticed: after a softreset the time/state of the phone reverts to the time when it freezes first, but then it will count the minutes a normal, i.e.: phone freezes at 1:23pm and I make a softreset at 2:45pm the time will be 1:23pm and the next minute 1:24pm etc. If I do another reset at 3:45, the time reverts back to 1:23pm and counts like 1:24pm, 1:125pm etc ...
I think I've read something about denim and glance troubles a while ago. Maybe some knows about this issue?

I would report it to Microsoft via feedback app, but the 920 freezes so quick I cant type a text. Currently the touchscreen isn't working.

I hope someone can help me! I don't want to get an "oldgen" Lumia right now! I hope my Lumia 920 will work, till I can get a Lumia 950XL!

Thank in advance,
ThiasJ

ThiasJ

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Update: I see there's a 8.1 Update after I restart the phone. And I noticed, the date and time is randomly. actually it is stuck on 14. January at 4:58. I made a video to show:

youtube: v=DGQI1o8i0b0 (sorry, I can't post links and videos til I get at least 10 posts and I dont want to spam :( )

as you can see, my phone shows 14. Jan at 06:59 am. the touchscreen and navigation buttons aren't working. at 27 seconds, there shows up an update, but don't know which. the text states it's the update that fixes the random restarts.
In my opinion the softreset took a bit long too and after it, the phone resets to 4:58 am everytime and keeps running. (I did the last soft reset about 2 hours ago -> thats why it shows 6:59am).

I hope some can help! :)

ThiasJ

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Another Update: My Lumia 920 is working now since about 24 hours.

I opened my Lumia and reattached all connectors. But it seemed it doesnt helped. After that I reinstalled WP8.1 via Recovery Tool and soft reset about a dozen times ... after this my touchscreen started working again (maybe even earlier) ... I could finish the WLAN connection but than it stopped again. I restartet 2 times and I could skip the account login part (because the touchscreen stopped working before I got the mail with auth code).
Finally I got the lumia running and waited til all app updates were done! then I rebooted (no touchscreen again) and searched and installed latest 8.1 Updates. I had to restart a couple of times til I got all updates (phone and apps) installed. But in the end, I got my phone back working for about 1-2 hours til I decied to risk a upgrade to W10 mobile.

I'm now on 10572.0 and it is working like a charm for about 24 hours! I didnt activate glance and "high sensitive screen" (have a german phone, dont know englisch expression) and such features. Hopefully the phone will survive til december! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro