Heads up - No 4g with the lumia 925 on EE if bought sim free

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up for UK users,

I think this is buried somewhere on the lumia 920 forum already.....but this is important enough to reiterate here:

*if you buy your lumia 925 sim free like I have (I know that's not many of you but there must be some) then you will not be able to use 4g on EE*

It's the only thing I'm not loving about my new baby - I'm assuming the only solution (since there's no more navifirm etc) is to wait till nokia include it in a firmware update. Is it possible even to flash ee firmware? Really don't want a boot loader/ee logo splash screen so just going to have to grin and bear on without it.

I'm not sure what the situation will be like with the imminent 4g services arriving on o2/voda/3, but certainly on EE if you want to use their 4g you need to have got the handset from them (and they're not doing it at the time of writing).

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up for UK users,

I think this is buried somewhere on the lumia 920 forum already.....but this is important enough to reiterate here:

*if you buy your lumia 925 sim free like I have (I know that's not many of you but there must be some) then you will not be able to use 4g on EE*

It's the only thing I'm not loving about my new baby - I'm assuming the only solution (since there's no more navifirm etc) is to wait till nokia include it in a firmware update. Is it possible even to flash ee firmware? Really don't want a boot loader/ee logo splash screen so just going to have to grin and bear on without it.

I'm not sure what the situation will be like with the imminent 4g services arriving on o2/voda/3, but certainly on EE if you want to use their 4g you need to have got the handset from them (and they're not doing it at the time of writing).

Hi, check out this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/231135-product-codes-lumia-925-a.html#post2019512 and this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/230995-lumia-925-de-branding.html a few of us have been flashing away
The UK Vodafone rom comes with 4G enabled but it does have branding, splash screen etc.

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
It might be nice if the moderators could suggest this subject "Sim Free no 4G" for Lumia 920 and Lumia 925 for a small article on the web site! It would be good to see if they could get a reply from Nokia?

michael1782

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Product Code 059S7G4 is EE's product code. ive just flashed it and can confirm it comes with the 4G option. im taking it you got the phone off, Phones4You or carphonewarehouse, which would be why you've got no 4G option as EE, T-Mobile or Orange don't have the phone on there websites or shops. check in the " About " section in settings and see whats next to Carrier.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Product Code 059S7G4 is EE's product code. ive just flashed it and can confirm it comes with the 4G option. im taking it you got the phone off, Phones4You or carphonewarehouse, which would be why you've got no 4G option as EE, T-Mobile or Orange don't have the phone on there websites or shops. check in the " About " section in settings and see whats next to Carrier.

Yeah mate dead on......I bought it of carphone as a pre-order. Thought I had 'covered my bases' by triple checking it was 4g-ready but I guess wasn't shrewd enough to take into account that the firmware might not be activated for it....:(

Mark Renwick

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the product code.

I bought a contract EE from Carphone Warehouse on preorder and I had the same issue.

Standard firmware with no 4G option.

It was fun talking to both Carphone Warehouse and EE, neither of them had a clue even when I told them it was the firmware that was the issue.

Carphone Warehouse suggested I speak to EE, EE tried to send me a new sim card and then suggested I speak to Nokia!

Thanks to the EE firmware I now have 4G.

I'm amazed Carphone Warehouse are selling a 4G phone with 4G contracts that don't actually work with 4G due to incompatible firmware!

David Horn

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Handy way to get your money back from Carphone Warehouse in six months time when you want to upgrade, though!

*Takes screenshot of product page*

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll be moving to the UK to study this September and I'm not familiar with the telco situation there. Do you mean to tell me that if I bring my Singapore-spec Lumia 925 (which is unbranded) to England and get a SIM from EE, which is apparently the only LTE carrier at the moment, I won't get LTE no matter what? :crying:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa