Those who have their lumia 925 already - is the wireless charging actually worth it??

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering what the consensus is on those who have their 925 and opted to purchase a wireless case and charging pad. Is it worth it and actually less hassle/better than just plugging it into the wall?

I can see the attraction with the 920 as it's built in, but is the hassle of putting on that case (pre-charge) on the 925 kind of making the whole charging process more convoluted than just doing things the old-fashioned way?

I'm sitting on a pre-order for the 925 at the mo but interested to know whether the charging kit is worth it from a LIFESTYLE/ENGINEERING point of view (ignore the financial/expense aspect of it).

I don't like any sort of case on my phones so if I did get it it would be something I'd put on only when I wanted to charge and no time else.

Interested in your thoughts!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering what the consensus is on those who have their 925 and opted to purchase a wireless case and charging pad. Is it worth it and actually less hassle/better than just plugging it into the wall?

I can see the attraction with the 920 as it's built in, but is the hassle of putting on that case (pre-charge) on the 925 kind of making the whole charging process more convoluted than just doing things the old-fashioned way?

I'm sitting on a pre-order for the 925 at the mo but interested to know whether the charging kit is worth it from a LIFESTYLE/ENGINEERING point of view (ignore the financial/expense aspect of it).

I don't like any sort of case on my phones so if I did get it it would be something I'd put on only when I wanted to charge and no time else.

Interested in your thoughts!

As someone who uses wireless charging on a messy bedside table which charges an iPod, Nokia, and HTC Flyer I can tell you it is useful but gimmicky. I got my wireless charger free but probably wouldn't buy one (blame the parents)
Sent from the enormously awesome Nokia Lumia 920 with PureView and Windows Phone 8 using Board Express

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As someone who uses wireless charging on a messy bedside table which charges an iPod, Nokia, and HTC Flyer I can tell you it is useful but gimmicky. I got my wireless charger free but probably wouldn't buy one (blame the parents)
Sent from the enormously awesome Nokia Lumia 920 with PureView and Windows Phone 8 using Board Express

Can't say your opinion is trustworthy considering your using board express over the wpcentral app! ;)

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is a must Imo. So great at night just placing it onto the pad while my Mrs scrambles around trying to plug in her iphone charges in the dark.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
to me its not a must, I got a free one with my 820 and will be getting a free one with my 925, otherwise I most likely would not have one.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 and have probably used the wireless charger for about 5% of the time I've had the phone. Infact, It's not something I'd miss. For me, if I had to use one, it's only real use would be for overnight charging.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Can't say your opinion is trustworthy considering your using board express over the wpcentral app! ;)

WPCentral app isn't Mobile Nations wide yet. I was also dealing with CB/iM/AC stuff at the same time so found it better to simply flip to the WPCentral site through Board Express than going to Start and opening WPC app that way.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 925, but I used to have a Palm Pre 2 which was equipped with wireless charging (albeit, before the Qi standard)

It was a nice thing to have, not having to futz with cables and just dropping it on the touchstone, but it really depends on you i guess. It's a really cool technology to me and a nice to have, but plenty call it gimmicky. I guess the deciding factor is (sorry but I'll have to refer to financials) whether the convenience and plain cool-factor of just simply dropping your phone on a pad (and not bothering with cables all over the place, trying to plug it in at night) is worth it to you.

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
It's Just amazing. I have quite a few of them (1 by the bed, 1 at the office desk, 1 built into a shelve next to me by the couch and finally a JBL Powerup speaker) The convenience of just leaving Your phone on a surface and let it charge is really a must if it can in any way be achieved.

At first I was skeptical about it, just having the one by the couch. But soon I knew I had to plaster all my surroundings with Qi. If I had to drive to get to the Office I probably would get the one for the car as well.

Just do it. :)

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

nokialove

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 925.

But I would say, if you're going to leave the backplate on at all times, it would be worth it. If you think the backplate is kind of ugly like I do, it's not worth it. Fumbling around with the backplate before you put it on the charger would be no better than plugging it in.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Cheers guys,

Yeah I think since I'm not going to have the charging case on any other time there's no point in it. After all it just creates the situation where you have that 'one more thing' to potentially lose/forget. Sounds like it's pretty slick if you're a 920 user though.

Thanks again.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
if you don't like covers don't buy the wireless charger, the idea about wireless charging is to be easy and simple, it does not make sense if you want to add the cover each time you want to charge... I have 920 and the wireless charger, I use it every day at my office at work, but do you know what it will not matter if i have a regular charger at my office, wireless charger gives me no added value and experience... I think it its luxury accessory that you don't really need....

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
if you don't like covers don't buy the wireless charger, the idea about wireless charging is to be easy and simple, it does not make sense if you want to add the cover each time you want to charge...
You're forgetting the people who will just leave the shell on (like me), since it doubles as a case.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the wireless cover works well as a case. It looks alot better than some of the cases I've seen for the l920.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 925, I have an 810 and a 920. I've also got a red wireless charging plate, and I've used it with both my Lumias. It's an okay and interesting thing but definitely not a necessity, IMO. Personally, I charged my 810 with a wired charger around 85% of the time, and I've been charging my 920 with one 95% of the time.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes placing a phone down on a pad versus plugging in a cable does seem trivial, but once you tried it you probably never look back. However, if you use your phone a lot on a bed or couch that need constant power supply, wireless charging is a POS.

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
If your in England and you buy it from Three they give you a code to get a free one from some website :p

I've never had a phone that can wirelessly charger, it will be interesting to see if it is as fast as wired charging
Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_253 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs